Hornby Railways Catalogue and Box Art - An Advent Calendar Lookback

LNWR18901910

As you can tell from the title, this was my biggest surprise in mind! Up until December 25th, I will be analysing and giving my thoughts on the various box and catalogue art. Plus, I will be hearing your thoughts about it, too. This is something we can all discuss and give our verdicts about for the holiday season.

All research has been done or is being undergone as I have relied on the Hornby Railways Collector's Guide website for information as well as images when need be, but if I can't get a proper image or find one on said-site, then I would have to do a Google Image Search when the moment calls for it.

Merry Christmas and stay safe and healthy!

Edited by LNWR18901910

image.png.cd22d381df3498e5be79cc69920952ff.png

Day 1

Saddle up, partners! The Davy Crockett comes from the Tri-ang catalogue from 1962 (the year Sean Connery blasted onto cinema screens as 007, a certain father and son rag-and-bone men made TV audiences laugh and your friendly neighbourhood titular and eponymous webhead swung into comics)!

What strikes me about this artwork is the locomotive moving forward along with a passenger train. At first glance, you may think that the model's wheels are black but on the official release of the model, they're yellow. The steam coming out of the smokestack gives an effect reminiscent of railway posters, picture-postcards and illustrations from books. The orange-red sky contrasted by the orange-yellow Western American frontier gives a sort of hint to Westerns of the Golden Age (Westerns were big at the time) so this model fits right into that environment respectively.

The wording 'TRI-ANG RAILWAYS GO WEST!' gives a sort of indication like in Western film trailers and novels. The look of it gives it the kind of cinematic poster feel and from a certain perpsective, you are standing on the ground looking up at this beast of a locomotive passing by. An impressive piece of art showing consumers what to expect in a product.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Nice idea . Loved Tri-ang and Tri-ang Hornby catalogues of old . . I was born in 62 , so don’t remember this illustration but remember the model from 65 catalogue . I always fancied one , but then I wanted everything in the catalogue!  Always thought it was like the “cannonball express” in Casey Jones . . It used the Jinty chassis , of course, which a lot of Tri-ang models did . Very toy like but exciting and enjoyable . These were the day!

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

image.png.d552f165294b236c31e51d613c4228bf.png

Day 2

Diving into licenced merchandising (or moichandizing) territory, we have The Railway Children Set. According to the description of the Tri-ang Hornby 1972 catalogue, it was modelled on the train from the film featuring a GNSR-liveried tank locomotive and coaches as well as your typical everyday station with platform, oval of track, power clip and uncoupler but no figures. However, in the film, it's actually a GWR Pannier Tank repainted in GNSR brown on the real-life K&WVR, but in this train set (and according to the box-art), it's a Jinty 3F 0-6-0T. Anyway, let's talk about the artwork...

You see before you one of the story's climactic scenes (nowhere near as climactic as Moby Dick or Dracula considering it's a children's story) where one of the titular and aptly-named children characters is seen waving down the train preventing a serious accident from happening (can't say the same for Mr Dickens considering where he got the idea for The Signalman). The train looks like it's coming towards the person (Jenny Agutter's character, mind you) in a certain perspective as if we are about to encounter a chance meeting with the Grim Reaper for the sake of saving innocent lives. The makeshift flag is dangling over her head because she is frantically waving in desperation for the train to stop or maybe it's another flag being waved by another of the children off-screen. Above the image seen here, we happen to have three of the film's young stars on the top-right with the exact logo on the left (most likely lifted from the poster or professionally recreated, my congratulations go to them).

Considering that this story is set in the Edwardian era when it was originally published, you may notice the BR-era smokebox numberplate with the 47000 numbering on the class which does make it somewhat inaccurate for the time period (but that's just me being the odd-purist in railway history so do excuse me). The background looks rather watercoloured (the sky and the trees) which reminds me of the time when I attempted an oil-painting in watercolours in my Art lesson in school. The bushes and tiny leaves as well as those on the sticks have got some fair detail on them, but this was most likely in the days before the internet and Photoshop so I won't judge it too much.

Just when you think that this is a perfect tie-in piece of merchandise for when the film came out in 1970, unfortunately, it was two years late but on the other hand, it is nice to bring home more than just the experience of the movie (the same thing would happen with Star Wars but that's a whole other story). Better late than never, I suppose!

