UK Launch - Coming Soon!

rapidoandy

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

*cough* OO version of this. *cough*

http://www.lionel.com/products/star-trek-lionchief-set-2023130/

I would point out that Lionel does have a small HO range, and given that they already have the contacts and possibly license agreement with CBS/Viacom they may be a better choice (I know Rapido did once inquire about the license fees to do the "Amroad" paint scheme from the movie Silver Streak based on customer requests - the idea was quickly dropped)

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Anyway if it’s a UK model it would need to be Thunderbirds, Blake’s 7 or Red Dwarf based ;) 

Nope, pay attention to Jason's interests - it would have to be Dr. Who...

• Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Nope, pay attention to Jason's interests - it would have to be Dr. Who...

Not necessarily. Jason is a big collector of Countdown magazine. You can include most Gerry Anderson stuff in his interests. Sadly, most of that is licensed by Mattel, Sixteen12, and Corgi (aka Hornby)

1 hour ago, Vistisen said:

Not true. the problem is an American law not an EU law

https://www.dw.com/en/europeans-scramble-for-bank-access-due-to-us-threats/a-51136862

The issue you have linked to in that DW article is unconnected to Brexit entirely, and concerns only the Tax obligations of US Citizens resident overseas.

US Citizens are subject to domestic US taxation on their earnings made outside of the USA, even whilst residing outside of the USA, and they are required to submit tax returns to the US IRS (Internal Revenue Service) every year.

Only two countries tax their citizens like this; the USA and Eritrea.

A US Citizen living and working in the UK, earning money only in the UK (for example) is subject to US taxation as well as UK taxation.

However, to avoid the 'double taxation' issue the US Internal Revenue Service has certain financial exemption levels for each country.  For the UK it is currently circa US $100,000. 

If the US citizen earns up to the limit they do not pay anything to the IRS.  Over the limit then the portion over is subject.  The US citizen is, of course, able to take advantage of the tax deductable items to reduce their US tax liability.

The issue is a 'hot' at the moment because the US Govt require all banks in all other countries to submit financial information back to the US IRS on customers that the bank knows to be a US Citizen!  If the banks don't do it the US Govt issues fines upon the banks' US operation.  So the banks are chasing up their US Citizen customers to provide details, and if they don't, they close the account to ensure they don't get a fine from the US.

Trouble is there are more than a few 'Accidental Americans' in the world.

'Accidentals' are people who were born in the USA, thus had US Citizenship imposed on them from birth, but after birth resided and worked out of the USA. Typically this happens to people whose parents are non US Citizens but are in the USA at the time of the childs birth. 

Many 'Accidentals' don't have a Social Security number (it wasn't until 1987 that the US issued one at birth).  Others are unaware of their Social Security number, many have never held a US passport, and often the 'Accidental' doesn't realise that they must file tax returns to the US Internal Revenue Service each year.

So, if you were born to Non US citizen parents in the USA prior to 1987, never worked or lived in the USA and all of a sudden your bank in the UK tells you they are shutting your UK bank account because you haven't given your UK Bank your US Social Security number (that the US Govt never issued you when you were born and you never applied for because you never worked or lived in the USA) - you can see why these people might be a little bit concerned right now!

But then again, this issue is not connected to UK citizens residing in 'Mainland EU' past Brexit Day not being able to hold a UK bank account.

Good Luck Rapido UK.

Paul

Edited by bigP
  • Informative/Useful 3

A lot of these banking problems stem from the banking crisis of the 1990s and 2000s.

Where governments let banks virtually have a free run to do what they wanted. Then we had to bail them out when they got out of hand.

They were also turning a blind eye to rogue states and criminal activity. Look at the likes of Mugabe and Russian oligarchs money laundering.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54225577

Nothing at all to do with Brexit.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

I'm looking forward to the big announcement tomorrow... if only to steer the conversation away from international law and international banking!

(In depth discussion of tangential subjects: It's what RMWeb does best!)

