OTrail's Modern Image Workbench - Class 180, Class 222, Class 323 and more!

OTrail

It's been a busy month with work life etc. so I haven't had much time to model, let alone write about it! However, things are luckily slowing down, enabling me to dedicate more time to the hobby. I've also managed to get significant work done on some projects here and there.

First and foremost the 180... the paint has started to be applied and the transfers have been complete and scaled, all that's left to do is send them off for quoting.

775373513_image0(8).jpeg.52d93f021af147c80b7ae0bee43df3d1.jpeg

216841700_image1(3).jpeg.247c1724868956056e04bcfae5f517ee.jpeg

Elephant in the room: only two coaches have been done so far and one of them is in the barbie livery as opposed to dynamic lines! This was seen on 180110 circa 2011 due to its coach B being out for repairs... a true testimony to the reliability of the 180s! (credits flickr)

image.png.08577d6e3e6ad081b1006eedc4188801.png

In terms of the 175, not much progress has been made, except the Eurostar bogies have been cut and cast. This is also progress in relation to the 180 as the bogie frames are the same. So cosmetically, both the 175 and 180 are complete in terms of parts.

1972095042_image3(2).jpeg.f181d4e3da43836c4ed1a3b658378ef5.jpeg

27307850_image4(2).jpeg.cbfed35e3a8a0c633daffc1964d6cba4.jpeg

962708177_image5(2).jpeg.6467ea5088b8c3f0ec46cacc64aaf21f.jpeg

The Meridian, as mentioned above, has started to be resin cast, with a couple having been cast already and another currently being cast as we speak. Considering this is my first time undergoing the process, I'm really impressed and will definitely use it as a go to in the future for creating parts to save time and overall cost!

1544589362_image2(2).jpeg.79135fd4b0089c13d6ac0254e40eec1c.jpeg

I've also started a new project - a Class 150/0, which will go into GWR livery. Currently, progress is limited to the one DMSO and the centre car given work commitments (as mentioned above), but I should be giving it another go this weekend.

1637738601_image6(2).jpeg.cd87d3beb71022ca3aa0de39f4d9650b.jpeg

So there we have it - I currently have four DMUs on the go, with some EMU builds to follow following the completion of the main three (175, 180 and 222), so keep your eyes peeled over the next few months. Until then thanks for viewing and stay safe everyone!

OTrail

Edited by OTrail
  • Like 8

Thought I’d share the cast cab on the Meridian bodyshell as it is more or less complete...712BF91C-2E45-4077-968B-667749253907.jpeg.cb1e91fd66badf6845b76cd1d331b964.jpeg45403077-3695-484E-BDDE-8E3DB1B80F3E.jpeg.e462163a382ba67646a2d37377cbc268.jpeg

It’s coming along nicely, a lot of work to do but it’s a process! As can be seen in the photo I’ve used the master fairings to see what the unit would look like, but they still need fixing with the lower air dam, so this will take place over the next few days, afterwards the mould will be created for resin casting.

So that’ll be all for tonight - just a brief update to highlight the success of the resin cast cabs, that and to show that the project is moving at a faster pace now!

Thanks for viewing all, and as always, stay safe!

OTrail

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

Tonight’s update is again brief, but it highlights further progress with the Meridian. All carriages have now been constructed, and the 5 carriage unit is now together for the first time:D1DC7ED1-1466-47B8-B1FF-AF3D9183A669.jpeg.ef80024ed9178c6b51ed3e86c98c94f9.jpeg2C0753FD-7512-4382-9973-6A56586EAB78.jpeg.459899dfa82f08b9f7cc143ad010e70d.jpeg15109932-B86A-4EF1-8908-101901F406D3.jpeg.91af25bcc549c2bdf00014a30d91939a.jpeg

I’m very pleased with how this is coming along - especially with how well the resin casting came along, so Jack you can breath a sigh of relief as I won’t be needing those fairings after all!