N.B: I know it's technically a day early at the time of writing this post, but at least I got it out of the way in advance and most likely for the third day and also getting my house and room ready for Christmas so we'll see how it goes. Also, thanks goes to Legend for sharing his nostalgic memories and his thoughts on it, so Merry Christmas and thanks, Legend! Also, special thanks goes to BernardTPM, Robin Brasher, Ruffnut Thornston, Black 5 Bear, Hroth and caradoc for liking the first post as they seem to enjoy and agree with my thoughts and analysis on the first piece of artwork I looked at and reviewed. Happy Holidays and see you guys back with another post definitely on the exact day as an advent calender should or probably bang on time, but like I said, I'll see how it goes. Kudos and see you later for now!

Edited by LNWR18901910
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

Yes, The Railway Children Set was a good stab at a movie tie in.

It is a shame that the GWR Pannier tank model arrived too late to feature in this set.

The “Jinty” was fitted with a Synchrosmoke unit.

The illustration does quite accurately portray the rolling stock in the set, loco crew notwithstanding.

Close study of a lot of the set box artwork of the later Tri-ang Railways and earlier Tri-ang Hornby sets, after the generic huge studio layout photos, will shew that the rolling stock portrayed even has the tension lock couplings pictured !

The coaches were an imaginative choice, the old GWR Clerestory Coach in red and white, and the Old Time Western (USA) coach made using the special “teak” plastic recipe to represent the NER Directors Coach (I think?) as “The Old Gentlemen’s Coach”.

The station was the “Station Halt” consisting of one straight, two ramps, the small waiting room in the red plastic, one canopy set, and one bench.

The set rolling stock at Ffrwd Locks...
2E15718A-0AB3-47C1-B1DA-D189B0439848.jpeg.e986067ed53cb905726d8e671b457753.jpeg

The locomotive...

AED207E5-B353-48ED-AE2F-58DA63011306.jpeg.c5d134fb9467cd884ea8e6f18cae5ea9.jpeg

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Photo added..
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant idea LNWR18901910.  Aged 10 I remember getting the catalogue and rushing home to see what was new in it . The catalogue had the Cuneo Condor on the front and I think the headline new releases were the GWR Pannier and Southern liveried L1 , and of course in the Trainsets was The Railway Children set , just a bit too early for the Pannier , and some continental sets . 

Every  day is going to be a blast from the past . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It reminds me of the almost mindless excitement of wondering if the oblong box under the tree is the much asked-for trainset, or a disappointing board game, or even worse, a "Magicians Compendium"....

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Given the 1972 introduction, it does seem odd that they didn't use the new pannier for it. The box artwork show 47606 on the front, the 'classic' Tri-ang Jinty number yet the actual model seems to have been given a blank plate. As the number used to be moulded in was the blank done especially for this set?* That would be very ironic; the more appropriate loco ignored, the wrong loco retooled slightly and the artwork specially done without the update for the set.

How about these three Model Land figures as 'The Railway Children'?

RailwayChildren.jpg.871ea6c571bd0fbe9b47a3081b654b96.jpg

Hardly less accurate than the rolling stock!

Enjoying this series.

* Thinking about it, around this time they were putting out a lot of 'Big Four' era liveries, so that's probably why the moulded BR number was blanked.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

image.png.2813b4ef616d82aa7aa72f46653d5519.png

Day 3

Just another typical Summer Holiday like in a Cliff Richard song especially with this train set. This set,(a product of its time maybe, also harkens back to a time when anyone (if they were lucky enough) can catch a train to the sea. Hands up if this harkens back any memories (except me as I wasn't alive back then so obviously I'm no 2000 Year Old Man...and I totally missed out big time).

On the right, you see the people about to embark aboard the train to their destination, but move to the left, the effect is almost revealed to be a model the whole time implying that giants are in control of our railway network, but that's okay - we're gonna have a wonderful journey...at least until giant hands pick up the 8:15 from Manchester to Blackpool off the rails almost in a Godzilla-like fashion. Part of the station has been cut-off by what appears to be a white fog (that's probably our British weather, I guess). The way it was drawn is like a sort of surreal piece of art almost like that of Dali, Magritte or Ernst, a sortof blend of fantasy and reality colliding together.

On closer inspection, the locomotive is numbered 61572, based on the real-life preserved example still with us, but the only thing missing from that is the standard D Couplers. But then again, I'm just being daft, maybe I'm being too surreal myself. If anyone owned the set, feel free to share your memories.

