IR/ NIR coaches

Robert Shrives

• RMweb Gold

A quick tidy turned up a not lost but buried box of old part built treasures! After a bit of -as it turns out not quite good enough prep I leapt into action with Rattle cans  - Seville orange and Inca yellow.  The Orange one will be a tippex livery coach  5408, a 1972 Derby build exported to Ireland and became the Presidential  coach and now preserved, basis is a Lima coach and Bill Bedford sides - been part built best part of a decade...  The Yellow driver trailer was an intermediate vehicle on the  NIR 4 piece 80 railcar sandite set. - the only non motor car in the consist. IIRC 752, but it will get right number in time Railtec transfers in stock ready.

Both quick sprays have shown up limitations and will need a bit of rework, but it is progress.

645037331_Irishcoaches301120004.jpg.83e9aca41bc3b8a4fcc4ccfe2479dd46.jpg1261172144_Irishcoaches301120001.jpg.6242cfa25fea1e87c83c86ac2320683c.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

More coach action - a good day yesterday with 12 bodies getting a bit of progress ! 

900155131_Irishcoaches301120006.jpg.3571cf5001c6519d49d13b354c08c4b8.jpg

NIR 8911 - roof hatch and exhaust box  fitted side grills are trimmed class 37/4 units, new roof vents fitted and round grill is an  n gauge class 47 grill.  I realised it has taken a decade to get this far... 

219281034_Irishcoaches301120013.jpg.9555b8784f6df06ae1c0470f354c2760.jpg

End shot of a Brass etched - MTK  MK 2 EGV,  plasticard  roof hatch as etched one would double as armour plate.  0.4 mm wire for roof lift lugs and exhaust elbows formed by cutting up a mould sprue from a Tomix N gauge  lorry details pack! The enlargement shows why this has sat around for 20 years - the end gutters and roof shape just do not match. Now with a few years and a few more doubtful skills in bashing I will carve off end and refit 0.5mm lower which stopped progress years ago .  

Today has seen some faffing with Kaydees and lima chassis units to give a method of batch fitting couplings.    

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

292324282_Irishcoaches301120005.jpg.883f8816caa657649df16a26d48e56a1.jpg

EGV showing whole affair hinges and handles to add, one of a pair from MTK many years ago funnily the other has hinges better done - however some thought here as a landing provided for hinge etch so easier to mask/ paint and add later hinges etc in final detailing . Three white dots by door steps is that etch allows folding steps but leave a gap in shell below - so this is plasticard to close. 

1939294133_Irishcoaches301120026.jpg.28abbc340da7bb1294667680e70edd2d.jpg3 devlopement shells, top is Halford Ibis White , middle is a slightly botched Gen brake  914, Railtec verson 3 of NIR loco livery with white stripe and logo panel. Bottom is a SO with Darius created Version 2- no white stripe and logo on dobyside colours   914 is Precision NIR coach grey and the SO is a Halfords ford grey.  The all white will I think gain a dark blue stripe and be a test bed for livery 4 the bumble bee stripes version. The blue looks to be  sort of Reg rail dark blue  so rattle cans ready. - I will get a match using a MM 201 model.       

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

647981653_Irishcoaches301120008.jpg.ff4628f263c582dc4958137cdec81095.jpg

Revisited 5408 with the gaps filled and a dose of paint again - issue with ends so a spot more filler, need to drill for commode handles and sort some vent axia roof - N gauge 3D print bogie retaining pins or a kitmaster 3mm version might work, something for tomorrow. 

576285987_Irishcoaches301120023.jpg.563c1846afc0cb74484e163baf5ed7d9.jpg

A case of the start of 547 the 1969 MK2B catering car - the one that breaks the myth as it was built new  as a catering car early MK2 along with the MK2d caterers for CIE. BR having plenty of Mk1s catering vehicle I guess not really a priority in the build plans.   This is a Lima  SO  with window holes cleaned out and squared up blanks easier to cut.  The right hand and one on otherside were MK2 sealed style units so will be a bit of bashing with window lower frame to be let in to the side - a bit of an airfix coach is the idea at this time, I can see a Shawplan etched frame to finish at some point...   546 (RSS 1800) and 548 the TSOT all on the bench having what could be called TLC. 

