The Forest Railroad at Dobwalls.

• RMweb Gold

New County Hall is where my dad worked - in fact the whole reason for us being in Cornwall. He was a civil engineer in the highways department. We used to walk our Irish Setter down Penwethers Lane.

Oh wow, this has unlocked some memories. I went there when I was a kid, and I had such a great time I got to go again the next day! It wasn’t that long ago I was trying to remember an American style miniature railway and began to wonder if I made the whole thing up. Pity it’s closed down, that Big Boy was very impressive.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Visited Dobwalls many times over the years, was a regular stopping point en-route to or from Cornwall holidays.

Very sad when it closed down.  Never saw the Big Boy in action though.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

New County Hall is where my dad worked - in fact the whole reason for us being in Cornwall. He was a civil engineer in the highways department. We used to walk our Irish Setter down Penwethers Lane.

My mum worked in Old County Hall! Her office overlooked the railway and on one visit in 1970 I saw two-tone green Class 47 1759 entering the station on an up train - not only was a Stratford loco a rarity in Cornwall, this one's future would include a rebuild as 57601 and a garish silver and purple livery!

I noticed in April that Old County Hall is currently being converted into residential accommodation. At least the residents won't be disturbed by twin Maybachs bellowing up the 1 in 60 to Highertown Tunnel 😆!!

• Funny 1