N.B: Thanks very much to Ruffnut Thornson for sharing images of the Railway Children rolling stock and thanks to Bernard TPM for sharing an image of children figures. Also, special thanks to Mike Bellamy, BernardTPM, Hroth, Islesy, Legend and laurencecb for your reactions to the last Advent post. This post I got done early in advance even though it was meant for tomorrow but because I have a rather pressuring yet overly-busy schedule, I was able to get two or three posts out. So kindly leave your thoughts and memories and I'll be back again with another Advent post to come until Christmas - see you all then!

• Like 14

Day 3 already?  Feels like we're hurtling towards Christmas....

From 1965, a nice evocation of fairly modern transport, less than 10 years previous, with Blood'n'Custard Mk1 coaches and a B12 in late BR livery.  A semi-fast from Liverpool Street to the East Anglian coast!

Yeah! (Yeah, Yeah?)

More authentic than the much later Hornby "Main Line Steam" set which involved an LNER livery B12 with the LotI Clerestory coaches moulded in faux-teak!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

That was my first set, for Christmas 1963. By 1965 I had learnt to read and that "Holiday Express" blurb is one of my earliest memories! I've still got the B12, which is somewhat battered but goes like greased lightning on the very rare occasions it gets put on the track. Standing it beside Hornby's latest version is quite educational!

Edited by 4069
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Given the 1972 introduction, it does seem odd that they didn't use the new pannier for it. The box artwork show 47606 on the front, the 'classic' Tri-ang Jinty number yet the actual model seems to have been given a blank plate. As the number used to be moulded in was the blank done especially for this set?* That would be very ironic; the more appropriate loco ignored, the wrong loco retooled slightly and the artwork specially done without the update for the set.

Enjoying this series.

* Thinking about it, around this time they were putting out a lot of 'Big Four' era liveries, so that's probably why the moulded BR number was blanked.

A pretty early TV/movie tie in.

Regarding the Pannier. I remember wanting the train from The Flockton Flyer when I was a kid. Then one of the catalogues (Littlewoods I think) had one advertised as The Flockton Flyer train set.

Bought as a Christmas present but my dad sent it back as it was just the London Transport set. Wasn't even rebranded. One for the Trades Descriptions Act if it happened now.

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=363

Instead got the GWR Holden set and a 57XX.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Legend said:

Brilliant idea LNWR18901910.  Aged 10 I remember getting the catalogue and rushing home to see what was new in it . The catalogue had the Cuneo Condor on the front and I think the headline new releases were the GWR Pannier and Southern liveried L1 , and of course in the Trainsets was The Railway Children set , just a bit too early for the Pannier , and some continental sets . 

Every  day is going to be a blast from the past . 

This was the first Hornby Catalogue I can remember. I got my first train set as a six year old in 1972

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

I believe the Railway Children Set came out before the Pannier tank was available. Maybe this was one reason why they did the Pannier, as a replacement that never matured.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 4069 said:

That was my first set, for Christmas 1963. By 1965 I had learnt to read and that "Holiday Express" blurb is one of my earliest memories! I've still got the B12, which is somewhat battered but goes like greased lightning on the very rare occasions it gets put on the track. Standing it beside Hornby's latest version is quite educational!

Yes I got my black B12 when an iron mongers shop closed down and he had a sale. I believe it dates from 1971 and was part of a freight set .  Mine also goes like greased lightning and in fact shot off the end of the layout once chipping it’s cab as it bounced off the floor .  Fortunately I could glue the chip back on and she is still part of the fleet . I like getting the “heritage “locos out, particularly around this time of year , as a reminder of Christmas and birthdays past. I can remember who gave them to me , most of whom are sadly no longer with us . Memories of happy times 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, 4069 said:

I had one of them 2 for Xmas around that time, you are correct it did go rather fast, haven,t run it for a while, but last time I did was still fast. That was the days when parents could buy a set from the local toy store !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandwich station said:

I believe the Railway Children Set came out before the Pannier tank was available. Maybe this was one reason why they did the Pannier, as a replacement that never matured.

I had thought that, but they both appear to have been new in 1972. I had thought the Pannier was new for 1973; might be worth digging out the old RMs and MRCs to see when each was actually available as opposed to announced.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I've only just stumbled across this thread, and it's already fascinating! As a child of the 80s, those catalogues hold a special interest, so I'm looking forward to some insight into them! My dad still has his old books of dreams (to borrow an apt phrase from a different catalogue!) And I've spent many happy hours looking through them, so even the older images are familiar!