:wink_mini:

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Funny 3

5 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Can you point me in the direction of the relevant legislation? It seems to be highly unlikely, more a case of someone making a strange interpretation of the law.

Not just a random question for me as I am considering a move back to France (or possibly further south).

Joseph,

'Passporting' is the issue at hand here - the mechanism by which a financial service* in one country within the EEA (European Economic Area) can serve a citizen of said country whilst citizen is resident in another EEA member state.

The UK ceased to be a 'Contracting Party' to the EEA Agreement back on 31st January 2020, however we are of course in 'transistion' currently so previous rules apply until 31st December 2020.

The issue currently lies within the EU solely.  The UK has enacted legislation to enable a citizen of an EEA member state to retain access to EEA member financial service* whilst said citizen is resident in the UK post 31st December 2020.  Its a bit of a moot legislation from the UK though to be honest, as post 31st December 2020 they could not have stopped the EU from legislating that such EEA citizens could continue to access EEA financial institutions whilst resident in the UK.

Sadly, the EU have not yet reciprocated, and so if not resolved a UK Citizen resident in 'Mainland EU' accessing a UK financial service* will have their UK accounts closed as of 31st December 2020. 

There may be a last minute resolution to this, even in the event of a no deal situation. 

For a while now the many EU 'family members' of UK banks have been in the process of transferring their UK Citizens' accounts to the recipricol bank in the member state  of which the UK Citizen is resident (where possible).  Ie HSBC UK transfers your UK account to HSBC France because you are a UK citizen living in Paris. 

This could just be a 'grab' to get business into the EU before enacting the reciprol agreement.  It could be a negotiating tool for the trade agreement.

* Financial Service - This is deliberatly vague as I'm still not sure exactly what financial services/institutions are implicated.  Is it just current/business banking, savings, credit or everything?  I think it is everything, but not 100% sure

You can read up on it a bit here...

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/sep/21/britons-eu-uk-bank-accounts-closed-lloyds-barclays-brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/sep/29/britons-in-eu-need-sufficient-warning-of-uk-bank-account-closure-warn-mps-brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/26/eu-citizens-uk-brexit-settled-status-jobs-banking-healthcare

Right now, like the US Taxation issue, the banks are just covering their backsides!

This too shall be biting me in the arse in a couple of years unless it is resolved!

Good Luck Rapido UK!

Paul

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Jason is a big collector of Countdown magazine.

My guess is 3D printed figures of Richard Whitely and Carol Vorderman and collaborative special editions of HST power car Mayor of Wetwang (pick your own numbers).  Perhaps in a presentation box with a cuddly ferret and a nice tnetennba.  Just classy stuff, no tat.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

27 minutes ago, mozzer models said:

Thanks for that, I'm not on Faceache, I was only looking on here. Now I've seen the picture I'm still hoping for a Spinner, which I've mentioned before on other threads for a few different reasons, or the Caledonian single in conjunction with Rails to go with their CR 812, a possible bone of contention with Hornby which could lead to repercussions - oh,hang on a minute! (I like a good conspiracy theory).

Edited by daltonparva

2 hours ago, AMJ said:

As an aside are the UK videos going to be posed onto the usual Rapido YouTube channel or are you planning upon a UK only one?  Please use the one that Jason places videos one.

As can be seen from the video that started this discussion the Rapido UK operation has it's own YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYZGFL3T7fRiHJHJYgrWvrQ

This is likely for the best as most of those following the other Rapido YouTube channel have no interested in the UK models and they would just flood the comments with needless negative comments.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Can you point me in the direction of the relevant legislation? It seems to be highly unlikely, more a case of someone making a strange interpretation of the law.

Not just a random question for me as I am considering a move back to France (or possibly further south).

Sorry only just seen this.

Have a look here: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/10/thousands-of-british-expats-face-brexit-bank-account-closures-what-to-do-if-youre-affected/

Its also been covered widely in the local press here in Spain.

Back on topic: Good luck Rapido with your announcement today.

• AY Mod locked this topic