OTrail's Modern Image Workbench - Class 180, Class 222, Class 323 and more!

OTrail

• RMweb Premium
On 15/04/2021 at 21:16, Wagonmaster said:

That was me JDW, also posted a photo of some modified for a Class 310 and 313.  I've also used them for a Class 303 and 504! They are useful as they have plain sides designed to attach sideframes to.

As far as motorisation goes, I've tended to use the 8'6" Hornby bogies. Cheap and reasonable peformance. 

I'm tired of my 323 bodies sitting there so was going to make some chassis for them and use the SPM bogies and Hornby motor bogie. It's just the window etches I could do with really.

Ah, apologies and thanks - it was late and I was trying to answer quickly! I'm the same but on the other hand haven't been able to prime them over winter so wasn't too worried. Now the weather's improving I might try and get on with them again. Definitely need the window etches, I'd forgotten those. I reckon I could make a 'chassis' from some thick plasticard I have in stock, but the underframe parts would be beyond my patience and skill levels! 

No problem JDW. I've joined and filled my 323 bodies, but that's about it. I need the window etches to check that they'll fit in the recesses in the window apertures before any priming and painting. Maybe OTrail might get there first with the etches and make them available?

I figured on using plasticard for the chassis/floor too. That way I can fix the bogies and at least have a rolling unit. Long thin strips of plasticard are going to be quite flexible, so I figured using thinner strips and laminating them together would make a more rigid chassis/floor.

The Hornby motor bogie will be visible through the windows, so I was going to place this in the centre car. By doing this I'm hoping it will be less noticeable.

Anyone thought about the orange dot matrix type destination indicators? Does anyone do these and for Midlands destinations?

On 15/04/2021 at 21:19, Wagonmaster said:

Curious about the problem with the lighting?

Problem is it will require bi-directional lighting and a top marker one - no kits are available although I’ve got a few LEDs suitable lying around, but in all honesty wiring my own lighting isn’t my strong point :scratchhead:

10 hours ago, Wagonmaster said:

No problem JDW. I've joined and filled my 323 bodies, but that's about it. I need the window etches to check that they'll fit in the recesses in the window apertures before any priming and painting. Maybe OTrail might get there first with the etches and make them available?

I figured on using plasticard for the chassis/floor too. That way I can fix the bogies and at least have a rolling unit. Long thin strips of plasticard are going to be quite flexible, so I figured using thinner strips and laminating them together would make a more rigid chassis/floor.

The Hornby motor bogie will be visible through the windows, so I was going to place this in the centre car. By doing this I'm hoping it will be less noticeable.

Anyone thought about the orange dot matrix type destination indicators? Does anyone do these and for Midlands destinations?

I’m hoping to - my plan is to use PPD Ltd so I’ll most probably make the artwork available for a small fee, so once I’ve finished feel free to PM me. I’m hoping to get started within the next few days - I’m on my way to the West Midlands as we speak so I can get more decent photos of the prototype!

My chassis are being robbed from a 166 - it’s amazing how many projects I’ve managed to complete with that simple Bachmann chassis :D I’m thinking of doing JDW’s method of using the hot water and whilst the shape is warping back to its intended dimensions, use it against the chassis to ensure a snug fit. The 166/170 motor is visible through the windows, but it’s a smooth runner and still has the capacity for seating to be added!

Plan is to create artwork on Illustrator and either print it myself using decal paper or contact John at Precision Labels - for reference, I’ll be using the dot matrix font from 1001 fonts. However, this will be after I get the 360 finished (it’s almost there - should be finished by the end of next week should all go to plan), as well as a 365 build which I have planned as part of the Great Northern farewell of the units.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2021 at 10:20, OTrail said:

I’m hoping to - my plan is to use PPD Ltd so I’ll most probably make the artwork available for a small fee, so once I’ve finished feel free to PM me. I’m hoping to get started within the next few days - I’m on my way to the West Midlands as we speak so I can get more decent photos of the prototype!

My chassis are being robbed from a 166 - it’s amazing how many projects I’ve managed to complete with that simple Bachmann chassis :D I’m thinking of doing JDW’s method of using the hot water and whilst the shape is warping back to its intended dimensions, use it against the chassis to ensure a snug fit. The 166/170 motor is visible through the windows, but it’s a smooth runner and still has the capacity for seating to be added!

