Bachmann Class 08 (32-116B) Pick-Ups

I've currently got an old second hand Bachmann Class 08 (32-101A) which uses the old metal strip touching the top of the metal wheels to transfer power from the track to the motor. The performance is pretty ropey and I've been looking at using vero board and brass wire to fashion more effective pick-ups for it.

I'm thinking of getting the new 08 from Bachmann being released shortly (32-116B) and wondered if anyone knew if the pick up arrangement is the same as my old one or if newer chassis have wiper pick ups to the backs of the wheels?

Many thanks in advance.

Mark. 

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, digger62 said:

I've currently got an old second hand Bachmann Class 08 (32-101A) which uses the old metal strip touching the top of the metal wheels to transfer power from the track to the motor. The performance is pretty ropey (snip)

The Mk1 chassis does as you mention pick up from the wheel treads. All my 08’s are the Mk1’s and I rarely have problems with them, though they do benefit from regular pickup cleaning. This is easily done dropping the wheelsets out, and using Tamiya #87106 weathering applicators and IpA or a similar solvent for cleaning. And stubborn dirt can be gently scraped off using a small screwdriver. Make sure the pick ups have enough downward flex and pressure on them too, this will then give almost faultless running. It only takes ten minutes or so and its worth the effort. The Mk2 design needs less regular cleaning.

Edited by PMP

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ray

I treated myself to a set of DCC Concepts Wiper Pick- ups (there's 12 in a pack) and superglued them to the underside of the loco. I then stripped some single core wire and soldered this to the solder pads on the new pick-ups and ran it back into the body and soldered it to the motor wires (this version wasn't DCC ready). The bare wires were then covered with kapton tape.

Apologies for the fact it looks a bit of a mess, but it works really well.

Hope this helps.

Mark. 

IMG_20201222_101544.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have done something similar to digger62 and have to say the performance improvement is excellent, I used to drop the wheelsets out before every show to clean the pick ups and wheels but since fitting the extra pick ups I haven't removed them again.