Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

tubs01

I don't know what it is but everytime I point out a flaw with one of my locos on here, said flaw just magically dissapears! That J83 has ran like rubbish for god knows how long but tonight it ran perfectly 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, tubs01 said:

I don't know what it is but everytime I point out a flaw with one of my locos on here, said flaw just magically dissapears! That J83 has ran like rubbish for god knows how long but tonight it ran perfectly 

Space elves from the planet Zarg. 

• Funny 1

11 hours ago, 33C said:

Wheel rims are painted white so that if the tyre slips or moves on the rim a definitive line is seen and the wagon/coach can be removed from the formation.

Hi

I know but the rest of the wagon is battered and hasn’t seen a works for ages so it’s a peculiar combination weathering wise. 

7 hours ago, tubs01 said:

And thereby a way to fix them! I may try it!

Why does my brake van keep derailing on points?

I’ll try it tonight to see if it’s fixed lol...

Edited by ianmacc
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, ianmacc said:

Hi

I know but the rest of the wagon is battered and hasn’t seen a works for ages so it’s a peculiar combination weathering wise. 

Yeah I've been planning to swap them out for a while I just haven't got round to it

Bought some 'professionally' weathered TTAs on eBay. the one in the more accurate livery looked alright but I think I might repaint the shell one! fictional EWS livery maybe? always liked the white and grey. Also bought a Hornby card kit of a goods shed mostly out of curiosity, I can't find any info about Hornby making card kits online. Knew they used to make a lot of 'town and country' plastic kits but I'll just have to wait to see the quality of the kit.

15 minutes ago, tubs01 said:

Photo from a while ago of the J83 chassis. It wasn't advertised as DCC and obviously I have no way to check if it is DCC so if anyone can identify what it is thanks20210127_193456.jpg.81c8eb06fe3b11ec676e47d2a260b464.jpg

It looks like it could be, but hard to see from this angle. Is there a PCB among those wires at the back?

Hi all,

It would be easier if I did not have to stand on my head to see this picture.......lol. But it does not look like it has a pcb on it.

Here is the type engine  that would be cheap for you to build. It was originally an old Hornby Pug chassis and a load of old scrap out of my stock of scrap. It only took a couple of days to put together and I am sure you could build something similar.

DSC_1056.JPG

DSC_1057.JPG

DSC_1058.JPG

DSC_1059.JPG

Edited by cypherman

23 hours ago, tubs01 said:

Photo from a while ago of the J83 chassis. It wasn't advertised as DCC and obviously I have no way to check if it is DCC so if anyone can identify what it is thanks20210127_193456.jpg.81c8eb06fe3b11ec676e47d2a260b464.jpg

It doesn't look like it has a PCB. If it was DCC I'd think we could tell straight away but yep, it's analogue. 

I give up

Don't have a soldering iron and even if I did it's not like I can resolder it because it's near on impossible to get the body off (last time I managed to get it off it came of with such force that parts went flying everywhere and I had to clip the motor and shafts back in) 65 quid wasted :)20210413_204807.jpg.698d69e6d0596f3896356890bc6b8e1c.jpg

...Spoke too soon? Still runs, and it's quieter and smoother? Well to err- celebrate?  I've made the front plow fixed and added screw links. pipes pinged off last time I got tge body off so I'll get the Hornby detail pack when I can.20210413_213018.jpg.82def6e7716d5d9063dd27b7ba4debe5.jpg20210413_213041.jpg.b29a9c54d4e9ee38cdfdc382627455c7.jpg

• Like 1

Would it be hard to renumber a Hornby GBRf 66? I saw 66755 today (first time I've seen a class 66!) and I'd love a model even if it wouldn't fit in with the mid to late 2000s time period of my layout

I also did some more stuff to 6700320210414_195542.jpg.ce7f3ce125be15496960c6c62610eda0.jpg

On 21/04/2021 at 22:49, tubs01 said:

After some detailing and oval buffers I'm loving this thing to bits. My layout won't have catenary but when this things running I can always pretend there's an imaginary third rail!20210421_190815.jpg.bb59d8f1cc47d11f09ea97db019512c8.jpg

A third rail is really easy to represent. If you just want the illusion then gluing scrap rail to the outside of the sleepers on one side will look fine from normal viewing angles and will bug you less than having nothing there. For catenary you can buy really cheap laser cut gantries and imagine the wires like I have done. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ianmacc said:

A third rail is really easy to represent. If you just want the illusion then gluing scrap rail to the outside of the sleepers on one side will look fine from normal viewing angles and will bug you less than having nothing there. For catenary you can buy really cheap laser cut gantries and imagine the wires like I have done. 

I've looked at the Dapol catenary a while back, but honestly I don't really want wires on the layout, and making an excuse foran electric loco or EMU to be on your layout can provide some interesting modelling!

Bent 6" nails (into an 'L'), straight into the board, and black, haberdasher's cord or thin, black knicker elastic is the way to go for super-cheapo OHL! (And you wont break it when you lean over.....)   :locomotive:  :D

• Funny 2

9 hours ago, 33C said:

Bent 6" nails (into an 'L'), straight into the board, and black, haberdasher's cord or thin, black knicker elastic is the way to go for super-cheapo OHL! (And you wont break it when you lean over.....)   :locomotive:  :D

You’re one calendar month exactly too late 

• Funny 1

I mean OHLE would work for my layout. It's going to be a totally not fictional line somewhere in the midlands and I'd have it connect to Tamworth or Burton-on-Trent. With the former there would be catenary and also a wider selection of traction, virgin, XC, west midlands and a whole host of electric locos but at thr end of the day it all boils down to if I can be bothered. We'll see in a little while

• Friendly/supportive 1

I would also like to get another loco, which probably isn't a good idea as I only have so many wagons and zero coaches! But I also want a new loco so I think I'll get one, just what to get. I think it would be wrong not to get a 66 as some point but at the moment I need something versatile. I was thinking of getting an ex-lima 47 and repainting it in cotswold rail livery and doing the usual detailing, as it's quite a nice livery and it could really be used on anything, just a case of finding the transfers really

Just now, tubs01 said:

I would also like to get another loco, which probably isn't a good idea as I only have so many wagons and zero coaches! But I also want a new loco so I think I'll get one, just what to get. I think it would be wrong not to get a 66 as some point but at the moment I need something versatile. I was thinking of getting an ex-lima 47 and repainting it in cotswold rail livery and doing the usual detailing, as it's quite a nice livery and it could really be used on anything, just a case of finding the transfers really

Hornby did make a cotswold rail 47 in the mid 2000s but it was the old tooling, and while it is fundamentally correct in its proportions from what I've heard, it'd still need loads of work, most noticeably with its ride height and the bufferbeams. The Lima 47 isn't the best out there but it's a better starting point

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, tubs01 said:

I would also like to get another loco,

I warned you about this a while ago, tubs, the slippery slope.  One of us, one of us…

It is clearly too late for you now, all hope is lost, resistance is futile, one of us, one of us…

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I warned you about this a while ago, tubs, the slippery slope.  One of us, one of us…

It is clearly too late for you now, all hope is lost, resistance is futile, one of us, one of us…

I have found that refusing to buy something on ebay unless I am able to collect it on foot or by bicycle is a very good curb on impulse purchases (and it makes them pretty much impossible during lockdowns when you're at your most vulnerable). For items of larger value, the price alone is enough to put the brakes on while I consider whether its really worth it.