Hornby Railways Catalogue and Box Art - An Advent Calendar Lookback

LNWR18901910

image.png.b815d7cf280f4b1c60817c3302b30bc4.png

Day 24

And with precious time left to go, what better way to end it all off than this?

Yes, the grand-daddy of Post-War train sets and this is among one of the first! The striking image of the (simplified) Princess Royal model! Sure, it was pants and cheap as monkies, but what did you expect? These things are so darn rare.

The following year, they were perfected and run better over the years. However, these things still ran okay even on Peco track nowadays. I have one in my collection and it's a pain to restore and run, So, they're mostly static display things on your collection like mine. Years later, they have been since upgraded, detailed and improved as time went on. Also, legend has it the Reverend Wilbert Awdry used one for his Gordon model (true story - not making it up).

So, shall I leave uo this thread after Christmas? There's just so much to be said about train set box art and catalogue covers! Please let me know.

N.B: Thanks to everyone who liked and agreed with my previous post and thanks again for sharing thoughts and memories! After Christmas, things are back to normal again and more on my WMR post! Merry Christmas and stay safe and healthy!

• Like 13

On 23/12/2020 at 23:08, Steamport Southport said:

The one that always gets forgotten.....

spacer.png

A decent attempt at an industrial Neilson.

Photo borrowed from Hattons (can't find another decent one).

Jason

In the 1988 Mr Majeika Xmas special, this model along with a blue SDJR/Caledonian coach along with a curve of track.

• Informative/Useful 1

13 minutes ago, LNWR18901910 said:

In the 1988 Mr Majeika Xmas special, this model along with a blue SDJR/Caledonian coach along with a curve of track.

Mr Majeika. One of those programmes I never watched as I was doing other things such as trying badly to be an adult.

But used to love Stanley Baxter. I might have a look on YouTube over the next few days.

On 23/12/2020 at 23:30, Nearholmer said:

Desmond a.k.a. Smokey Joe is a very fitting successor to Nellie, really, because he is similar enough to an LSWR 0458 class, while she is clearly derived from an LSWR S14.

I know they've painted the GWR 101 tank in a weird brown LSWR livery; has this one been seen in LSWR or SR colours?

D605F6A8-5339-4996-A843-A0A3ADD766F6.jpeg

I challenge anyone to make a Pugbash out of the Caley 0F into this!

2 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Hopefully not running towards the running line with Flying Scotsman and train on! :o

And, please stop before running into that M7! :D

Best Wishes to all, and Nadolig Llawen....:D

Yes, this is the better Advent Calender type thingy! :)

02A88C1E-560E-42E3-9E1A-E7BB3518F633.jpeg.d20e571f0e6b8237f2ae88f4d182ac7b.jpeg

This one I must talk about...

Day 25 !!BONUS!!

Dockmaster - who is the Dockmaster? Are you a Dockmaster? Am I a Dockmaster? Is this steam locomotive without any buffers, valve gear and coupling rods the Dockmaster?

The colourful wagons have that Private Owner look about them or perhaps that RWS feel to them, maybe, I don't know. What do you think? The smoky, grimy and bustling everyday life at Britain's dockyards contrasted by the questionable awakening from the scene by a toy-like model. Is the tank engine freelance, Continental or Private Owner? What is the mystery?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LNWR18901910 said:

I challenge anyone to make a Pugbash out of the Caley 0F into this!

I did look into it a few years ago as I had a couple of spare bodies.

Seemed too much work to do a proper "scale" version but if you could overlook differences then shouldn't be too difficult to make a "look a like".

ISTR one of the 3D or resin kit makers made a body kit to fit on a Hornby chassis. No idea who though. ARC possibly.

Jason

10 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Hopefully not running towards the running line with Flying Scotsman and train on! :o

And, please stop before running into that M7! :D

Best Wishes to all, and Nadolig Llawen....:D

Yes, this is the better Advent Calender type thingy! :)

02A88C1E-560E-42E3-9E1A-E7BB3518F633.jpeg.d20e571f0e6b8237f2ae88f4d182ac7b.jpeg

8 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

This one I must talk about...

Day 25 !!BONUS!!

Dockmaster - who is the Dockmaster? Are you a Dockmaster? Am I a Dockmaster? Is this steam locomotive without any buffers, valve gear and coupling rods the Dockmaster?

