Bulleid's Sleeve valve test - 2039 'Hartland Point'

Jack P

Hi all,

I am currently working on a 4mm project to replicate (or something close to that) 2039 in 1947 after Bulleid had worked his, errr, 'magic' on one of the remaining H1's.

I am in the throes of doing the same.

50658810158_146f24ac51_h.jpg

So far I have found photos in the following books.

- Bulleid Locomotives, a pictorial history by Brian Haresnape

- Leader and Southern experimental Steam, Kevin Robertson

- LBCSR Brighton Atlantics, James S Baldwin

- LBSCR Atlantics, Jeremy English

I have also perused these two websites:

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/SRSteam

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/

Can anyone suggest any other books that may be of use to me? I would pay through the nose for a blueprint, or GA, but that might be wishful thinking. In addition to that, if anyone has their own photos or research that they are willing to contribute, it would be most helpful!

Thanks in advance!

JP

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Here iis a very grainy and not quite sharp photo Dad took of it at Brighton.

*snip*

Brighton Works H1 32039 Hartland Point fitted with sleeve valves  JVol4149.jpg

David

Thank you very much David, everything helps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

I to am plodding along the same path, even down to having the sleeves moving in and out, with rotational movement thrown in for good measure, new cylinders fabricated, and the motion derived off of the rear of the crosshead. New 3' 8 spoke bogie wheels are required to clear the larger cylinder block. The steam pipes and associated ducting are a real nightmare to construct. The pipework for the lubrication is a nightmare I have yet to tackle. A Q1 chimney is on order as I think this is what Brighton probably used for 2039.

DSCN1874.JPG.d30c474c6a1af2b9416928576e78fe6d.JPG

DSCN1812.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Obadiah said:

nameplates which are on order from Fox

Were these a custom order? I had spoken to 247 developments at the end of last year but not heard back since then, so an alternate route would be excellent.

The plates for Hartland Point are a custom order from Fox.  On this occasion made somewhat easier as they already have the artwork for the H2 plates, so the amount of work with this particular custom order was less than would have been otherwise.

At the moment Fox told me that do not do intend issuing the plates for the H1 engines.

Jack P.  I do not think that Fox have gone to etch yet with my order for 2039. You might be able to piggy back on my order and save some time, suggest you contact Fox.

Incidentally, how's your rebuild going along? I'd be interested to view progress.

On 02/10/2021 at 16:59, Obadiah said:

Nearly there now.

More progress on 2039, and she is nearly there now. Man, there's an awful lot of plumbing on this loco! All that is left is some lettering, and the nameplates which are on order from Fox.

DSCN1950.JPG

DSCN1952.JPG

What a fantastic job Obadiah, of such an interesting prototype.

I often wonder if Mr Bulleid had had more time we would have seen more use of the valve gear. ;):D

Edited by gz3xzf