Much older Royal Mail vans

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

In the early 50s, Royal Mail used a Morris LC van. Vanguard made a 1/43 example but Budgie/Morestone offered a very basic version. Does anyone know the scale of the Budgie model? Finally, has anyone ever offered a 1/76 version either as a kit or RTR.

Thanks and Stay Safe

56D7C51F-57BE-4901-B39F-CC8E4D3254C0.jpeg.95491d8000f95eb1a4fe69d10aff8dab.jpeg

37A239C4-BC6B-4766-AFEC-EE368A8DBCF0.jpeg.90ca0ff860af421510cbd09c20b8c16c.jpeg

Edited by Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson
9 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

I don't know if there's one on the RTI list, Jack:-

https://www.roadtransportimages.com/shop

Hi,

Thanks Phil, RTI do offer the ‘long bonnet’ Morris cab, which could be incorporated into a Royal Mail van with a scratchbuilt body.

Thankfully, the Vanguard model (below) provides some of the details that cannot be seen by looking at pictures and I might acquire an example if only to use it as a guide. Finding 1:76 Royal Mail decals might be a pain.....

Cheers and Stay Safe

5032740E-03AA-4251-B0C4-80BCDE06E985.jpeg.b7d10e0066c194d635fab755be9389f9.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

Hi,

Thanks Phil, RTI do offer the ‘long bonnet’ Morris cab, which could be incorporated into a Royal Mail van with a scratchbuilt body.

Thankfully, the Vanguard model (below) provides some of the details that cannot be seen by looking at pictures and I might acquire an example if only to use it as a guide. Finding 1:76 Royal Mail decals might be a pain.....

Cheers and Stay Safe

5032740E-03AA-4251-B0C4-80BCDE06E985.jpeg.b7d10e0066c194d635fab755be9389f9.jpeg

You might find RTI do the transfers.

• Agree 1

Guest Jack Benson

A speedy response from Daryl -

"It's GPO 11 your after, it won't be this year I'm afraid because I have bought several other ranges which is consuming all of my time at the moment but as soon as I have made the master pattern it will be announced."

Cheers and Stay Safe

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

"Finding 1:76 Royal Mail decals might be a pain" ( Jack above).

I was looking for Royal Mail and Post Office Telephones transfers or decals a while ago. Langley Models do them - here's the link to that section of their website.  My recollection is that anyone can't just run these up and sell them: you need to obtain the appropriate clearance, because the Crown is on the Royal Mail insignia and presumably also because these are registered logos.

I've used both of these Langley transfer sets, and am pleased with the result. There are also lots of other lorry or van liveries here - various oil and brewery companies, Pickfords, GWR and BRS, Blue Circle Cement etc.

https://www.langleymodels.co.uk/awd1/index.php?route=product/category&path=190_196

John Storey

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Have a look at the BlackSquare decals site as I had some for a Royal Mail van myself. He does bespoke ones too if you have an image of your requirements.

https://blacksquaredecals.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&search=royal mail

Edited by gwrrob
added detail.
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

D090B117-DF16-4861-B386-CFBFBC3C9C82.jpeg.a3d4b3b71795650edf2826f31c2ef62b.jpeg

A chance discovery of an image of a Royal Mail Austin 7 van with the GR cypher did get me excited as I have an unwanted Oxford Diecast yellow AA model which could do with a coat of red.

Black Square offer some suitable GR decals.....but they will need to be dramatically reduced as they are definitely not 1:76. Or use the Hornby Dublo version and fudge the E into a G or simply stick the van at the back of the layout?...

Thank you

Edited by Jack Benson

• Guest changed the title to Much older Royal Mail vans
  • RMweb Premium

Its not an Austin 7 but a Morris 8. Morris/Morris Commercial were the principal supplier of light commercials to the GPO from the 1920's to the 1970's. They even continued the production of the earlier 8 chassis at the behest of the GPO but upgraded it with the later radiator grill and 'Easiclean' wheels of the current car model, as in the illustration. Several makes were tested by the GPO in the 1920's before they settled on Morris and there may have been the odd Austin 7 among them but they would have been disposed of quite quickly once the chosen vehicles were in service.

• Like 1

Guest Jack Benson
2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Its not an Austin 7 but a Morris 8. Morris/Morris Commercial were the principal supplier of light commercials to the GPO from the 1920's to the 1970's. They even continued the production of the earlier 8 chassis at the behest of the GPO but upgraded it with the later radiator grill and 'Easiclean' wheels of the current car model, as in the illustration. Several makes were tested by the GPO in the 1920's before they settled on Morris and there may have been the odd Austin 7 among them but they would have been disposed of quite quickly once the chosen vehicles were in service.

Phil,

I posted the wrong image and was busy editing it. Is the new photo an Austin?

Thanks

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Jack Benson said:

Phil,

I posted the wrong image and was busy editing it. Is the new photo an Austin?

Thanks

No thats a Morris, if you compare the two they are the same except that the first picture you posted was of the upgraded one that was placed in service in the late 1930's. IIRC Springside produced a white metal kit of the Morris. Until WW2 the GPO only purchased the bare chassis and had bodies fitted to their own specifications. Duple among others built the bodies.

• Like 1

Guest Jack Benson

Thanks, evidently I cannot tell the difference between the Austin and Morris....oh well, worse things happen at sea. The hideous yellow Austin 7 van will just have to do, is the main problem the radiator?

155B4B61-515E-4094-9831-00FCECF71F6C.jpeg.578e5b44fa05f46225e8ec51fd879e63.jpeg

Jack

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

The layout is supposedly stuck in ‘48-52 in rural West Dorset, I am trying to backdate the details to replicate the late ‘40s. The images of the Morris van popped up during a search for late ‘40s Royal Mail road vehicles, currently represented by a Thames e83w.

Jack

• RMweb Premium

The Thames E83W is a perfectly legitimate vehicle for that period as many were supplied to the GPO during the war. Also in that period the GPO used ex military vehicles but usually modified somewhat. They also used ex NFS Austin auxiliary towing vehicles as post vans. You could convert one of the Oxford models to one.

Edited by PhilJ W
spill chucker

Guest Jack Benson

Phil,

Having just received the Oxford AA Austin 7 van, SWMBO informed me that it was much too cute to even think about repainting......however the local fishmonger does need a van.

Jack

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Phil,

Having just received the Oxford AA Austin 7 van, SWMBO informed me that it was much too cute to even think about repainting......however the local fishmonger does need a van.

Jack

They come in other colours too including a rather nice cream.