The colourful wagons have that Private Owner look about them or perhaps that RWS feel to them, maybe, I don't know. What do you think? The smoky, grimy and bustling everyday life at Britain's dockyards contrasted by the questionable awakening from the scene by a toy-like model. Is the tank engine freelance, Continental or Private Owner? What is the mystery?

Dockmaster, oh Dockmaster!!!

We had one of those, at least the odd clockwork locomotive! The weird hump on the boiler was to accommodate the spring, it had no coupling rods, no buffers and the clockwork only drove one set of wheels, it was so lightweight that the most it could do was to move the two wagons!  It wasn't any good at shunting either, it could only go forward, but that was ok, you only got a circle of track in the set.

Ours finally gave up when the driven wheels lost their grip on their axle....

9 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

So, shall I leave uo this thread after Christmas? There's just so much to be said about train set box art and catalogue covers! Please let me know.

Yes, please do.  Although it will sink down into the mulch of more current threads, it would be nice to encounter occasionally through the year and who knows, we could bring it back and add to it next Christmas!

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

I think it would go well if you put it in ‘collectible/vintage’ because it could then cover all dates and makes, which allows for the early beauties of Bing, and the superb stuff from Mettoy, for instance.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

A train set that never was...

The Caledonian Single and two coaches. This could have been released around 1963-1964...

IMG_0714.jpg.d1be1a288c3a570d8d0d612cccbe648d.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg.d0ffa4798a3755d1019d30c283f7897b.jpg

Features custom made inner boxes and packing pieces in an original set box, and a replica set label, RS.58, just resting over the original label on the box lid.

• Like 9

On 19/12/2020 at 01:17, RyanN91 said:

Taken from the 1985 catalogue These gems the Operating tipper set and operating conveyor set.  1986 Catalogue featuring the BR Class 43 HST and BR MK3 coach fold out on the back cover! , with a mention that  each model introduced in each years will be varied in future years but in years to come they will reintroduce previous models in varies liveries etc, although this 1986 catalogue 1987 was the last time a BR Class 43 HST in IC Executive livery would be issued until 2014 but arrived in 2015!  1983 Layout and the introduction of the Hornby set of 3 Pylons with a fascinating insight into the national grid! 1988 Catalogue featuring a BR Class 90, BR Class 142 Pacer Railbus, and the introduced Overhead Power supply system. 

thumbnail_20201219_001326.jpg

thumbnail_20201219_001813.jpg

thumbnail_ZomboDroid 19122020000853.jpg

thumbnail_20201219_001858.jpg

thumbnail_20201219_001206.jpg

thumbnail_ZomboDroid 19122020001140.jpg

thumbnail_ZomboDroid 19122020001727.jpg

Great photo . Featured  in the photo were the original Model-Land pylons (1966-71) as Hornby did have any up to date samples available .

Edited by Pylon King
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 07/12/2020 at 09:09, Legend said:

For me thats the image that defines that model railway era . As you say out with the old in with the new , and that could be within the real railway context , a shiny new AL1 and an old jinty , or in the model railway context , the end of Hornby Dublo and start of Tri-ang Hornby .   As Ruffnut has already posted (sorry hope we didn't steal your thunder) this leaflet contained the brilliant panorama of a layout featuring both Hornby Dublo and Tri-ang products . I always wanted that H-D Mainline station with the overall roof . Thought it looked fantastic . The image went on to form the 1966 Catalogue Cover and the layout reappeared in the 1967 catalogue (the one with M7 on the cover), which I think was the one I would have been staring at for hours! 

Maybe its particularly special to me as I got a Tri-ang Jinty in 1966 as a present to cheer me up when I got my tonsils out  and it was followed up that Christmas with the AL1 .  I already had a trainset , the Tri-ang Freightmaster with "Brush Type 2" It got extended so I had two ovals and an incline in a passing loop . As it was all on the dining room table , the gradients must have been fearsome.  The AL1 appeared from Santa because I had asked for an electric train like the one that took me to Lewis's Glasgow to see his helper . Well it was blue with three windows on the front , so Santa was close!  Still waiting for what I now know as a Class 303 Blue Train .  I'm hearing Tom Jones singing "The green green grass of home" which I think was the number 1 that Christmas thats todays earworm!  I also vaguely remember a rocket launch around Christmas time .I remember staring out the window at night looking for it!  Could it have been one of the first Apollos? 

Happy days . As you've probably gathered , thoroughly enjoying this thread and wallowing in the nostalgia!

