Liverpool Overhead Railway information needed

• RMweb Premium

A friend on the Trainz simulator forum is working on a large digital model of the Liverpool Overhead Railway and while he has been able to gather together a considerable amount of information and work on the model is going well there is one bridge that he has not been able to find any information about.  If you can help he would be very grateful.

This is his request for information from the Trainz forum,

'Hi,
Bob and I are recreating the Liverpool Overhead Railway and we have managed to obtain a lot of information from Mike Edge, Liverpool Museums, books, and online. We have modelled virtually all aspects of the line itself, or are in the process of doing so. However, we need information about one very special bridge.

Stanley Dock double-level swing/lift bridge

This carried the LOR and the MD&HBR (Mersey Docks and Harbour Railway) across the entrance to Stanley Dock. It was on two levels. The upper section carried the LOR and the lower carried the MD&HBR and road. I have one photo of the bridge which shows part of it closed. It was in two sections but it is unclear how big they were and, most importantly, how they functioned. Any information would be gratefully received.

Please note that this bridge was/is NOT the existing bascule bridge carrying a roadway, which was installed in the 1930s and recently renovated. Almost invariably, a Google search points you to this one, not the LOR bridge. We have trawled online extensively without success. There is no need to point us towards Wikipedia etc., or books - I think Bob and I have bought all those published on the LOR between us.

Steve'

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I take it your friend has seen this picture, from

https://www.benjidog.co.uk/Geoff Topp Postcards/northdocks.html:

image.png.13d8c98970cbc179abb78bb7c957ea18.png

The LOR/MDHBR bridge is in the foreground. The 1930s road bridge mentioned in the post is behind it.

Then there is this drawing, from the other side, with an earlier road bridge (from https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Swing_Bridge,_Stanley_Dock,_Liverpool):

image.png.25d3001d3bae3e75d8b9b0a1ad51002b.png

The web page text reckons that "swing bridge" refers to the road bridge, and all it says about the railway bridge is that it is an "opening" bridge. Personally, I think it is likely that the railway bridge is (also) a swing bridge. The artist does not portray the road bridge as opening at all, but that is probably an error on their part.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought I'd let you know Jeremy that the photograph you posted from the postcard website was one that my friend hadn't seen before and it's helped to answer a good few of the questions he had about the bridge.  So again thank you, he's very grateful for your help.

I know it's a long time ago and probably impossible to source now and so of little use BUT. I'm sure around or just after closure of the railway in 1956 "Meccano Magazine" ran a series of articles on the LOR I can remember reading my pals copies and being fascinated by it. It was probably a most accurate series as of course Meccano/Hornby were based only a stones throw away from it in Liverpool and their engineering articles were always excellent. I've no doubt that if anyone has these back numbers they will be worth a mint as collectors items if they are any still about but it's just a thought.. 

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Thanks 1