A lot of minor blemishes need to be addressed before I can begin painting, notably adjusting the cut out windows on the trailer carriages and the roof on the buffet car which had some detailing come off due to poor storage. There is also another pressing matter in relation to the motor carriage in that during maintenance, the bogie frame snapped off:

CDC2212F-AECD-493D-8895-B0E901A28109.jpeg.899e5b5eacbdd6b460bbff3453d80e1e.jpeg

This now means that I am unable to run the unit for the time being until I get it fixed - so if anyone has a spare one, please let me know (will pay for it obviously!).

So that will be it for tonight - my attention over the next few days will focus on getting the 175 finished (bar electronics and transfers), as I have enough parts now to get it in that stage.

As always, thanks for stopping by and stay safe all!

OTrail

Edited by OTrail
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for the supportive comments - it means a lot!

It’s been a while since I’ve updated this thread, but I’ll keep this update short and sweet to show people what I’ve been up to over the past month or so...

The 180 has been temporarily shelved due to an accident that lead to one of the DMSOs being completely wrecked. I will be ordering one from CMAC in a few weeks as he has kindly agreed to keep one shell aside for me, which is greatly appreciated. 

The 222 will soon receive its paint job once I have altered the cut out windows, which I’m hoping will be done this weekend if the weather isn’t too great as it’s been recently!

Meanwhile, I managed to pick up and complete a respray project I’ve been wanting to do for a while now: the later-version of EMT’s HST power car livery as seen on the buffered sets obtained from Grand Central in 2018. This was done to get the lay of the land when it came to spraying the “swoosh” on the Meridian, which I’m pleased to say came out better than expected!449B8C29-A3FB-43EC-B1BF-4425476D9584.jpeg.edc4077348778c10829281dbbdad4691.jpeg67D561A4-8EC4-4F43-963C-C52A6C881974.jpeg.97b27d3a43628e8159ef4b84c111234c.jpeg

One powercar is 43423 “Valenta”, with the other one “West Hampstead PSB”. The numbers, some logos and the nameplates are from Precision labels, whilst the remaining logos and other minor details were done by Railtec. Far from perfect, but was definitely a good warm-up for the 5 car Meridian!

Another build I’ve been progressing with is “Project 360”, which involves converting two Bachmann 350s into two Class 360 EMUs; one will eventually be a 360/1 in unbranded Greater Anglia livery (suitable for both EMR and GA operations), whilst the other will be a 360/2 in TfL Rail livery, although the latter I’m in no rush to complete as I am aiming to complete the former by the time they enter service with EMR at the May TTC. I do have transfers for the latter, whilst ones for the former are currently in the works. My current progress on this is picking up faster than expected, as a couple of days into the build (including around work and my other commitments), the main construction is finished, with the paintjob to begin this weekend following a minor touch up with model filler:48B0685D-D305-4F4D-B5E7-B0A65E47D4A0.jpeg.4b9b7b806de613649f3793675b15d3de.jpeg

So there we have it - a brief update to show where I’m at and what I’ve been doing the past month or so. I do have a few other builds in the works, but these are not yet in a position to have progress shared as my motivation’s been lacking with a few of them lately!

As always, take care and stay safe everyone. Thanks for viewing!

OTrail

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

3 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

I'd really encourage you to build a simple layout and get to shows when we can.

Your work is really inspiring!

Thank you very much! I really appreciate your comments. As much as I’d like to build a layout my current living situation doesn’t permit for one at present, although that is on the cards in the future so I’ll keep this thread posted regarding that. The shows though I might consider as once things ease up, I should be joining a local model railway club, so stay posted!

• Like 2

Just stumbled across this thread - wow. Simply wow.

A few of your projects are ones I've got on my list of 'to-dos' too so it's really quite inspiring seeing what you've done.

Massive fan of it all, and I'll be back for any updates you put on! Bravo sir.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since I posted an update on here, but with lockdown restrictions easing and the weather being nice it’s been hard to fit in modelling time... as always!

