UK Launch - Coming Soon!

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Cash only?

14 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Free, or feel free to donate something in a couple of months if you feel like it.

12 hours ago, mozzer models said:

Paypal

11 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Bitcoin

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Barter

Do I need to listen to the video to understand what you lot are on about?

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Do I need to listen to the video to understand what you lot are on about?

There having problems opening a UK bank account  As a Non UK Ower with Covd 19getting in the way

Edited by mozzer models
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I know I am a little slow on these things, but does the MO (railway telegraphic code for Maidstone East, hence that route is the Barley Mow, and was Boat Train Route No 2) sign on the wall tell me where Andy lives?

And don't forget it was CTR 3 as well (although I only went over it once on a Eurostar)

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, mozzer models said:

There having problems opening a UK bank account  As a Non UK Ower with Covd 19getting in the way

Yes but it ain't that difficult - if Accurascale (Irish owned) can do it and Bachmann (Chinese owned) can do it there shouldn't be a problem - but that does mean they have to register as a business in the UK.  And surely it would be helpful for consumer protection (if nothing else) if they did register as a business in the UK - there's already one model railway company trading in Britain and quoting Canadian rules at its customers (not that I am, for one minute, comparing Rapido with what amounts to a largely unknown quantity in business terms).

• RMweb Gold

Now, without knowing who Accurascale or Bachmann bank with, there are banks that exist both in the Irish Republic and the UK (Allied Irish Banks comes to mind). Bachmann Europe is a plc, registered in the UK, and has been around a very long time (since 1989) and the regulations were different then, but in any case there were banks that existed both in Hong Kong (where parent Kader Industries was based in 1989) and the UK - notably HSBC (Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation in long form). Maybe the same applies with Canada, but if it doesn't this may explain some of the delay.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Yes but it ain't that difficult - if Accurascale (Irish owned) can do it and Bachmann (Chinese owned) can do it there shouldn't be a problem - but that does mean they have to register as a business in the UK.  And surely it would be helpful for consumer protection (if nothing else) if they did register as a business in the UK - there's already one model railway company trading in Britain and quoting Canadian rules at its customers (not that I am, for one minute, comparing Rapido with what amounts to a largely unknown quantity in business terms).

Sadly, you are incorrect.

Yes, Rapido have registered a UK business for Rapido UK.

But it is difficult at the moment to open a business account - if you look at the other thread* the banks in the UK have stopped opening business accounts as they try and deal with Covid-19 fallout, further complicated by that fact that Jason or other Rapido people cannot travel to the UK to deal with paperwork.

Which is why Rapido have made an appeal, both in their North American newsletter and via video from Andy, for anyone who can help them get past the current problems.

* -

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hello everyone.

As you would expect we are fully registered in the UK as Rapido Trains Ltd.

In its simplest form the problem is that most mainstream UK banks are currently not taking new business customers. I have been given a few reasons, some relating to staffing and operations during the Covid pandemic, whilst one high up person in a certain bank has explained its related to the Bounce Back loan scheme and issues with people being less than honest. Either way the result is they wish to focus on their existing customers during these unusual times and have suggested we talk to the New Year (it has been ongoing since September when I started).

There are a number of ‘online’ banks ie those with no real high street presence. Likewise these have been more willing to help now - but they in turn have been more likely to be put off by our Owners being in Canada.

Even the banks based in both the UK and Canada have been unable to help.

We have a few leads to follow up a d our recent plea has seen a few well placed people come forward to help us.

I can’t comment on other manufacturers but I think it’s fair to say they did t have the Covid issue causing mayhem so are not to comparable.

Our view was that with Christmas and everything else approaching we are very unlikely to get our account sorted along with having the time to test our systems and still launch our new range. This lead to the decision to announce our product range next month and then follow up with ordering after that.

We will keep everyone posted. Until then we are getting more and more excited about our announcement on the 1st December.

Take care,

Andy

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold

I can certainly confirm that banks appear to be really slow working at present. It took months for a new business account to be set up with our present bank which was needed because a charity changed its status to a CIO and therefore needed a different account. We were an existing customer and the whole process was protracted with very long waits for someone to speak to about progress, which was excruciatingly slow. They could not look after their existing customers let alone deal with new ones! I can only sympathise with Rapido.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Oh - yes I am a Maidstone lad. I have a real interest in the railways in and around the surrounding area - one day there may even be a book. Other than a decade in Leeds I have always lived in the area.

Andy

I used to do the Maidstone toy fair in the mid 1990s so maybe we already met. I'm originally from Gillingham but moved away 23 years ago.

• RMweb Premium

Seems incredible you can’t set up a business bank account in U.K. at moment . You would have thought we would be trying to grow the economy .  That said, I can appreciate there could well be a good few fraudsters out there trying to claim Covid grants /relief . 

looking forward to the launch 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

As well as Covid, the UK banking sector is a bit obsessed with Brexit right now. I moved to France in 2004 - from Cranbrook, near Maidstone! - and Barclaycard have been happy to have me as a customer until 2020, when they insisted that I must have a UK residential address......

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Oh - yes I am a Maidstone lad. I have a real interest in the railways in and around the surrounding area - one day there may even be a book. Other than a decade in Leeds I have always lived in the area.

Andy

Hello Andy,

Can I just ask do Rapido UK's pland include british N gauge, or will it be OO only?  

Best

Scott.

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, scottystitch said:

Hello Andy,

Can I just ask do Rapido UK's pland include british N gauge, or will it be OO only?  

Best

Scott.

As the man says, all will be revealed on Tuesday.......

Rob. 

• Agree 1