Apologies for bombarding this thread with multiple posts , not too sure when the closing date for it might occur .

Around 1965-74 was a golden age for Rovex publications. The fact that we are still talking about it fifty years on shows the profound effect these catalogues had on us as children , priceless memories .

Edited by Pylon King
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Really enjoying this thread and reading about everyone’s experiences  , those catalogue layout scenes from the 1960’s and 70’s will always bring back fond childhood memories . Planning which Loco/set to have for Christmas and studying the photos wanting all the buildings and accessories but never being able to afford it was all part of the journey to building the dream layout . After all these years I’ve  still got the ‘Rovex Photographic Studio Catalogue Archive 1967-74’ featuring layout/diorama scenes from their various publications , several unpublished photos which I hope to one day get developed . Many are large commercial 8”x 10” transparencies , although old  , the quality of photography is exceptional . Here are a few from the archive.

512FAD6C-EA1C-4762-A97F-31AC5ADB2216.jpeg

DA62FB16-4EED-42A8-AD13-C6A262355B46.jpeg

F9F31E77-2610-4014-A7D2-491775A79E41.jpeg

680F3650-F20C-475D-AF5F-40651F05575D.jpeg

• Like 12

On 10/12/2020 at 14:32, BernardTPM said:

As already mentioned, a lot of models had disappeared from sale, though several of them were used in the catalogue illustrations. Here's a compilation of unavailable items taken from the 1975 catalogue pages:

1975unavailable.jpg.d1e566a07e0b713b3cdb76c77b47a8ac.jpg

Also Model-Land factory units and figures , Minic Motorways vehicles and the original Minix car (silver wheels and chassis’s) range all long gone.5ABDDCC2-F3E0-4869-9980-22E1D63BFDE8.jpeg.1d3cbe01f12de89490ff4ac52244d0f3.jpeg

• Like 7

On 15/12/2020 at 15:36, Legend said:

Yep 1972 it was . Love these model land factories . Managed to get a couple but they go for rather a lot of money on eBay 

Totally agree , both 64783133-603D-45BC-860B-CCA51EFC53B3.png.ed16df89a23fcc2377f1f3a32c5db0c1.png the factories and Victorian shops/town houses are absolute favourites , still superb kits to this day .. Photo - Hoddesdon show a few years ago.

Edited by Pylon King
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

On 14/12/2020 at 08:04, Legend said:

Ah yes. Possibly my favourite Hornby / Tri-ang  catalogue of all time .  1974. ( 1980 , 1967, 1973 drives it close)

Strange , as pointed out there was no Jubilee in the catalogue , was I disappointed , no . I suppose Hornbys Cuneo pictures had some  history of not relating to anything in catalogue , the 1970 Jubilee and Castle for instance or the 72 Co-Bo .   Yet the following year I was disappointed because of the lack of appearance of models in the cover , I suppose these were line drawings and not a Cuneo picture , maybe that was the difference .

New Type face Hornby Railways only lasted a few years . It was the time that locos were attractively presented in red box and black insert with line drawing on . I remember seeing lines of them on the shelves at John Menzies Buchanan St Glasgow , who in these days had a large toy dept and a very good Hornby section . You’d struggle to find Hornby anywhere in the centre of Glasgow now - just Hamleys . 

What was exciting to me was not the new models (47 and 2mt) but the ideas of new layouts in the catalogue . Promised in the third edition of the track plans book which didn’t turn up until. 1975 . Spent hours figuring out what line went where , so this catalogue was truly inspirational and showed the entire range well in layout dioramas . 

390EE138-6003-440C-A0C1-5B942F528A36.jpeg

EB37B957-B456-4E5F-94BF-11D06CAA409E.jpeg

59893D8B-09B2-4449-B415-5BF0273F3B5F.jpeg

The Cuneo catalogue years were and still remain magical. There were at least  four different versions of the 1974 catalogue, most notable was the first print featuring various unreleased sets . Also several ‘74 only products including the R133 girder wagon featuring a  Minic Motorways boat , still very much a favourite.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 15/12/2020 at 11:41, Legend said:

We seem to be missing an entry today, so to keep the pot boiling hope LNWR18901910 doesn’t mind me posting an image .  This was the back of the catalogue one year. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to when ? I think we have already covered it , so not too difficult 

This was one of these images I used to stare at for hours looking at the different stock . There is another picture somewhere showing LNER stock on the same layout and I think they used it for several MPD shots . The box cover for the R408U turntable is certainly derived from this.  I used to plot where all the tracks would go assuming the tracks curved round at the back . It never dawned on me  that the suspension bridge behind Dad must lead to ........the floor!  Oh well .

