New 7mm Finescale Society

Arun Sharma

7MM SCALE SOCIETY
The 7mm Scale Society is a new, modern and independent on-line society for finescale* modelling in scales between 1:43.5 and 1:48. This therefore incorporates both UK and worldwide finescale modelling as well as 7mm narrow gauge and Scale Seven.
We welcome all [over 18 years of age] finescale modellers in these scales whether their interests are primarily in railways, road vehicles, scenic elements or maritime features.
From its formal launch on 1 January 2021, the society will provide members with access to its new on-line web-based forum. This will feature member-generated content and enable sharing of modelling, prototype information, photos and video links. There will also be active news, editorials and links to other sites. The society is currently live on-line in advance of that date.
We believe we are friendly, informal, economical and all about modelling. We know we have no silly rules, hierarchies or extra baggage.
The first year’s subscription is just £5 which we believe correctly reflects the economy of an on-line only forum.
For more information, contact 7mmscalesociety@btinternet.com or visit 7mmscalesociety.org
*7mm finescale railway modelling in the UK is based around the wheel and rail standards in use by leading manufacturers in the UK such as Slaters, Peco, Minerva, Dapol and Heljan. Thus it excludes tinplate, clockwork, 3-rail and coarse-scale whose adherents enjoy their own alternate societies.

Edited by Arun Sharma
punctuation
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 2

3 minutes ago, dpgibbons said:

It's not a good idea to charge for online content before showing it's worth paying for.  

At jut a fiver ( A pint and a half  o John Smiths in real terms) I think that it is a very reasonable offer.

Especially if, as I assume, it is a reaction and answer to the doings of "an older society" in the same scale/gauge.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

A fiver might be a good investment for GOG-refugees looking for a home, but if it's going to be a venue for grumbling then who else would pay for that? If they want a broader audience then I suggest they allow non-members to view but not post until they have established themselves.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dpgibbons said:

A fiver might be a good investment for GOG-refugees looking for a home, but if it's going to be a venue for grumbling then who else would pay for that? If they want a broader audience then I suggest they allow non-members to view but not post until they have established themselves.

It's not been made byGOG refugees. There is nowhere to grumble on it and it has no secrets.  It's modelling only, and it has to be payed for somehow. Thats all the fiver is for, otherwise it wouldn't exist!  Advertising pays for the forum we are on here.

Edited by fail safe
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, fail safe said:

It's not been made byGOG refugees. There is nowhere to grumble on it and it has no secrets.  It's modelling only, and it has to be payed for somehow. Thats all the fiver is for, otherwise it wouldn't exist!  Advertising pays for the forum we are on here.

A forum with nowhere to grumble?

I can think of one or two others than might be improved by that concept.

Might not be quite as exciting though.

If there are no secrets, can you tell us who is running it? I can't see any names anywhere, other than the Facebook page being run by a cat.

• RMweb Premium

Look no further, other members of the group have posted on here too. We have 50+ members, doubled since the weekend.

Esme Negre who shares my office & looks after the Facebook group is below.

Dava

A10DA2AA-83AE-48DF-A986-6FD95EFBC84B.jpeg

• Like 9

22 hours ago, dpgibbons said:

No, a fiver is literally nothing to spend on something that may matter a bit to you, and may start new ideas.

It may just  help get a new group, with new ideas off the ground....

The works and products of the likes of Dapol, Heljan and a few others have made  the possibilities of 7mm scale a different, and better, world in the last few years

The older group had possibly (just my own view from being in there a a paid up member a few times) outlived its usefulness in 2000 2020

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

The Group is brand new and "feeling its way." It therefore needs funding. Not everything can be free. How it develops is up to the members. That in itself is a novelty worth paying for.

I am in so many societies I lose count, none has so small a fee as £5. Some are more like the £30 quid mark.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

It's a society without huge financial undertakings and without the baggage of certain others.  Having been a 0 gauge orphan for a few years I bit the bullet. I've been a member for nearly a week now and only seen very positive things. It bears no relationship to anything I've seen before in this scale and is just the ticket for the future. Membership seems to be creeping up every day.  Certainly changed the world of 7mm scale for me. If anyone missed it and genuinely wants to join in the scale-specific fun for a fiver, here's the link https://7mmscalesociety.org

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

On 30/11/2020 at 14:42, Arun Sharma said:

We welcome all [over 18 years of age] finescale modellers

I assume this restriction is purely for safeguarding reasons relating to under-18s taking part? I’m only asking because I was a member of both the 009 Society (where I was made to feel very welcome) and briefly the 7mm NGA (which I didn’t participate in as much, but I’m sure would have been equally welcoming) well before I was 18, and allowing younger people to participate seems a good way to create something new and modern, and promote the hobby to a new audience (which seem to be key objectives). On the other hand, I can completely understand why those setting this up might not want to take on the extra burden of said safeguarding responsibilities, especially in the context of an online forum (although it is a closed forum, which theoretically should make such things easier to manage).

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I wish the new group well but I won't be joining. I spend enough time on the internet as it is and having RMWeb and the Guild as my two railway related internet discussion places is enough for me. For my Guild subs I get a nice magazine, discounted entrance to shows (remember them) plus a forum for an organisation with thousands of members, many of them highly skilled modellers.

My hope is that once those who have been clearly unhappy being members of the Guild make the move to the new group, that the Guild forum will be able to go back to essentially a modelling place, rather than a place full of accusations, insults and suchlike. I note that such activity is not permitted on the new forum, so that shouldn't ever get into that position.

So that might mean two happy, friendly places for 7mm modellers to talk trains.

• Like 4