Sheet materials for laser cutting - where in the UK do you get yours?

• RMweb Gold

I’m thinking about buying a laser cutter next year and was wondering where other (UK), users obtained their sheet materials from?

I did try an internet search, but just got swamped by websites of companies that offer laser cutting services, not the raw materials needed!

Regards

Dan

Do a search on specific materials - like "1mm MDF" - and suppliers will pop up in Google,  and they usually have other thicknesses like 1.5mm, 2mm, etc.   Do the same for "Laserable ply" and Laserable Plastic".   For card,  a good stationer usually has a selection,  but have a look at the cardboard food cartons you throw out - there's some very nice card there.

Jim.

• Like 1

From memory I seem to recall that MDF can be an issue with some variants more prone to giving off toxic vapors under a laser than others, but this might be scaremongering. I can tell you that lasers cause everything to stink of smoke for a few days after cutting, if you can get a laser with an extraction system that will take it outside the building go for it ;-)

• Like 1

As others Hobart’s are good, trotec too, kitronix and timberite both supply laser ply. All depends upon size of sheet and thickness you want, plus volume of order.

Depending upon the power of your laser I wouldn’t use standard cardboard, very likely to go up in smoke on higher powered machines if you don’t adjust settings and even then use carefully esp with comp air feed. Use mountboard as a safer option. A local picture framer may have off-cuts.

As @Crosland writes the adhesives are important, so double check any MSDS where you can.

@bmthtrains - DavidMost materials can be considered a potential carinogenic hazard when processed, hardwoods cut with machinery without proper extraction for example.  Laser cutting is burning/melting, it is smelly and should always be done using properly carbon filtered extraction if vents to an internal space or if external direct to atmosphere with a stack. You should always purge the bed once a job has been finished and some materials such as acrylic will continue to ‘off-gas’ once cut and removed. Pungent and spreads a long way! Like anything, be aware of the hazards and resulting risks and ensure appropriate mitigation is in place even if a hobby.

Cheers,

andy

• Like 1

I can tell you one thing to never cut in a laser..... Vinyl

It gives off Hydrogen Chloride gas which is nasty enough in itself but it will combine with any moisture in the air and turn into Hydrochloric Acid 

• Like 1

Hobarts is good for 2mm and up in wood. For laser-grade MDF in (nominal!) 1mm and 1.5mm (more like 1.1/1.2 and 1.7mm in my experience, with slight variations) I use 4D Model Shop in London (https://modelshop.co.uk/). An architectural modelmaking shop but with some very handy bits and pieces; I usually pop in when I'm in London for more than a day.

• Like 1

I only have a diode laser (Emblaser 1) which which I cut acrylic (black works best) ply and MDF from Hobarts. I did buy some 1mm from 4D, but strangely I can't cut it, although I can cut Hobarts 2mm with no problem!.

I have a genuinely never used or even powered up Emblaser 2  which could be available for sale for a very reasonable price. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/12/2020 at 15:50, Fen End Pit said:

Another happy user of 4D model shop here, great for the proper laser grade thin MDF (1mm and 3mm I use) and also for thin ply. For larger, thick materials I use SLEC https://www.slecuk.com/

They do 6mm ply and helpfully will provide it cut in the 900x600 size that my cutter will take.

David

I end up there almost every time I come over to the UK. Nice people, and loads of things to look at. I get my mdf and oiled manilla board from there.