Plan is to create artwork on Illustrator and either print it myself using decal paper or contact John at Precision Labels - for reference, I’ll be using the dot matrix font from 1001 fonts. However, this will be after I get the 360 finished (it’s almost there - should be finished by the end of next week should all go to plan), as well as a 365 build which I have planned as part of the Great Northern farewell of the units.

On the dot matrix front, have you seen model transport graphics on eBay? I think they will make bespoke to order.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/modeltransportgraphics

• Informative/Useful 2

• 4 weeks later...

So once again, it has been a very long time since I’ve updated on here (I much prefer to post my updates on Twitter - @midland__london for those who want to follow), but thought I’d update this blog with what I’ve been up to...

Still need to finish the 360, but the only thing left to do is get the transfer artwork finalised and sent to precision (it’s been a really busy couple of months and in all honesty I’ve lost motivation with the transfers!) - I just need to make a few final tweeks, then we’re good to go.

In the meantime, I have managed to get it in a position where I was able to get a photo of the model in front of the real thing on the first day of service (soft launch) on May 9th!

77145AE5-A670-422E-977E-9386E260EFF9.jpeg.d745754573c4b3ddf6902152295abe0f.jpeg

I’m sure you’ll agree it looks the part - just need to get motivated enough to touch up and apply the transfers and it will be complete. This will be going as 360116 (conveniently the same unit in the photo!)

The replacement 180 DMSO has finally arrived as well (thanks CMAC!) so I’ve been making quick work of that and resumed Project 180. Progress wise, it’s now almost there - the paint job has been finished as well...FC3A7209-273B-442D-850E-E1CB8A1C3022.jpeg.41f79eec5d97c352b37877d57d429289.jpeg

C03AC323-EF48-425E-A2FF-1C560D8FCEAA.jpeg.ed5d3e7e70b3abba5e9022ac817af2f4.jpeg

I just need to varnish the unit and add transfers, then I can move on to sorting out the electronics. @Wagonmasterhas kindly sent me over a circuit diagram for bi-directional lighting (wiring my own lighting isn’t exactly my strongest point), so will be giving that a go at some point once I acquire some 3mm white LEDs.

I also need to sort out the chassis on the DMSOs as you can see - I have some spare 170 bogies stored somewhere so it’s just a case of searching for them, replacing the bogie frames with my own resin cast versions and screwing them on. Wiring and cosmetic detail application on the underframes also need to be done, and from what I’ve been told @m0rris is planning on making some glazing available soon so I’ll be on the forefront for those once they’re ready!

Also a bit of an FYI for those modelling the FGW/GWR Adelante... Railtec’s FGW MK3 transfers provide the logos/coach lettering/ATP signs which are present on the 180, it’s just a case of the dynamic lines which will be sorted out separately. My unit is now being changed to 180104 as it has operated with every long-term Class 180 operator (minus EMR), meaning it has the flexibility to operate for GC, Hull Trains and FGW/GWR. Would have liked to model the OOC liveried version unveiled at the open day back in 2017, but when I saw it come out of the shed I knew it would be way too complicated!!

47D0B0CD-26E6-4C3F-8C05-39901A0273C0.png.2b57087146b6721325ac9017d6b1f9a9.png

Also I’ve managed to find the replacement motor bogie frame stored back at home, meaning I should be resuming the Meridian soon once I get the 180 over the line!

So there we have it - major progress with some projects more than others, but I’m pleased at the pace at which things are moving. 

As always, take care and stay safe everyone - enjoy doing things as well now that we seem to be on the right track to heading back to normal!

OTrail

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm really interested in your projects, particularly the Meridian.

But most of the pictures are not showing, just a long filename, is that a problem at my end viewing the forum or is it an RMWeb problem?

Thanks,

Pete

13 hours ago, PeteB said:

I'm really interested in your projects, particularly the Meridian.

But most of the pictures are not showing, just a long filename, is that a problem at my end viewing the forum or is it an RMWeb problem?

Thanks,

Pete

Unfortunately RMweb had some server issues and as a result lost a lot of files. Most of us have had to re-upload these pictures, and I suspect he's yet to get round to that.

More info here -