The 360 is nearly complete - just need to resolve the long-standing issue of the windscreen glazing and finalise the artwork sizing to send off to Precision. Overall, the model’s coming along very nicely and I’m very pleased with the progress. Just need to be motivated over the next few weeks to have it ready for when they enter service with EMR at the May TTC!414F502A-C604-476C-ADA4-C93F3BE0E4C1.jpeg.30c3fb46a08a8fb1096b98a3541ee45e.jpeg

D3FEBB94-DB27-4EAA-A29C-5EB2E8495316.jpeg.68ce898b2b2674dbc9529d73a56de9f8.jpeg

My DMU builds have seen little if any progress, but I will persist and get them finished as I now have the mojo to continue modelling after a bit of a break on the real railways and meeting up with selected friends and family outside - the 180 bodyshell is still pending, however I do plan on getting the 175 finalised over the coming weeks. 

I’ve also been working on a little something in the EMU department which may interest certain followers on this thread... DEDA5AB0-55AE-49B0-914F-1EDCF4041DC1.jpeg.a4f5b1245cf1156b2dddd1253abc1efe.jpeg

No prizes for guessing what this is for, but it’s almost ready - just need to resize some sections and it’s ready for sending to PPD Ltd. As I’m more confident with creating artwork on Illustrator now, I’m planning on creating 323 etches over the coming weeks as well seeing as “modernmultipleunits” is taking a while with producing alternative parts for this particular kit. This means that Projetc 323 is in the process of rising from the ashes!

I’ve also made a very spontaneous purchase on eBay, and thanks to a follower on my Twitter page (my username is @midland__london for those who want more real time updates of what I get up to within the hobby), I now have some chassis to go with it. Debranding will commence soon, but what will it end up as? That is something I’ve been wondering myself...

C3DF7186-8B75-4014-AAA7-C29BCDD0F00E.jpeg.ccfae92e6feca7ca7b9697d930ffd7a7.jpeg

And just for fun, my EMT buffered set side-by-side with my “classic” EMT set!439F8ABD-D2CB-4B73-A5FA-B09FE0C77976.jpeg.e343859bb968db9bfbb64292870aac97.jpeg

So that’s what I’ve been up to recently and what I’m planning on doing over the coming weeks, so stay posted as I play catch up on a few projects that are either deferred, in progress or I have just picked up!

As always thanks for viewing all, and stay safe as restrictions ease and enjoy time outside!

OTrail

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Wagonmaster said:

Great stuff as always. Funnily enough, I emailed Modern Multiple Units today about the Class 323 window etches and bogie sideframes. He said he hoped to have them available next month.

Cheers! I wouldn’t bank on it - he said that back in October/November last year! But who knows - only time will tell with that one. I may just do it myself as I’ve put the kit off for too long... just want to get it finished lol!

• Like 1

Awesome work with that 360 pal! It looks amazing.

With regards to the 323 and 175, unless I've missed it (wouldn't be the first time), but what are you using for the chassis and bogies? I've got the 3-car bodies in a boxes but with no idea how to go about the bits to get it actually usable.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JackB95 said:

Awesome work with that 360 pal! It looks amazing.

With regards to the 323 and 175, unless I've missed it (wouldn't be the first time), but what are you using for the chassis and bogies? I've got the 3-car bodies in a boxes but with no idea how to go about the bits to get it actually usable.

Cheers.

Thanks for your kind comments Jack! They’re greatly appreciated.

First with the 175, I shortened a pair of Eurostar bogies and resin cast them as they seemed a close enough match, although might be worth dropping Charlie a message as I see he’s recently managed to get some bogies 3D printed. The chassis are from a Bachmann 170, which became redundant from a few I chopped up for my ongoing Electrostar build.

The 323 also used the 170 chassis, albeit they were robbed from a job lot 166 I got on eBay a few years back for cheap. I’m currently in the process of scratchbuilding underframe equipment from plasticard and other bits from the Bachmann 166 and resin casting the lot, although saying that I haven’t done any work on the equipment since last summer!

