Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

tubs01

Hi Tubs. 

Looks like I'm in a similar position to you are. I'm 18 and not only I'm also working on a budget but also a limited amount of space too. I'm in the process of constructing two OO gauge micro layouts using two cardboard slabs salvaged from a Ikea cupboard delivery. Because of the small budget, I've used items that have been pre-built and were used on my larger OO gauge layout which is now packed away. 

I've put the links for both layouts above. Feel free to have a look. Good luck with the layout I'll be watching with great interest.

James.

• Like 2

'Restored' HAA hopper. Not that good but way better than what it looked like before... I wish they weren't so expensive, despite them being very old and second hand they still manage to all be around 17 quid each on eBay. Shame really since I would love a ckass 58 in railfreight triple grey hauling around a very short merry go round train.20210119_183109.jpg.f3a31d64cc4cf6fd2b9aaa258932d81d.jpg20210119_183132.jpg.90ff06ad4302551b4ace0299e980de08.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ianmacc said:

The hopper is good. Like the scrapes on the side.

Not sure how the crew would access the coal on the grey Locomotive? 

Do you mean the blue loco? I painted it RAF blue so I guess that's why it looks a little grey. As for you question I have no idea either!

46 minutes ago, tubs01 said:

Do you mean the blue loco? I painted it RAF blue so I guess that's why it looks a little grey. As for you question I have no idea either!

I did yes. RAF blue actually looks good on little locomotives now I’ve seen it. Wouldn’t have thought of it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tubs01 said:

I'd imagine that it's the same way the crew of the 264 would've got to it. There is probably a small hatch either side of the backhead for the fireman to shovel coal out of.

Hi Tubs,

Good to see there are more of us out there!

Im 15, with one difference.

Im in the USA. (My state is Oklahoma) 

Your J83 looks excellent. The piping certainly adds a lot. 

I definitely understand the budget thing. I find gardening pays best. Overtime you’ll discover all sorts of “domestic rubbish” that can be turned into many many things. 

Here’s a link to my most recent project. (Yes Im one of those strange pre grouping types) 

Douglas

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 01/12/2020 at 20:06, tubs01 said:

...snip...  As for era, while this will sound absolutely horrendous, I don't plan on basing it on any era, ...snip...

Same here, era OR country:IMG_20170903_221434.jpg.14e72718db1246028aea35da8de033bd.jpg

100_4281.JPG.ad8c4bc6939c9e52278a7b14ebacde87.JPG

Mixing countries can be fun also:

100_4090.JPG.d2ec64cd2cc1b4d5b803cac3322e1449.JPG

Mixing scales can sometimes be problematic :o :

102_5318.JPG.1c9c4f818076c4ce4919d4084e4b9430.JPG

102_5321.JPG.afee7304dcd605d5203fa823bb0bc698.JPG

Basically it is your model world and you can do most anything that you want, from hard-core rivet-counter* to fantasy like Thomas.

*Note: I was once paid to count rivets!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Rockalaucher101 said:

I'd imagine that it's the same way the crew of the 264 would've got to it. There is probably a small hatch either side of the backhead for the fireman to shovel coal out of.

From what I can remember there were also small bunkers on the left and right side of the cab which no doubt had a hatch for the external bunkers

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Same here, era OR country:IMG_20170903_221434.jpg.14e72718db1246028aea35da8de033bd.jpg

100_4281.JPG.ad8c4bc6939c9e52278a7b14ebacde87.JPG

Mixing countries can be fun also:

100_4090.JPG.d2ec64cd2cc1b4d5b803cac3322e1449.JPG

Mixing scales can sometimes be problematic :o :

102_5318.JPG.1c9c4f818076c4ce4919d4084e4b9430.JPG

102_5321.JPG.afee7304dcd605d5203fa823bb0bc698.JPG

Basically it is your model world and you can do most anything that you want, from hard-core rivet-counter* to fantasy like Thomas.

*Note: I was once paid to count rivets!

If they thought the difference between OO and HO was big they'll have a heart attack when they see this

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, tubs01 said:

If they thought the difference between OO and HO was big they'll have a heart attack when they see this

The first two photos are U.S. O scale (1/48).

