What did you do to yours today?

PMW

I've spent this afternoon starting the baseboards for Wavenham, I had earmarked today to get them done but got sidetracked this morning. four boards will make the layout, made from 25mm chipboard with two inch strips as bracing. Weather permitting that will get finished tomorrow and then hopefully we'll have some photos of the bare boards ready to go. I have also prepared the arduino with the latest DCC++ Ex variant ready to do some testing, and the DCC sound chip for the A3 came today, plus a Lais chip for the Class 08. so hopefully by the end of the weekend we will have some track down, and the first trains running under DCC control. 

It would be great to hear (and see) what you have done today.

8 hours ago, PMW said:

I've spent this afternoon starting the baseboards for Wavenham, I had earmarked today to get them done but got sidetracked this morning. four boards will make the layout, made from 25mm chipboard with two inch strips as bracing. Weather permitting that will get finished tomorrow and then hopefully we'll have some photos of the bare boards ready to go. I have also prepared the arduino with the latest DCC++ Ex variant ready to do some testing, and the DCC sound chip for the A3 came today, plus a Lais chip for the Class 08. so hopefully by the end of the weekend we will have some track down, and the first trains running under DCC control. 

It would be great to hear (and see) what you have done today.

I assume you are building a non-portable, temporary layout?

Because chipboard is excessively heavy, especially 25mm thick,

and it is the worst material for boards, with no real strength and

disintegrates over time!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Nothing yet, but yesterday I built a Five 47 (Chivers) pigeon van and had an operating session, then ordered some stuff from Wizard/Comet for a GW E141 that I’ve got an aluminium body for, which will probably be the next project.  This order includes bearings which I’m out of stock of and are needed for the pigeon.  

Today I’m shopping for paints to finish the pigeon and replenish stocks. I’ll have a beer while I’m in town if I can get into any of the pubs; I’m not queuing outside for one though...

• Like 2

Today,  I have attached some brake gear to a part built van kit.

The same kit I have picked up, looked at and shuddered at the thought of doing the brake gear for the last two weeks.

I have also picked up another part built van kit and wondered where the rest of it is.

Later I shall be procrastinating over other part builds

Andy

(who doesn't like doing brake gear)

Edited by SM42

Put the finishing touches on a batch of LBSC coaches I have been finishing for a friend for a few months now. Two roofs to be glued on, a few last minute tweaks, and to the post office Tuesday they go - then I can attack the benchwork upstairs with a vengeance!

Amanda

• RMweb Gold

Again, nothing yet, but I intend to do the interior of the Chivers pigeon van this evening, racks for the pigeon baskets, guard's seat, brake standard, locker oppostie ducket and draught screen next to it.  And an operating session... 

I really ought to think about some pigeons.

Been soldering some DCC sockets.

I bought about 5 as they were cheaper than the pre-wired ones (which I am sure I bought for about £2 each a year or so ago <_<).

Wish I'd have plumped for the more expensive £3/£4 ones as it's annoying - they're so small!

And all this for a DVT type of vehicle that I just need lights for, so could easily hardwire...

I think I did it because the only spare decoder I have is a Bachmann one.  If I was to run into a Lais decoder in the future, I could swap it out and use the Bachmann for something more useful, like a loco.  But then I do have three Zimo decoders with no home in the box...

Then again, I need a socket for the loco that will go on the other end so maybe not too wasted I suppose.

• RMweb Gold

I resurrected a couple of Hornby T9s. 312 and 314 were both bought new about a decade ago, had done hardly any track-time, but when I dug them out a couple of months ago both had suffered mazac failure. Then 338 had a decoder melt-down a couple of weeks back, burning a hole in the tender. Never seen that in 23 years of DCC. So I bought a cheap 120 off ebay, which while advertised as a good runner actually had bulgered bogie pickups causing a short, while the bogie suspension was broken. People just lie. So the 338 and 120 chassis are now enabling 312 and 314 to have a new life. And I have a brass thingie which may enable me to resurrect another chassis. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Made a start on some O Gauge Accurascale HOP24/HUOs. Basing them on some Paul Bartlett photographs. Might take a while . . . . . . . . . .

Edited by Mick Bonwick
Amended HOP21 to HOP24, just in case anybody gets excited.
  • Like 1