Hornby Railways Catalogue and Box Art - An Advent Calendar Lookback

LNWR18901910

10 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

It's not as made by Tri-ang unless it's the TT model.

It is either Triang or Triang/Hornby as it is missing its metal Triang motor bogie.  It is definately not another make. It is 00 gauge. 

If I come across it I will photograph it. I may have sold it or given it away as I never did get a metal motor bogie for it. (Everyone seemed to have one except when I asked!) Haha! 

Edited by Mountain Goat

27 minutes ago, LNWR18901910 said:

image.png.2e6c3a11c93427c75be7cbff2f893c68.png

Day 13

Green for glory...glory days gone by, that is. This one I saved originally for the previous day but instead opted for the other one. Nevertheless, here we go!

This is the GWR Holden 101 Class 0-4-0T only one which was built and then scrapped years later. It's amazing how Hornby took a model like it and added it to their range for years and years to come like their long-running 'Smokey Joe' locomotive. The artwork looks way detailed than the toy-like model counter-part. If anyone wanting a super-detailed version is clever enough to either kit-bash, modify or even kit-build, be my guest.

This is like something out of a catalogue as well as a railway-themed educational book (even that's more interesting compared to models). Okay, maybe I sound a bit harsh to this veteran model, but in this day and age, modern companies like Dapol, Kernow and Locomotion should attempt this model in super-detail (without the many modifications and/or freelance or various liveries of other companies).

Call me lazy but there's not much to say about it except the introduction of this model, really. It does show how times have changed, really. So, I would consider it the GWR 145th-ish anniversary set...just so I can say something to make it all the more special.

N.B: Special thanks very much to everyone who liked my last post as well as agreeing with the stuff I said and special thanks to Ruffnut Thornston for providing image os the train set in question, thanks to BernardTPM for sharing a bit of trivia and thanks to Steamport Southport for sharing image of Bachmann's Train Pack artwork as well as the humorous image you find, I have a reason to believe that it's a production still from the live-action adaptation of Dudley Do-Right. Overall thanks to those who shared their memories, it really has built up the thread so farbut I may consider what to do with it after Christmas. Perhaps I should put it to a vote or something. Anyway, I will be back tomorrow with another review of some more Hornby artwork, bye for now!

Funny thing is, it was better and more accurate than most of the other models Hornby made at the time.  :laugh:

Open cab with no motor protruding into it. Pretty accurate over most dimensions. The first year it wasn't painted, but the next it was and looked very good.

The only thing you could really criticise is the lack of valve gear. But it was made for kids.

I don't think they did a bad job considering.

spacer.png

Jason

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

14 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Funny thing is, it was better and more accurate than most of the other models Hornby made at the time.  :laugh:

Open cab with no motor protruding into it. Pretty accurate over most dimensions. The first year it wasn't painted, but the next it was and looked very good.

The only thing you could really criticise is the lack of valve gear. But it was made for kids.

I don't think they did a bad job considering.

spacer.png

Jason

I think you are right. Even the wheelbase which matched the older Triang 0-4-0's seemed to match this loco well. I could almost reach into the old photograph and pick it up as it looks so much like the model! :D

Mind you, if that loco was a real scaled up version of the model rather then the other way around, it would have left both the City of Truro and even the Mallard standing if run flat out!

Edited by Mountain Goat
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

The photo even shows how small it was as it fits on a wagon turntable. Not many locomotives could do that. The Lancashire & Yorkshire Pugs could, but they were built for dock yards. 101 was meant as a passenger loco but never left Swindon. After the oil burning tests it was rebuilt like the model and was used as the Swindon works shunter.

Back to the set I got the GWR Freight Set from the same year and the coaches seperately.

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_year_details.asp?itemyearid=1085

Not mine as mine is still in good condition apart from I painted the tanker black. ISTR that the tanker was actually a red Texaco one. I think it was lucky dip which one you got.

spacer.png

Jason

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Classic entry-level train-set mix: an 0-4-0 tank engine and some four-wheel coaches.