The third is an HO locomotive with a Bachmann OO MK1 and a class 66 hiding behind the E8.

The fourth and fifth are an On2½ loco operating on a friend's HO layout

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

The first two photos are U.S. O scale (1/48).

The third is an HO locomotive with a Bachmann OO MK1 and a class 66 hiding behind the E8.

The fourth and fifth are an On2½ loco operating on a friend's HO layout

The big difference in loading gauge between the United States and United Kingdom means the H0 and 00 scale American Locomotive and British Coach doesn’t look wrong. Other way round would be a different story! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, ianmacc said:

The big difference in loading gauge between the United States and United Kingdom means the H0 and 00 scale American Locomotive and British Coach doesn’t look wrong. Other way round would be a different story! 

Not to mention that HO is 1/87 and OO is 1/76 so the smaller UK stuff looks just about right on an HO layout. Here is a view, 66s among some SD/GPs:

100_4079.JPG.61816ad12b456ac920db1c3c7ae409f2.JPG

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, tubs01 said:

From what I can remember there were also small bunkers on the left and right side of the cab which no doubt had a hatch for the external bunkers

Yes the bunkers extended into the cab, either side, as shown on my own Pug conversion. It was common I think to pile up coal where you have done so as coal capacity was otherwise very limited and both the Caley and the North British, which used these loco's often ran them with crude tenders made from short wheelbase wagons.

WP_20200417_10_51_50_Pro.jpg.23f5fde852c8b167989e66763f78a148.jpg

• Like 5

I feel stupid typing this, but I was dissasembling a hatchette mk1 when the weight dropped out. It was a bit dull, but when I scratched it, it was shiny underneath which tells me that it is lead. I'm now really worried, and I'm gonna be fir the rest of the week. Now I don't want to do any model work because I'm scared that my tools are contaminated with lead (I used my scissors and a file to lift the weight up so I could use the scissors to put it in the bin). Any advice is appreciated. I kniw it's not a big deal but I'm really, really worried

14 minutes ago, tubs01 said:

I feel stupid typing this, but I was dissasembling a hatchette mk1 when the weight dropped out. It was a bit dull, but when I scratched it, it was shiny underneath which tells me that it is lead. I'm now really worried, and I'm gonna be fir the rest of the week. Now I don't want to do any model work because I'm scared that my tools are contaminated with lead (I used my scissors and a file to lift the weight up so I could use the scissors to put it in the bin). Any advice is appreciated. I kniw it's not a big deal but I'm really, really worried

Hi Tubs,

Just wash your hands in hot soapy water and do the same with your tools. Such a short exposure to a lead weight won't kill you, it is also very unlikely to do you any actual harm from your description.

If I were you I'd be more worried about eating trans-fatty acids, refined sugars, and homogenised milk than touching a piece of lead for a second or two.

Look on the bright side better to look stupid for asking a question that may be regarded silly than to end up looking even more silly for not asking it.

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

Don't panic, you have to ingest a lot of lead to have any effect.

You could pick it up and put it in the bin, but I would keep it as 

a weight in the coach, the oxide (dull coating) actually forms a

barrier which is less harmful.

I handle lead regularly, just like a lot of plumbers and roofers, 

and so long as you wash your hands thoroughly, you'll be fine.

Lead poisoning happens with long term (years) exposure.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, tubs01 said:

Be careful but don't worry too much. Lead used to be very common (e.g. lead based solder) and AFAIK as long as you don't ingest it you should be ok. Unless you are using it all the time just make sure you wash your hands, as you should after using any glues or paints etc.

Also you should get it back out of the bin as by thowing it away like that you are going to poison someone or something else. Put it in a clear plastic bag and dispose of it according to your local council requirements.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tubs01 said:

Thanks, I know it's nothing to worry about but I just panic. I'm going to replace my tools and brushes just to stop me worrying, which I know is stupid but if I don't I'll just keep on worrying 

Tubs,

Don't waste your money, just wash them and put them back in their box.

Lots of houses water supplies were through lead pipes and a fair few still are, it is possible the house your parents and almost certainly those of your grandparents lived in had lead pipes.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3