Looks like one had to put a tie on to play with ones trains .

34D1EF56-018D-44F0-AAE3-36F6B150F72B.jpeg

This one is probably the most featured of layouts throughout Rovex history and so memorable. It featured on/ inside British  (1971/72/73) , Australian ‘71/72, Canadian ‘71 catalogues as well as the R408U turntable box lid , R002/003/004/005/006 station set lids as well as the 1st/2nd edition Track Plans books. Hours if not years of studying and wondering where the double left hand side track disappeared to were put to rest by the accompanying photo. 

17BE9B0B-96E2-4CA2-9107-8E8390BFCED3.png

• Like 4

On 15/12/2020 at 16:45, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Notice the inset books on the right.

The Tri-ang Hornby Book of Trains.

Contains a very good pictorial history from  the Rovex Train Set, to the then current models. Recommended.

The Model Railway Track Plans book. As it says in the title...

The Model Railway Wiring Plans book...

I would bet that no one has seen a copy of the Wiring book?

As far as I know, it was never issued!

I am not sure that the Track Plans book that was produced actually had that cover?

Although the Wiring Plans Book never went to press much of it’s content was featured in the 2nd edition Hornby Railways Track Plans book from 1972 . 

369109D1-8DFE-4E72-B1E1-8A5A685029D3.jpeg

2BFD0E14-0F8F-47C5-AE06-66E1981AE243.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 19/12/2020 at 10:53, Legend said:

These pylons go back further than 1993 Ryan .  I believe they were modelled on real ones outside the factory in Margate . Maybe introduced in the early 60s as part of the model land series . Anyway you can see them here on a layout in the 1969 Tri-ang Hornby book of trains . This is part of the layout that featured in the amalgamation leaflet of 65 .  It is interesting because the narrative tells us that the coach behind the B12 is Maroon but the next one could easily be green or crimson and cream and still authentic , completely ignoring the fact that you really wouldn’t have seen a B12 and blue Class 31 together , never mind a Hymek on a Freightliner . Oh well , it didn’t matter at the time .

As others have pointed out the binding on this book is an issue , this is my original 1969 edition which through lots of use is falling to pieces , so apologies for the binding line that goes up the middle of this layout , but I think it still captures the essence . I do have a pristine Book of Trains as well , but I certainly didn’t want to wedge the page open 

6AF46776-EAE6-4281-9223-E92ABDBD7FA6.jpeg

The original 1967 studio photo featured in this publication.C2526914-FD32-4A07-A33E-DD64330C8B33.jpeg.efd5dc10e1ae6d1ea86108abdcd2521f.jpeg

• Like 7

On 20/12/2020 at 17:07, Legend said:

Well as it’s coming to Christmas , everybody deserves a Hornby Trainset .  The new Black 5 center stage .  R550 black 9F on top level with brightly coloured freight , evening Star on the Pullman and the 37 (complete with front slot , why didn’t they turn it round?) on the Inter - City . Another layout where I tried to figure out where all tracks went . Little did I know it was just a scene for the catalogue . It went on to be in that years advertisements 

8CA812A0-49CC-4288-B29B-71FCE88B9117.jpeg

The very first print run (quite hard to find) from ‘73 contained numerous errors , the original photo featured the ‘son’ lying while the background was dark blue . Subsequent editions amended him to a seated position while superimposing the backdrop to light blue.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Pylon King said:

Also Model-Land factory units and figures, Minic Motorways vehicles and the original Minix car (silver wheels and chassis’s) range all long gone.

True, though I was referring there to the railway range. Listing of those other three ranges in the T-H catalogues was on/off over the years. The 4mm Arkitex range (other than the adopted R589 Ultra-Modern Station set) was never listed, though they did feature in the mid-60s catalogue layout photos.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

True, though I was referring there to the railway range. Listing of those other three ranges in the T-H catalogues was on/off over the years. The 4mm Arkitex range (other than the adopted R589 Ultra-Modern Station set) was never listed, though they did feature in the mid-60s catalogue layout photos.

It also extended to their 1970’s in-house built shop display layouts as well .  I recall wanting several Model-Land figures which were glued on the Bentalls department store layout , to my amazement the sales team popped a few off free of charge .

• Like 5