The very earliest train sets had 0-2-2 locos (Maerklin 1890s),  but once makers cracked the 4 wheel drive, it was always an 0-4-0, the bottom rung being a tank engine, and the next rung up an 0-4-0 tender engine.

So, given how very rare 0-4-0T on passenger work were after about 1890, Triang, then modern-Hornby actually did well to find the LSWR and GWR four-wheeled passenger tanks to use as inspiration, rather than entirely making things up.

Hurrah for the basic 0-4-0T!!

9BCB4768-3AA5-4BCF-BB70-3B2955C37370.jpeg.c49f8443ba298452e1a5e0f2fc2e08a5.jpeg

2F6160A2-6D7D-4087-B03F-B447E8501AA8.jpeg.fd6f2144fdf5695f135f13540b614551.jpeg

13DCC1CC-C85B-440C-B34B-423F3519909C.jpeg.37d3dc779fe466fda75731f2a84a42ab.jpeg

1EFD747C-A848-4E18-BC76-11E63E795521.jpeg.0c2cb0773c9fb9217f1f88d614f04259.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

19 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

It's not as made by Tri-ang unless it's the TT model.

9 hours ago, Mountain Goat said:

It is either Triang or Triang/Hornby as it is missing its metal Triang motor bogie.  It is definately not another make. It is 00 gauge.

If I come across it I will photograph it. I may have sold it or given it away as I never did get a metal motor bogie for it. (Everyone seemed to have one except when I asked!) Haha! 

I didn't say the model wasn't made by Tri-ang, I said that the roof wasn't as made by Tri-ang. They only did the headcode box roof in 00, just as they only did the earlier 'skinhead' version in TT. In those days they didn't bother tooling different sub-variants of models. The first example of that would probably be the Flying Scotsman model where they made a corridor and non-corridor tender.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

image.png.2e6c3a11c93427c75be7cbff2f893c68.png

Day 13

Green for glory...glory days gone by, that is. This one I saved originally for the previous day but instead opted for the other one. Nevertheless, here we go!

This is the GWR Holden 101 Class 0-4-0T only one which was built and then scrapped years later. It's amazing how Hornby took a model like it and added it to their range for years and years to come like their long-running 'Smokey Joe' locomotive. The artwork looks way detailed than the toy-like model counter-part. If anyone wanting a super-detailed version is clever enough to either kit-bash, modify or even kit-build, be my guest.

This is like something out of a catalogue as well as a railway-themed educational book (even that's more interesting compared to models). Okay, maybe I sound a bit harsh to this veteran model, but in this day and age, modern companies like Dapol, Kernow and Locomotion should attempt this model in super-detail (without the many modifications and/or freelance or various liveries of other companies).

Call me lazy but there's not much to say about it except the introduction of this model, really. It does show how times have changed, really. So, I would consider it the GWR 145th-ish anniversary set...just so I can say something to make it all the more special.

N.B: Special thanks very much to everyone who liked my last post as well as agreeing with the stuff I said and special thanks to Ruffnut Thornston for providing image os the train set in question, thanks to BernardTPM for sharing a bit of trivia and thanks to Steamport Southport for sharing image of Bachmann's Train Pack artwork as well as the humorous image you find, I have a reason to believe that it's a production still from the live-action adaptation of Dudley Do-Right. Overall thanks to those who shared their memories, it really has built up the thread so farbut I may consider what to do with it after Christmas. Perhaps I should put it to a vote or something. Anyway, I will be back tomorrow with another review of some more Hornby artwork, bye for now!

Nice one . The little tank loco came in in 1978 , so it predates Smokey Joe by 2 years when the Caley Pug appeared .  Very appropriate for advent as this loco and set must have been the introduction to model railways for thousands . I know my little nephew got one . The artwork on this set is superb. The 78 catalogue featured these drawings but I thought it was very dark otherwise . The loco replaced Nellie , or more precisely the S&DJR 0-4-0 tank that last appeared in the 77 catalogue . This was the direct replacement even using the 4 wheel coaches which had first appeared as S&DJR coaches in 76 .  This tooling has served Hornby well over the years . 42 years and I think still in use, made in all the colours you could think of ! 

• Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, Legend said:

The loco replaced Nellie , or more precisely the S&DJR 0-4-0 tank that last appeared in the 77 catalogue . This was the direct replacement even using the 4 wheel coaches which had first appeared as S&DJR coaches in 76 .

Ah, that was the set i bought my nephew - another classic 0-4-0T and 4W coaches. http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=368

I thought the loco had a big "brass" dome, but that must be false memory syndome (again).

The current version, R1249, seems to have the 101 loco in blue, with "brass" dome, which actually looks rather smart.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Ah, that was the set i bought my nephew - another classic 0-4-0T and 4W coaches. http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=368

I thought the loco had a big "brass" dome, but that must be false memory syndome (again).

The current version, R1249, seems to have the 101 loco in blue, with "brass" dome, which actually looks rather smart.

The big brass dome was on the previous red version with the tel number on side 25555 I think  ! I’ve got that one . An Aunt bought it for my Christmas in 1975 . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm a late comer to the thread, but very much of the late 60's early 70's catalogue cover fan group, Cuneo stylee.

The Co-Bo on the Condor was my favourite, but the excitement of those catalogues arriving was intense.

As a slight aside, a couple of years ago I was a guest of Peco's management (I was a trader) and taken to the Board Room for a chat with the MD and CEO - the stairs and Board Room are lined with many original Cuneo's, not prints!  I can't recall exactly which they are, and TBH I wouldn't detail them to be fair to Peco but some 'Triang' ones were there.  Stunned, it was such a privilege to see them and have time to study them in detail.

The more recent catalogues from all the manufacturers leave me cold, and they're expensive!

Nice thread, full of nostalgia.

Edited by New Haven Neil
spelling!
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Hornby had a bit of cheek putting the words 'Scale Models' on the box for that thing ! 

Lol but I was happy to get it at the time .  Trains were about fun  . I do have the latest models, but I do trot the oldies out from time to time and it is fun running them 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

I'm a late comer to the thread, but very much of the late 60's early 70's catalogue cover fan group, Cuneo stylee.

The Co-Bo on the Condor was my favourite, but the excitement of those catalogues arriving was intense.

As a slight aside, a couple of years ago I was a guest of Peco's management (I was a trader) and taken to the Board Room for a chat with the MD and CEO - the stairs and Board Room are lined with many original Cuneo's, not prints!  I can't recall exactly which they are, and TBH I wouldn't detail them to be fair to Peco but some 'Triang' ones were there.  Stunned, it was such a privilege to see them and have time to study them in detail.

The more recent catalogues from all the manufacturers leave me cold, and they're expensive!

Nice thread, full of nostalgia.

Here you go

9C44C98B-DFDC-48F3-A3DD-CC1671A180E2.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Some box text samples..

(C1950)

ROVEX

“OO” GAUGE

MODEL ELECTRIC TRAIN 

A ROVEX RICHMOND PRODUCTION 

(Train sets for Marks & Spencer’s)

(From 1952)

Tri-ang  RAILWAYS 

“OO” GAUGE SCALE MODELS

Made in England by ROVEX PLASTICS LTD Richmond Surrey

(From 1954, Westwood, Margate, Kent.)

