Modelling BR Engineers' Wagons bookazine

Simon Bendall

15 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Just ordered hard soft back copy off Key publishing web site...

FTFY :mocking_mini:

An excellent book.... still thumbing through my copy and getting a few ideas for future projects to boost my departmental wagon fleet.

Thanks Simon for posting the Dace pic on this thread - I've screen captured / printed, and put it in the book. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Key Publishing are certainly good at getting them out into retail outlets. Both my local Tesco and Smiths have lots of them. 

Paul

I shudder to think how much Tesco et al will be screwing Key Publishing on price to get them into their stores, but at least it's nice to know that those of us who buy them from the publishers will be subsidising Tesco's shareholders!

Mike.

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I shudder to think how much Tesco et al will be screwing Key Publishing on price to get them into their stores, but at least it's nice to know that those of us who buy them from the publishers will be subsidising Tesco's shareholders!

Mike.

Publishing is more about turnover than most other things - printing is relatively cheap so the more that are printed and sold the more the profit for publisher and authors. Although I acknowledge there is some paid advertising content it has 132 pages many of which have several colour photos - I'm a very minor contributor and have 19 photos in it. I would guess this will be like some of those M&S railway modeller books of old a Xmas purchase by, and for, people whom would rarely, if ever, buy such a bookazine. 

Paul

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 12/12/2020 at 10:23, Phil Bullock said:

Just ordered hard copy off Key publishing web site...

On 12/12/2020 at 10:41, Kier Hardy said:

FTFY :mocking_mini:

An excellent book.... still thumbing through my copy and getting a few ideas for future projects to boost my departmental wagon fleet.

Thanks Simon for posting the Dace pic on this thread - I've screen captured / printed, and put it in the book. 

Ditto and ditto!

• Like 1

Collected my copy from my local independent newsagents this morning.

Only had a quick flick through as yet, but it looks brilliant (I had to look twice at the photo on Page 5 of the pair of 33s - can't believe that's a model, it looks so real!).

This publication will give me good reading over the next few days - moreover it will be a very useful work of reference for the future.

Thanks, and well done Simon.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

Only had a quick flick through as yet, but it looks brilliant (I had to look twice at the photo on Page 5 of the pair of 33s - can't believe that's a model, it looks so real!).

And the pic on page 71 also requires a double take.

• Agree 1

Really enjoying my copy too, thank you.  I have learnt lots of interesting stuff about some of my favourite wagons and why they were built the way they were.  For example, why lampreys and crabs had shrouds over their buffers - to protect them from being damaged whenever the drop down ends were lowered.  Obvious once somebody tells you, I guess, but until now, I had no idea.  A really well thought out volume with loads of inspiration: who knows, maybe enough to get me to break into my kit stash over the Christmas period and actually build something?  

Good job!

Best wishes, 

Paul

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

This is right up my street!

Working my way through my digital copy now, what a wealth of information, fantastic read so far, really hoping for a follow up, hope the sales have gone well.

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone else had issues ordering from the Key Publishing website?

I ordered this magazine and a few days later it arrived.....except it wasn't this, it was the latest Hornby magazine and the 2021 catalogue....so I sent an email, received an apology and was told a copy of the magazine I ordered had been posted that day....then this morning it arrived - great! Except....it hasn't....I now have a copy of "Britain's Railways in the 1960s"!

So another email has been sent.

I don't mind amassing a collection of magazines that I haven't paid for but will enjoy reading however it would be nice to receive the actual one I ordered! :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

There has always been something about engineers' wagons that I've liked with all the different varieties and uses and especially those painted in the departmental yellow and grey livery that I mostly remember, so this was a must on my Christmas list. Currently making my way through it and a very enjoyable read (especially when my Flangeway Salmon arrived whilst reading it) and a good source of reference for the future.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I think I heard about this book on Facebook and honestly I bought it to look at the the prototype information in it and I wasn’t disappointed. Then I suddenly said that’s one of mine! I have to thank you for the book about building my ballast wagon kits! My sudden departure from kit manufacture can be put down to a mixture of things, but mostly depression. When you cock up 5 dies in a row.....

One prototype in the book I had spent quite a long time looking at (other people call it researching) was the Plaice. I had hoped to use the underframe for other wagons, but l seem to remember they had been quite seriously modified. 

I like the Pilchard, but I don’t think my machine could squirt something that long. 

Roger 

• Friendly/supportive 4