Edited by OTrail

On 12/04/2021 at 14:48, OTrail said:

Thanks for your kind comments Jack! They’re greatly appreciated.

First with the 175, I shortened a pair of Eurostar bogies and resin cast them as they seemed a close enough match, although might be worth dropping Charlie a message as I see he’s recently managed to get some bogies 3D printed. The chassis are from a Bachmann 170, which became redundant from a few I chopped up for my ongoing Electrostar build.

The 323 also used the 170 chassis, albeit they were robbed from a job lot 166 I got on eBay a few years back for cheap. I’m currently in the process of scratchbuilding underframe equipment from plasticard and other bits from the Bachmann 166 and resin casting the lot, although saying that I haven’t done any work on the equipment since last summer!

Many thanks for that! I don't think I noticed him getting some bogies made, so I'll ping him a message.

Keep up the great work.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've had the same issue with my 323s, still sat as bare bodyshells. I suspect they'll end up as unmotored as they'll spend more time sat on display than moving - maybe use a simple Hornby 153/156 power bogie. I'll probably hold out a while yet and see if he produces the underframe parts. Someone (sorry, I forget who) mentioned the Southern Pride bogies, I'll probably use those with his 3d-printed sides - they're listed as for class 507/508/313/314 but they are pretty similar aren't they?

I have to admit a 175 is tempting, especially if the bogies become available. A 180 would be, but it'd be too long for my layout!  

7 hours ago, JDW said:

I've had the same issue with my 323s, still sat as bare bodyshells. I suspect they'll end up as unmotored as they'll spend more time sat on display than moving - maybe use a simple Hornby 153/156 power bogie. I'll probably hold out a while yet and see if he produces the underframe parts. Someone (sorry, I forget who) mentioned the Southern Pride bogies, I'll probably use those with his 3d-printed sides - they're listed as for class 507/508/313/314 but they are pretty similar aren't they?

I have to admit a 175 is tempting, especially if the bogies become available. A 180 would be, but it'd be too long for my layout!  

Exactly - personally his biggest mistake was not providing the additional parts as with his PEP kits. Would’ve happily waited if he was producing the additional parts but it is what it is. At least this way I can make parts for a large fraction of what they’ll be sold for and save a bit more... which I must admit is getting harder with the hobby nowadays!

I’ve got a bunch of 170 motors spare which is ever growing, so I’m just using them. The 170’s a smooth runner as it is so the running quality won’t be an issue, just a case of modifying it and the bodyshells as appropriate! 

I still need to finish my 175 now that you mention it... still need to figure out what to do about the lighting though!

7 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Try using the Hornby 395, as most EMU now have the same bogie wheelbase (8'6" metric version of) and same wheels (world 11mm in 00). Plus the motor bogie is cheap as spares, so not waste much cash if goes wrong lol.

I’ve got loads of 170 motors spare which are at no additional cost so I’ll be using that - also saves the problem of searching for/providing weights to an additional chassis!

20 hours ago, JDW said:

That was me JDW, also posted a photo of some modified for a Class 310 and 313.  I've also used them for a Class 303 and 504! They are useful as they have plain sides designed to attach sideframes to.

As far as motorisation goes, I've tended to use the 8'6" Hornby bogies. Cheap and reasonable peformance. 

I'm tired of my 323 bodies sitting there so was going to make some chassis for them and use the SPM bogies and Hornby motor bogie. It's just the window etches I could do with really.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, OTrail said:

Exactly - personally his biggest mistake was not providing the additional parts as with his PEP kits. Would’ve happily waited if he was producing the additional parts but it is what it is. At least this way I can make parts for a large fraction of what they’ll be sold for and save a bit more... which I must admit is getting harder with the hobby nowadays!

I’ve got a bunch of 170 motors spare which is ever growing, so I’m just using them. The 170’s a smooth runner as it is so the running quality won’t be an issue, just a case of modifying it and the bodyshells as appropriate! 

I still need to finish my 175 now that you mention it... still need to figure out what to do about the lighting though!

Curious about the problem with the lighting?