Tri-ang  RAILWAYS 

“OO” GAUGE SCALE MODELS

Made in England by ROVEX SCALE MODELS LIMITED

Tri-ang  RAILWAYS 

“OO” GAUGE SCALE MODELS

Made in England by ROVEX SCALE MODELS LIMITED

Tri-ang  RAILWAYS 

PRECISION SCALE MODELS

Built in Britain by ROVEX SCALE MODELS LIMITED

Tri-ang  RAILWAYS 

PRECISION SCALE MODELS

BUILT IN BRITAIN BY ROVEX SCALE MODELS LIMITED

(From 1965)

Tri-ang  Hornby

Model Railways

BUILT IN BRITAIN BY ROVEX SCALE MODELS LIMITED

Tri-ang Hornby 

Model Railways

MADE IN ENGLAND BY ROVEX SCALE MODELS LIMITED 

Tri-ang Hornby 

Model Railways

MADE IN GREAT BRITAIN BY ROVEX INDUSTRIES LTD

Tri-ang Hornby 

Model Railways

MADE IN GREAT BRITAIN BY ROVEX Tri-ang 

(From C1971)

Hornby Railways

SCALE MODELS

MADE IN GREAT BRITAIN BY ROVEX LIMITED

And so on... ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

image.png.7f54ee168c616a62adbe8b7c02c0a420.png

Day 14

Another scene reminiscent of Enid Blyton stories - two children captivated by the express trains of the 1930s; here we have an LMS Jubilee hauling an express train while a boy and a girl (possibly related to one another in some way) wave by to the driver and the fireman.

This is something that you would normally see on picture postcards or railway paintings. It's almost like a step-back in time, but what is the identity of the LMS Jubilee Class? It's a mystery like the Mona Lisa smile (some say it's her contemplating the irony of her situation, I'll be contemplating on the name and number of the locomotive that is totally hard to make out). Normally, smoke on a steam locomotive is white or grey but here, it's black like soot. The locomotive is in need of cleaning out! How can you totally neglect something like that? It could make people's laundry dirty or even suffocate them! That's what might happen to those two children - this image is a metaphor for the phrase; "Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it!" Yeah, those kids are gonna get it, alright - a good dousing of sooth and coughing fits!

Just when you think they would introduce the Jubilee model into their range, well...they didn't. Only Mainline did what Hornby didn't. That was before Sega did what Nintendon't, introducing more detailed and modern up-to-date loco-drive models! I know because I had those in my collection for years...and sold them off years later for extra money. Oh, well - money can't buy memories, but at least well have something to remember, I suppose.

N.B: Thanks very much to those who enjoy and agree with my thoughts and opinions on the previous piece of artwork and special thanks as always to Ruffnut Thornston for sharing memories as well as images of the Lord Westwood locomotive (I agree that it would make a nice Hogwarts Express locomotive) and Steamport Southport, thanks for sharing memories here as well! Finally, thanks to Nearholmer for sharing memories and thoughts as well as images here in this thread, I will be back with another analysis on some more Hornby Railways artwork (possibly the one Legend has shared on this thread, good on you, matey boy)! See you tomorrow!

• Like 13

5593 Kolhapur going up Lickey Incline, Painted in 1965.

Comissioned by Pat Whitehouse who later bought the real one direct from BR. I believe the deal had already been done before it was withdrawn. He also bought 7029 Clun Castle and opened Birmingham Railway Museum at Tyseley engine shed.

Proper title is Lickey Incline.

https://www.herbertsonfineart.co.uk/product-page/cuneo-fine-arts-open-edition-stamped-print-by-terence-cuneo

When the smoke is black/dark it's usually when firing is happening and the locomotive is working hard. If it's very light then it's mostly steam coming out. You really want something in the middle.

Also notice there is an engine at the back banking it up the incline. Possibly two.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

In reference to the '75 catalogue, the 101 tank illustration, and the Jubilee cover (and more referenced so far in this thread), can you imagine the outcry if something similar happened today. Non-produced models on the cover, purely for artistic effect, heaven forfend!

I did really enjoy the late 70s/early 80s art style of the full side profile locomotives in all their glory, as opposed to a model shot, that were used as a cardboard insert in the box. I've still got the ones from my locos of the time (and my dad's!) They're worth being displayed in their own right! Once I've got a bit more wall space, I might well do that!

I'll have to dig them out and get them scanned I think! That's another of those rainy day jobs!

Cheers

J

• Like 4