The Hornby Advent Calendar 2020

Hroth

I got an email from Hornby this morning.

(Doubtless, all on their mailing list got it too...)

IT'S BACK!

Yes, the Hornby Advent Calender has returned for Christmas 2020

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/advent-calendar

Today: Win a Family Fun Project Christmas Hamper by subscribing to the newsletter.

Enjoy!  :jester: or perhaps :crazy:

Other Model Railway themed Advent Calendars are available online...

Edited by Hroth
Title de-emphasis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, if you are subscribed to the Hornby Newsletter, they send you a message pointing out a prize draw (?) to win a hamper, by subscribing to the Hornby Newsletter ? :sorry_mini::unknw_mini:

Well, you fill in a form to enter, name and email address...

Terms and Conditions:

By entering the competition, you are consenting to receive email communications from Hornby Hobbies Ltd. You can unsubscribe from these communications at any time. 

(etc. )

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
More added...
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I can name that loco in one....

Its a steam engine!!!  :jester:

Actually, from the visible fragment, it looks like the cover could be a bit of a homage to Cuneo. 

Hornby2021.jpg.4ada6aabe6ca54f0574aab9f7077501e.jpg

They could also have offered several catalogue prizes, rather than just one.

Oh well. 

Edited by Hroth
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Oooh I wonder if that means a brand new 9F

Never say never I suppose but unless the existing Hornby mold has finally expired it would be curious choice for them given the excellence of the Bachmann version, the fact that Bachmann are still making them and the number of variations they can get out of the existing tooling. About the only thing Hornby could improve upon is having proper bearings in the chassis

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Never say never I suppose but unless the existing Hornby mold has finally expired it would be curious choice for them given the excellence of the Bachmann version, the fact that Bachmann are still making them and the number of variations they can get out of the existing tooling. About the only thing Hornby could improve upon is having proper bearings in the chassis

and brakes ....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

and brakes ....

Brakes good on the Bachmann - indeed noticeable by their absence on the Hornby version. Wasnt it suggested at the time of the Hornby loco driven 9F that they (Hornby) had been planning a whole new model but abandoned that in the face of the Bachmann  version?

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Maybe more than just a homage to Cuneo?

Tri-ang Hornby Catalogue 1971....

B2B49A7D-8AA9-4E01-A639-14CF82B9D130.jpeg.5a73b6955398af07decd950412373610.jpeg

Nice one . Yep definitely the same picture , and its just dawned on me :50 years since they introduced Evening Star . God I feel old !

I watched the Q&A session with Simon and Montana yesterday , it was very good .  And in it I believe Montana confirmed 5th January as being the 2021 Range release date .  Genuinely no idea what they will introduce this year , although suspect the above might be a wee hint at a reintroduction - unless they are really pulling our legs !

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

I knew what it was, I've got a print somewhere.

I did think there was no clues.

But look in the background, something green wet and rusty beginning with M.....

;) 

It looks like a 43xx (no cab windows), and as Dapol have done that... 

Of course, if you plonk a Collett cab on the back end, it might just become a Manor, and that ticks ALL the boxes.

GWR

Green

4-6-0

Not over-big, but you can't have everything

But then again, Dapol are covering that too, unless Hornby can get one out before Dapol...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hroth said:

It looks like a 43xx (no cab windows), and as Dapol have done that... 

Of course, if you plonk a Collett cab on the back end, it might just become a Manor, and that ticks ALL the boxes.

GWR

Green

4-6-0

Not over-big, but you can't have everything

But then again, Dapol are covering that too, unless Hornby can get one out before Dapol...

Dapol have done a 63XX. That leaves well over 250 locomotives that their model doesn't cater for. Including the two preserved examples.

However I just think it's a coincidence, but I could see a GWR Mogul appearing from somewhere. Besides I don't think certain manufacturers are as bothered about repetition as they once were....

Getting back to the Advent thing. Don't forget the other ranges also have one.

Jason

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Getting back to the Advent thing. Don't forget the other ranges also have one.

As mentioned at the bottom of the very first post...

Other Model Railway themed Advent Calendars are available online...

5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I mean Corgi, Scalextric, etc.

Oh yes, they have Advent Calendars too, don't they!

But as Thomas Hardy might have said*, If you are for Trains, you have to be against Cars!

* Of course, his comparison in "Under The Greenwood Tree" was between strings and woodwind in church gallery bands...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hroth said:

Oh yes, they have Advent Calendars too, don't they!

But as Thomas Hardy might have said*, If you are for Trains, you have to be against Cars!

* Of course, his comparison in "Under The Greenwood Tree" was between strings and woodwind in church gallery bands...

And it’s a taxi cab in window 3.... ;)

The image is not quite aligned with Cuneo's but an all new 9F would not surprise me. Maybe they deem the Bachmann offering as old now and want to offer something like they did with the Princess Coronation class.

Would I be after a new 9F to replace my Bachmann pair (or Hornby Crosti)? Probably not until they become life expired.

2 hours ago, Kris said:

Christmas gift guide today. 

1 hour ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

And it’s a taxi cab in window 3.... ;)

Cars, vans and lorries, oh MY....

I suppose they might as well tap the market for something to put in the station forecourt or goods yard.  I didn't watch all the way through, was there a bus to put on a bridge? Or for a rail replacement service?

At least it wasn't a facebook/twitter competition.  I suppose that will come soon enough...

26 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

The image is not quite aligned with Cuneo's but an all new 9F would not surprise me. Maybe they deem the Bachmann offering as old now and want to offer something like they did with the Princess Coronation class.

Would I be after a new 9F to replace my Bachmann pair (or Hornby Crosti)? Probably not until they become life expired.

Perhaps it'll be a two-phase process.

A retooled chassis with all mod cons with the railroad body for this year, positioning it as "Railroad Plus", then when things have settled down, a retooled body for a full fat release.

• Like 1

Hornby have always teased us with a snippet from their catalogue covers (atleast in the recent years). So I am sure they aren't pulling our legs with that. The 50 years since the 1971 catalogue is an obvious connection. But I'll be surprised if they bring out a re-tooled 9F. Can't fault the Bachmann model and it is perfectly fine.

Probably more like it being one of their legacy products and they always want it in their range.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3