Multiple Unit Working between different Classes e.g. Class 40 + Class 25

dan_the_v8man

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

There were a lot of workings in Scotland in the 1989s & early 90s where any blue star combination could be seen

20 / 26 / 37 in mixed pairs. Plenty of photos & videos exist.

In the '60s/70s Fort William trains from Glasgow (inc. sleepers) were often 27 + 20, the 20s used had a through steam pipe to avoid having to turn the locos.

Edin-Inv trains were double headed with 24/26s (or 24+26) and sometimes had an extra 24 added.

Other trains in the WTT were diagrammed for 25/27 (or 25+27).

I think these were done like this, as each combination was matched

i.e 24 & 26 were 1160hp and 75mph, 25 & 27 were 1250hp and 90mph.

Though, if needed, no doubt any available working combination would be used.

7 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

There were a lot of workings in Scotland in the 1989s & early 90s where any blue star combination could be seen

Any examples? Not found anything on Google myself so far, but then again I might be looking for the wrong thing 

30 minutes ago, dan_the_v8man said:

Any examples? Not found anything on Google myself so far, but then again I might be looking for the wrong thing 

2 min 39 secs 

lots of such working in the Railfreight type series books published at that time and probably in the VHS / DVDs of that period too

I created a model railway layout based on such books, vids & magazines of the time

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

Indeed, 20 + 37 was a regular combo on Ayr area coal trains in the late 1980s. 

• RMweb Premium

Delving through 1983 Modern Railways Pictorials this afternoon found some oddities.

25+40 came up several times, BOC tanks and track recovery from Woodhead, plus a 2x25+40

25+45 on a St Pancras - Derby passenger working

3x33 with 2 in multi and the other in tandem

2x31 assisting a 58 which had failed, but the 31s were inside, with the 58 leading

2x20 but in nose to cab formation

• Like 1

11 hours ago, keefer said:

I'm sure the general instruction in the GA/SA was a maximum of 3, i.e. in theory but as mentioned above, the real world could be a bit different for various reasons.

The Ravenscraig ore trains were usually 3 x 37, but the third loco was sometimes a 26, being added for the climb to Holytown.

Was told the reason for a max of three was due to a combination of volt drop through the jumpers and air pressure loss the reg air side, however when we asked the instructor who told this what about the Edinburgh Glasgow push pulls, he looked a bit bemused.

• Like 2

I believe the MU gear on 45s at least was removed pretty early. An MU arrangement on a peak (or a 40) would mean that the front loco and half rear locos tractive effort is transmitted by the rear bogie bearing on the second loco, which i think caused problems.

That and the need to multi type 4s was pretty limited anyway.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, dan_the_v8man said:

Fantastic! I've only ever had one up to 30mph with about 400t behind it, would love to have driven one at speed, though they don't look like the smoothest of rides :D 

They aren't too bad on welded rail , was a bit rough on the remaining jointed sections out in the flat lands. Must have been hell when it was all jointed all the way from Nottingham to skeg !

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, russ p said:

Aa great day a few years ago with mixed power in multi 

Didn’t they use DRS’s unique MU system when they paired up the different loco’s?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jools1959 said:

Didn’t they use DRS’s unique MU system when they paired up the different loco’s?

Its basically blue star with different jumpers,  they are a lot lighter and easier to fit 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, dan_the_v8man said:

So no compatibility with later locos?

DRS 37s have worked along with NwR 37s on test trains for example.

I think its only a different connector  - IIRC that it is a more reliable as well! (no doubt Russ will confirm/deny).

Not quite locos, but the Network Rail RTOVs and the DRS DBSOs are Blue Star, as is 975025 Caroline.  Plenty of DRS 37s to be seen on those duties

On 29/11/2020 at 00:14, jools1959 said:

I also though the triple 37’s on the Port Talbot - Llanwern iron ore trains were from the last built and rigorously checked before going out as the train was so heavy.  It was thought that there was nothing could move it if it died, especially on a bank.

I am not sure that was the case, as I understand it they did not need three locos for tractive effort, but speed where horsepower is king.  The ore trains ran on the main line between HSTs, and they needed to accelerate the train quickly to its 60mph maximum speed, and keep it there or thereabouts in order to complete the run without delaying the following HST.  I believe that a pair of 37's could haul the train over the route without difficulty, just not fast enough!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, newbryford said:

DRS 37s have worked along with NwR 37s on test trains for example.

I think its only a different connector  - IIRC that it is a more reliable as well! (no doubt Russ will confirm/deny).

Not quite locos, but the Network Rail RTOVs and the DRS DBSOs are Blue Star, as is 975025 Caroline.  Plenty of DRS 37s to be seen on those duties

There are adaptor cables to couple the drs socket to a blue star one . No compatibility between 57/66 and 68 and the older stuff. Basically blue star and 47s use an air operated throttle and the likes of the 66 is electric 

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, russ p said:

There are adaptor cables to couple the drs socket to a blue star one . No compatibility between 57/66 and 68 and the older stuff. Basically blue star and 47s use an air operated throttle and the likes of the 66 is electric 

Wonder if that means the 57/66 could work with 31/0 given a suitable adaptor? :jester:

What about the class 70s, are they compatible with anything else?

On 29/11/2020 at 19:13, caradoc said:

Indeed, 20 + 37 was a regular combo on Ayr area coal trains in the late 1980s. 

It was also quite common to have Class 20s as pilots between Stranraer and Ayr with 47s so in tandem rather than multiple. Pretty sure I've seen them used with 40s and 27s on that line too, but photos are eluding me at the moment

20201 47148 Stranraer 300384 20048 Stranraer Harbour 13/04/1985 20179 (ED) and 47534 (BS) at Ayr

• Like 2

On 28/11/2020 at 13:16, russ p said:

When DRS fitted multi gear to the 47s they could and did work with 20s and 37s .

I am not sure whether the 47 was dead or not in the consist of 37+47+90 at Colchester 17th March 2014

DSCN2956.JPG.6582fd5eb66dee78e6a0efd612d5f109.JPGDSCN2958.JPG.6032bd8f0f201250b7ffe9155c659b00.JPG

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, MyRule1 said:

I am not sure whether the 47 was dead or not in the consist of 37+47+90 at Colchester 17th March 2014

DSCN2956.JPG.6582fd5eb66dee78e6a0efd612d5f109.JPGDSCN2958.JPG.6032bd8f0f201250b7ffe9155c659b00.JPG

Looks like a wheel lathe move so probably not