Heljan Class 50 Bogie Side-frame Removal

Clarky1000

• RMweb Gold

I don't own a Heljan Class 50 but I do have quite a few of their other loco's.

If they are the same then you should be able to prise the side frames away from the main bogie by placing a screwdriver between the wheel fronts and the frame (they should have two lugs that each frame pushes onto)

Jim

Edited by jcarta

Thanks jcarta

I'm sure you are absolutely correct

The problem is that the 50 (and the 37/4) have chains which other Heljan locos don't.

I want to know if the brake cylinders pull out  to allow the frames to be slid off as you say - without damaging the chains

Thanks

G

• RMweb Gold

I think you'll find that you can remove the brake cylinders as these are usually just pushed into place

I know on the deltic you can remove the lever that the chain is attached to from the body shell

I would use a small pair of tweezers and try and prise a different brake cylinder from the frame

Good luck

I discovered another issue....the 50s I have done so far have the bogie side frames glued on so firmly, they can't be removed. I removed the gearbox/wheel keeper plate, removed the wheels, weathered them, replaced, then weathered the underframe as normal.

If you do decide to remove the chains, they are secured to their anchor points by an end loop that can be prised apart and slipped off it's fixing point. A teeny dab of glue upon re-assembly keeps them securely in place.

Edited by blueeighties
Typo
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1