UK Launch - Coming Soon!

rapidoandy

On 28/11/2020 at 19:40, Oldddudders said:

As well as Covid, the UK banking sector is a bit obsessed with Brexit right now. I moved to France in 2004 - from Cranbrook, near Maidstone! - and Barclaycard have been happy to have me as a customer until 2020, when they insisted that I must have a UK residential address......

That’s odd. I moved out of the EU in 2003, to Switzerland, and Nationwide have never insisted that I have a UK address. It’s almost as if the banks are making it up as they go along. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 28/11/2020 at 19:40, Oldddudders said:

As well as Covid, the UK banking sector is a bit obsessed with Brexit right now. I moved to France in 2004 - from Cranbrook, near Maidstone! - and Barclaycard have been happy to have me as a customer until 2020, when they insisted that I must have a UK residential address......

16 minutes ago, truffy said:

That’s odd. I moved out of the EU in 2003, to Switzerland, and Nationwide have never insisted that I have a UK address. It’s almost as if the banks are making it up as they go along. 

EU legislation does not allow anyone living in the EU to have a bank account outside of the EU. Just another example why the UK needs to get a trade deal with the EU and find a way round this piece of legislation. There is similar legislation affecting North American companies to hold bank accounts in the UK.

A number of UK banks are currently writing to domestic customers at the moment as they plan to close bank accounts for the ex-pat Community living in the EU. The MP Roger Gale is currently tackling this: https://www.pressreader.com/spain/costa-blanca-news-south-edition/20201009/281513638618914

• Informative/Useful 3

9 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

I'd have thought people interested in modelling / collecting the SECR would prefer to have the real thing over generic carriages,  I've held off pre ordering any of Hatton's just in case any genuine  LBSC / SECR stock emerges 

People modelling the SECR will indeed want proper coaches that - at this time - can mostly only be obtained by building kits, scratch building or paying a fortune for someone else to make them (or paint them) for you.

But people wanting some SECR coloured coaches to go with their pristine SECR RTR locos will probably settle for Bachmann 60ft Birdvages (which appeared as Wainwright loco livery was being phased out) or Hattons coaches. I might use those as a stop gap until I find time to build proper mini replicas. Already the bulk of my wagons are RTR non-SECR later types painted in SECR colours. The Cambrian kits present another group, easy to build but represent types that appeared in SECR loco grey days. There are just a few kits out there representing relics from the LCDR and SER days which represent only a handful in my collection at this time.

I will welcome true blood SECR items, but suspect I'm in a minority of wanting something accurate than something that looks ok.

On the other hand, a few Hattons generics will be ok for me to go behind the Stirling single as I have no serious intention to make an accurate train there.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

EU legislation does not allow anyone living in the EU to have a bank account outside of the EU. Just another example why the UK needs to get a trade deal with the EU and find a way round this piece of legislation. There is similar legislation affecting North American companies to hold bank accounts in the UK.

A number of UK banks are currently writing to domestic customers at the moment as they plan to close bank accounts for the ex-pat Community living in the EU. The MP Roger Gale is currently tackling this: https://www.pressreader.com/spain/costa-blanca-news-south-edition/20201009/281513638618914

My UK bank has not contacted me or my wife yet to say they need to cease our services. Though we already completed various papers proving we pay tax in France and that our accounts are made aware to French tax services (not that the interest is anything really worth declaring!).

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Can you point me in the direction of the relevant legislation? It seems to be highly unlikely, more a case of someone making a strange interpretation of the law.

Not just a random question for me as I am considering a move back to France (or possibly further south).

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 28/11/2020 at 13:54, rapidoandy said:

Even the banks based in both the UK and Canada have been unable to help.

“International” banks turn out to be nothing of the sort. My employer has accounts in a number of countries with a number of banks: for example, HSBC in the U.K. can’t do anything with HSBC (US). They are effectively completely separate banks, who just happen to have the same owners. 

What’s really crippling many small international businesses is anti-terrorism and anti-laundering legislation: HSBC, again, has been so heavily fined in the US for not being vigilant enough against drug money being moved from Mexico to the US that all its international customers are now suffering. On two

occasions my (entirely innocent!) charity has had its US accounts frozen and a peremptory notice sent telling us they would be closed in 7 days and a check / cheque put in the post unless we proved that we weren’t money-laundering terrorists. We’ve been customers with them for decades, and some of our staff make a point of physically meeting our account manager at least once a year, so they see us in the flesh / get to see passports, etc. None of that was enough. 

International banking is becoming a nightmare, and my guess is it’s only going to get worse. My sympathies to Rapeedo (though since they’ve chosen not to work in 0, my sympathies go no further!)

Paul

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Fenman said:

We’ve been customers with them for decades, and some of our staff make a point of physically meeting our account manager at least once a year, so they see us in the flesh / get to see passports, etc. None of that was enough. 

Bank managers were relegated long ago in favour of the computer that says "No".

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Can you point me in the direction of the relevant legislation? It seems to be highly unlikely, more a case of someone making a strange interpretation of the law.

Not just a random question for me as I am considering a move back to France (or possibly further south).

To clarify, my understanding is that it is illegal for a French resident to hold a bank account outside the EU that has not been declared to the tax authorities. Not illegal to have one.

So. Based on the idea that the image for the countdown has to represent the items we're getting and they're not just random numbers for countdowns, an N gauge Stirling Single may be on the way.

Or it's just a convenient image :)

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, 69843 said:

So. Based on the idea that the image for the countdown has to represent the items we're getting and they're not just random numbers for countdowns, an N gauge Stirling Single may be on the way.

Or it's just a convenient image :)

Or on the other hand the number might well align with that of a particular loco on a particular (not very heavy) railway which also bought some coaching stock from a Company which painted its coaches in a maroon/claret colour - perhaps, possibly, maybe, maybe not?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Not true. the problem is an American law not an EU law

https://www.dw.com/en/europeans-scramble-for-bank-access-due-to-us-threats/a-51136862

Edited by Vistisen
  • Informative/Useful 2