What did you do to yours today?

PMW

• RMweb Gold

I sat and stared at it for about 45 minutes, doing no operating or modelling.  I claim this is not the same as doing nothing, because I am operating in a sense. I am imagining the various railway employee characters going about their business; the Leading Railman is doing the station accounts, the goods agent phoning a farmer to come and pick up his mileags stuff or pay demurrage, the signalman is catching up on his register having noted the movements on a pad in pencil, and the porters are off over the club having a sneaky pint.  And, I'm modelling in a sense as well. gazing over the scene holistically, noting what needs to be done, and formulating future plans for bushes and railings. 

Later I'm going to do more finishing off on the pigeon van.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

I sat and stared at it for about 45 minutes, doing no operating or modelling.  I claim this is not the same as doing nothing, because I am operating in a sense. I am imagining the various railway employee characters going about their business; the Leading Railman is doing the station accounts, the goods agent phoning a farmer to come and pick up his mileags stuff or pay demurrage, the signalman is catching up on his register having noted the movements on a pad in pencil, and the porters are off over the club having a sneaky pint.  And, I'm modelling in a sense as well. gazing over the scene holistically, noting what needs to be done, and formulating future plans for bushes and railings.

The goods agent is also having to deal with those farmers who have dropped diseased sheep on the line in the hope of wangling compensation out of the Railway. My old man found them a real pain in the Forest of Dean.

This evening I finished refurbishment of this bit of pointwork:

20201201_193307.jpg.e64f26a1073430f0efc67800f7d8ce36.jpg

... and reinstated it back into its original location.

20201201_201417.jpg.2d411911c5be567324b50e5b1e243a6b.jpg

Try to get into the railway room for at least an hour each evening (especially when a certain long-running sacrosanct kitchen sink drama is on the tele on Mon / Weds / Fri) and get something done.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I got my 3d printer working again. It had been poorly for a while producing a variety failed prints but hopefully that has been cured. Well, fingers crossed. 

• RMweb Gold

Ordered some Petite Properties kits for one of my Grandsons and a PECO Modelling tools set for the rest of the family (all as Christmas presents) as not sure what they have in their collective toolkit but Mum, Dad and both the brothers dabble in modelling. Also on today's shopping walk took some buildings photos for possible future scenic builds.

• 4 weeks later...

Been researching today.

I have some Lenz BM1 modules for automatic running of a branchline.  After testing a couple of years ago, couldn't get them to work reliably.

Fast forward a couple of years and I understand I could use an s88 occupancy detector and some reed switches / magnets on the train.  Seems fairly simple, but the s88 detector is £40.  Shame as just a few months ago, three plus another board sold for £40 on ebay!

Looking further though, there seems to be a small Raspberry Pi type of computer that you can upload some code to and it'll act like an s88 board.  The board costs £5.  Add another few components for about £5 and I should be good to go.  You get 16 slots for detection, which is the same as the s88 board.

Will add a build thread when everything arrives.  Just a case of getting the best one I need (some come with extras, others not).

• RMweb Gold

Postman delivered some Shapeways stuff this (yesterday now) morning, chimney stacks which have had pots added and been painted, weathered, and put on a row of Ancorton cottages, some ground disc signals which I’ve started by painting black; will paint the front of the discs later, and some Fire Hydrant position indicators which need painting concrete, yellow, and black H. 

Blew the dust off & had a play on my small O Scale shunty-plank "Lyddlow Goods" layout, all 4ft8inch of it, including fiddle-stick....

20210109_173935.jpg.8be5f7f8f3607c03d32a6b47efc1bb4d.jpg

20210109_173744.jpg.1bfad195fddc1b8f597b8dbbb23fe2cc.jpg

20210109_173808.jpg.74ee40ceaeee1e563a2751d08fcb3143.jpg

It's a very simple layout, built for a relaxing half-an-hour or so of pottering about with a loco & a few wagons. After all, everyone who starts in O Scale claims that's all the stock they'll need.... :jester:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Nothing on the layout, but there are some walls printing. I have also built a new bookcase for all the railway books to allow me to free up shelf space for other books. All the shelves are full already, might need to control by book purchasing habits.