Tonight has seen a concerted effort to mug up the floor pans - 12 fitted with mounts for Kaydees and painted, once teamed up with a shell the extra undergubbins can be glued on.  phew.     

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

292324282_Irishcoaches301120005.jpg.883f8816caa657649df16a26d48e56a1.jpg

EGV showing whole affair hinges and handles to add, one of a pair from MTK many years ago funnily the other has hinges better done - however some thought here as a landing provided for hinge etch so easier to mask/ paint and add later hinges etc in final detailing . Three white dots by door steps is that etch allows folding steps but leave a gap in shell below - so this is plasticard to close. 

1939294133_Irishcoaches301120026.jpg.28abbc340da7bb1294667680e70edd2d.jpg3 devlopement shells, top is Halford Ibis White , middle is a slightly botched Gen brake  914, Railtec verson 3 of NIR loco livery with white stripe and logo panel. Bottom is a SO with Darius created Version 2- no white stripe and logo on dobyside colours   914 is Precision NIR coach grey and the SO is a Halfords ford grey.  The all white will I think gain a dark blue stripe and be a test bed for livery 4 the bumble bee stripes version. The blue looks to be  sort of Reg rail dark blue  so rattle cans ready. - I will get a match using a MM 201 model.       

Revell paint No 52 is a dead ringer for MM 111 & 201 NIR dark blue. A while back I changed MM 8113 to 111 by simply respraying the cabs with Revell 52, which matched the rest of the loco perfectly.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, David Jackson said:

Revell paint No 52 is a dead ringer for MM 111 & 201 NIR dark blue. A while back I changed MM 8113 to 111 by simply respraying the cabs with Revell 52, which matched the rest of the loco perfectly.

Brilliant info. just dived into my tinlet collection- and I have Revell 51 !  But have an agreed visit to pick up and collect from Tornado books today, so hopefully I can go up one number. P264 Which is Chiltern blue v close to 51.  Thanks 

Robert  

• RMweb Gold

That looks spot on  Revell 51 too dark, Humbol gloss 14  close but slighly yellower in tone, Precision paints Chiltern blue dammmmm close when wet, have to see in an hour when dry if the line shows - done on inside and edges of spare cab.    Could well be hunting for revel 52 at this rate ! 

I found the Revell 52 when I was living in Portrush just when the Bumble Bee livery was starting to appear. I started to build a rake of coaches in that livery, the coach behind the loco in the picture was the first of them. I tried a number of different blues, and compared them with the real thing at Portrush station. The 52 was a perfect match so I went for it. Imagine my surprise when some 25 years later Murphy Models produced the 111 and 201 in a blue that was a dead ringer for the 52.

I have to say that the body of the loco in the picture looks slightly darker that the cabs, but it is just the light. The walkway also looks lighter that the body, but it was never repainted and is original MM blue same as the body.

• RMweb Gold

Revell  52 on order ! That was a step forward today along with some rattle can action on 5408 - which now is ok for me. black to add when orange hardened fully- Sunday to be safe.  Some bogies started for EGVs and 80 class using Southern pride nylon inners - makes for free running units with decorative side frames glued on.  

The backward report is that my yellow 752 is wrong - it is right for another driver trailer mod  but 752 has differing windows around the leading passenger door so that will see another bodyshell subject to a hackenbash alteration in the future.      

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A few transfers being tried out . 767825871_Irishmodels161220007.jpg.2ef4c594ebc80eef1ebfd9f608965242.jpg

upper coach  826 - older blue NIR stripe thanks to  Darius  who produced a sheet for me , on MIR NIR IC grey. Below is 904 in Halford  Audi ibis white with Railtech NIR Intercity blue with white edges. Which looks more cheerful  to me.

