Smoking Hornby class 155

Hello,

I finally got round to running a Hornby Class 155 sprinter (R2108) that had been sitting in a box the past 5 years or so.  When I applied power I was greeted by some puffs of smoke (no it does not have a built in smoke unit or so I thought).  Looking inside the motor unit I can see the occational spark and get and a smell like gun caps.  I am not sure if this could be some oil that has seeped in but there is no short as such and motor does run OK without shorting or pulling a load of amps .  

What should I do...?  

The ex-Dapol motors were notorious for being over-lubricated in the factory, resulting in oil softening the brushes which then disintegrate after very little running and often overheating causing the brush springs to weaken.  If there is no other damage, new brushes & springs and a clean of the commutator will probably cure the problem

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Let's hope there's no truth at all in the rumour that Hornby allegedly employed some ex-Lucas assembly workers. Who promptly fitted Lucas parts, including that infamous part of legend, the self-smoking wiring harness.

Lucas Replacement Wire Harness Smoke

http://www.orarc.org/?p=2348

Either that or they're channelling the spirit of Triang DMU's :)

• Like 1

Well I took the plunge and stripped down the motor and found it dripping with oil.  I also found the the brushes and springs were in desperate need of replacement.  Simple I thought I will order some new ones.  That is where my plan failed.

After checking the usual places (peters spares, new modellers shop and Lendons of Cardiff) X8314 and X8315 are all out of stock.  

So I suppose my question now is does anyone know where I can find replacement brushes and springs for a class 155?

5 hours ago, NS Peak said:

So I suppose my question now is does anyone know where I can find replacement brushes and springs for a class 155?

Do you have the option of replacing the motor with one from a CD-ROM, as can be done on Ringfield, Lima, & some Mainline motors?

Ian

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Let's hope there's no truth at all in the rumour that Hornby allegedly employed some ex-Lucas assembly workers. Who promptly fitted Lucas parts, including that infamous part of legend, the self-smoking wiring harness.

Lucas Replacement Wire Harness Smoke

http://www.orarc.org/?p=2348

Self smoking wiring harness?   The old Lucas Dynamos could barely make the lights glow let alone the wiring smoke. Not for nothing was Joe Lucas called the "Prince of Darkness"

I mis read the  thread, but a RTR 155 with sound and a smoke unit would be an excellent idea .