Cheers

J

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

image.png.2813b4ef616d82aa7aa72f46653d5519.png

Day 3

>snipped

On the right, you see the people about to embark aboard the train to their destination, but move to the left, the effect is almost revealed to be a model the whole time implying that giants are in control of our railway network, but that's okay - we're gonna have a wonderful journey...at least until giant hands pick up the 8:15 from Manchester to Blackpool off the rails almost in a Godzilla-like fashion. Part of the station has been cut-off by what appears to be a white fog (that's probably our British weather, I guess). The way it was drawn is like a sort of surreal piece of art almost like that of Dali, Magritte or Ernst, a sortof blend of fantasy and reality colliding together.

On closer inspection, the locomotive is numbered 61572, based on the real-life preserved example still with us, but the only thing missing from that is the standard D Couplers. But then again, I'm just being daft, maybe I'm being too surreal myself. If anyone owned the set, feel free to share your memories.

>Snipped 

This is an example of what I mentioned in a previous post...the inclusion of the tension lock couplings in some artwork otherwise purporting to be the real thing...

The “white fog” effect MAY be an indication that the illustration of the locomotive was changed.

The B12 was in effect a replacement for the R.50 Black Princess (Victoria from 1959) as the “cheaper tender locomotive for train sets”.

The last R.50 Princess. Victoria models (NOT including the 1974 Hornby Railways version) were made in 1962...

The B12 was R.150...

It is possible that the R.50 Princess Victoria was originally going to be the locomotive...the two coaches were the same types as in previous sets, only now the scale length Mk1 coaches, introduced from 1962....

I think I get this reference, the only thing missing from the real locomotive is the tension lock (D) couplings. :)

I have seen a real traction engine sporting a large “key” (made mainly from a length of grey plastic drain pipe!) with Tri-ang  on it...has anyone made a tension lock coupling for a 12 inches to 1 foot scale loco? ;)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Enjoying this series.

Yes, an LMS “Jinty” was made...in Crimson Lake livery. Numbered 7606. Hence the blanking out of the moulded BR number.

So, the same locomotive as the previous BR versions...

However, most real LMS (and BR) “Jinty “ locomotives were outshopped in plain black livery.

F9B251D9-8378-42CB-BC64-4662141F5CE2.jpeg.535a4d8f53561642f3f1928b67839870.jpeg

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Photo added
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

On the other hand, I recall the arrival of a steam special at Hellifield on the Settle to Carlisle route. A young boy observing the absence of a tension lock coupler turned to his Father and asked :"Where's the coupling for the front of the engine?" A case of models influencing the perception of reality on the 12" to the foot version.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

15 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I remember D1062 Western Courier was running about with a big key in the side at Rocket 150.

I believe it was a riposte to some of the stuffed shirts that were complaining that diesels and electrics shouldn't be there.

I think they were told to remove it.

Jason

That's excellent! A quick search unearthed this photo showing said key! Absolutely nothing wrong with having a sense of humour (though I completely understand why it wasn't allowed into the cavalcade with it!)

https://www.wiganworld.co.uk/album/photo.php?opt=3&id=9380&gallery=Railways&page=12

I wonder if any more photos (possibly clearer) exist anywhere? Also, sorry for thread drift!

Cheers

J

• Like 3

image.png.4bceeab6a99d67f5df373c7de11647ef.png

Day 4

Call to arms with Task Force Action Set! This is something for all you Action Force/ G.I. Joe, Colditz, Dad's Army and M.A.S.H. fanatics out there! Considering this was released back in the 1980s, this has got to be the manly hardcore train set there ever was! A symbol of anarchic testosterone, you might say and think. For those of you who may or may not have seen the film Major Payne (a remake of The Private War of Major Benson) but this set predates said-film.

This is a scene of anarchy here - a tank firing at a rocket car this giving an explosive effect minus the fire, smoke, destruction and carnage! This is family friendly to a how new level! Hornby Railways displayed their logo at the bottom while the font seems to be almost like that from an 80s action film - considering that this  is reminiscent of a movie poster Drew Struzan-style with a hint of comic book effects! It looks as it it's just another typical mission to cross enemy lines in order to deliver supplies, but then, suddenly right out of nowhere - KA-BOOM! BAZAMMO! The enemy ain't havin' jack so they attempt to deprive the enemy of their requirements.