2128263947_Irishmodels161220009.jpg.3f9aae962330d38118ed1356917f6f8a.jpg

GSV in Black and Tan now with white stripe and glazing added. Etched sides on Triang BG - the overlength one. more tiddly bits to hang on outside. Biggest fail is no fuel/ water fillers on the corner but hopefully it will look ok with some Cravens and a 141. I have Southern pride B5 bogies for it but have to sort  bogie mounts. This has to one of my first forays in to CIE in 4mm - perhaps 20 years old.. no rush mind you. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well , I need an expert !  I tried fitting the Vac formed finecast glazing to the coaches and not good . I certainly do not have enough packs to get enough even close to good fit.  I was wondering if somebody could draw up a window set for the Lima MK2 and I could approach York lazer models who will "do" lazer cut on 1mm acrylic and get a suitable standard file cut and then perhaps York could sell on to others as surely I am not alone ... ? 

I know Brian at Shawplan has thicker glazing suitable for the Gatwicks/ MK2D s but currently nothing earlier in the MK2 story.  

I hope you can help ....!

Robert  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks , This is what I had found ! As David has said a case of out with the paint brush.  I guess it made livery easier to spray .  I am trying to convenience myself that NIR grey on these coaches is infact BR rail grey, which was called pearl grey and I guess is so near to white it is often hard to descern the rail white stripe on BR stock .

However the Rattle can I have - Audi ibis white is so close to pics taken in bright sun  it does look good .

What I cannot reconcile is the pic on page 35 of Rail runabout of a driving coach in a darker/ duller grey compared to 3 coaches behind . Also a similar but not the same train on page 67 of  35 years of NIR where the caoches do look  white - but I cannot see a definitive white line next to the blue.   I really am open  to thoughts on this or other pics        . The Gen pic above does seem not to have a white line on the sunny side below the tail lamp and the body colour decidely a grey, closer looking it is also noteworthy the end weathering/ grot not the same density.  (off to lay down in a darkened room to dream of time travel!)    

Photos, depending on the angle and lighting can throw up different variants that can add to the confusion!

If you look at your own photos above, the blue and the grey on the side view look spot on, but the photo of the end view suggests the blue stripe on the left hand side looks darker than the right hand side, as does the yellow stripe!

If the colour looks right, I don’t think anyone could argue the point 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 10:22, Robert Shrives said:

Thanks , This is what I had found ! As David has said a case of out with the paint brush.  I guess it made livery easier to spray .  I am trying to convenience myself that NIR grey on these coaches is infact BR rail grey, which was called pearl grey and I guess is so near to white it is often hard to descern the rail white stripe on BR stock .  

The BR "pearl grey" was more akin to the light grey used on upper panels on railcars 1967-70 with maroon below.

The shade used on the "Enterprise" stock in the 1980s was still a light shade, but very significantly darker than the BR shade. In real life, even when clean and in bright sunshine (neither being THAT commonplace!) it still wouldn't have looked whitish.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well new arrival in the armoury available to Irish modellers. 

5995386_IrishEGVgrills09032021004.jpg.df5a4232ec6bb099f200aa273f98ca50.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/MidlandValenta  

Parts prepared for a 3D print EGV - the coach shell in devlopement and of course this resulted in MM doing an announcement for the MK3 range - but this body likely to be available shortly and as above grills £2.50 plus postage seems a good way forward for EGV dutch conversion and correcting the grills on the Bill Beford etches - almost right for originals but new vents at some point with revised frame.   

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

6 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

Well new arrival in the armoury available to Irish modellers. 

5995386_IrishEGVgrills09032021004.jpg.df5a4232ec6bb099f200aa273f98ca50.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/MidlandValenta  

Parts prepared for a 3D print EGV - the coach shell in devlopement and of course this resulted in MM doing an announcement for the MK3 range - but this body likely to be available shortly and as above grills £2.50 plus postage seems a good way forward for EGV dutch conversion and correcting the grills on the Bill Beford etches - almost right for originals but new vents at some point with revised frame.   

Excellent are these available to purchase online at the moment?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Noel, 

Yes available now, the Midland Valenta gent did note I had paid for 6 at £2.50 and had chucked a couple in as spares  so I did rather well , just need to find the Dutch EGV and mark and drill sides !  Please go via link on my post  and should get you in contact. He was helpful and fast.

Robert  

• 11 months later...