One or two other things I just realised; the original film's premise was done twice for TV as Hard Knox and Major Payne by Universal Pictures so I'd say this set would be fitting. This isn't the only time Hornby used such rare pieces of rolling-stock - these are reminiscent of the Tri-ang Battle Space models that was done during the 1960s and most likely re-used from said-range. Task Force - they're the ones to call for Action!

N.B: Thanks very much to Graham Heather, Brit70053, railroadbill, Ruffnut Thorston, JaymzHatstand, laurenceb, BernardTPM, 69843, Hroth, Legend and caradoc for liking and reacting to Day 3, much appreciated and to both Brit70053 and Steamport Southport, I totally love and get the jokes and so does everyone! After all, Christmas is a time to make merry and be a comedian (I know I can be, too). And here we are, an actual Advent posted on time just right!  I'll be back again tomorrow with another look into more Catalogue and Box Art, but in the meantime, please share your thoughts on which catalogue covers and train set boxes remind you of happy times and festive memories. Until then, bye for now!

• Like 11

1 hour ago, LNWR18901910 said:

image.png.4bceeab6a99d67f5df373c7de11647ef.png

Day 4

Call to arms with Task Force Action Set! This is something for all you Action Force/ G.I. Joe, Colditz, Dad's Army and M.A.S.H. fanatics out there! Considering this was released back in the 1980s, this has got to be the manly hardcore train set there ever was! A symbol of anarchic testosterone, you might say and think. For those of you who may or may not have seen the film Major Payne (a remake of The Private War of Major Benson) but this set predates said-film.

This is a scene of anarchy here - a tank firing at a rocket car this giving an explosive effect minus the fire, smoke, destruction and carnage! This is family friendly to a how new level! Hornby Railways displayed their logo at the bottom while the font seems to be almost like that from an 80s action film - considering that this  is reminiscent of a movie poster Drew Struzan-style with a hint of comic book effects! It looks as it it's just another typical mission to cross enemy lines in order to deliver supplies, but then, suddenly right out of nowhere - KA-BOOM! BAZAMMO! The enemy ain't havin' jack so they attempt to deprive the enemy of their requirements.

One or two other things I just realised; the original film's premise was done twice for TV as Hard Knox and Major Payne by Universal Pictures so I'd say this set would be fitting. This isn't the only time Hornby used such rare pieces of rolling-stock - these are reminiscent of the Tri-ang Battle Space models that was done during the 1960s and most likely re-used from said-range. Task Force - they're the ones to call for Action!

N.B: Thanks very much to Graham Heather, Brit70053, railroadbill, Ruffnut Thorston, JaymzHatstand, laurenceb, BernardTPM, 69843, Hroth, Legend and caradoc for liking and reacting to Day 3, much appreciated and to both Brit70053 and Steamport Southport, I totally love and get the jokes and so does everyone! After all, Christmas is a time to make merry and be a comedian (I know I can be, too). And here we are, an actual Advent posted on time just right!  I'll be back again tomorrow with another look into more Catalogue and Box Art, but in the meantime, please share your thoughts on which catalogue covers and train set boxes remind you of happy times and festive memories. Until then, bye for now!

Ah these Task Force sets were fantastic I never owned one myself.  I remember seeing these only in mostly available in mail order catalogues Littlewoods and their other brands Index Janet Frazier , Freemans Grattan, Kays etc. I rarely saw them in model retailers unless I didn't look for them.  The last time these type of set were released were late 1990s/early 2000s with a BR Class 08, army tanks wagons and even a set with dinosaurs!  The 2010 Codename: Strike force train set with a camouflaged green livery Class D 0-4-0T locomotive,  this was the last time Hornby issued an action force type of this genre of set. So who knows if these will be reissued in future years. They certainly would be fantastic to see revived!   

Oh I forgot to mention in the mid 1960s early 1970s Hornby under the Tri-ang brand issued Satellite Sets under the Battle Space brand very similar to this wagons with satellites etc, also the very nice looking Battle Space Turbo Car. finally off topic  Dock Authority Diesel Shunters another treasure from 1960s/70s!  

Edited by RyanN91
forgot to mention Satellite Sets!
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1