Hunslet 16" 0-6-0 Saddle Tank - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

903004: No. 3783/1953, Holly Bank No. 3, NCB lined blue

Will this be the in-service one or the preserved one? I assume as it quotes 3783 (formerly Darfield No.1) that it's as preserved at Chasewater? Both in preservation era and in service there are livery/deco permutations. Not that there's too much in the way of difference so it's a definite whichever way!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Will this be the in-service one or the preserved one? I assume as it quotes 3783 (formerly Darfield No.1) that it's as preserved at Chasewater? Both in preservation era and in service there are livery/deco permutations. Not that there's too much in the way of difference so it's a definite whichever way!

The model is of the preserved one. Chasewater have been fantastically helpful with the project. However, we are sure the many talented modellers out there will be able to add some extra handrails and tank footsteps should they wish to model the in service loco. :-)

Andy

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Amand said:

Will the motor be coreless or a traditional one? Also are the wheels linked by gears or do the coupling rods do all the work? 

And will it be a typical drive system for UK Rapido steam projects, eg 15xx too?

• Like 2

Ah nuts. Might have to get a pair (and maybe a 3rd as PWD79-can you do them in HO next? :) ).

I will ask, is there any chance of the 4 Gas Producing Combustion System locomotives being done? Technically an easy enough modification set to be done, but worth asking.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Knowing next to nothing about industrials, did Hunslet have a standard livery for its engines?

I ask because if the modeller has a freelance layout they might prefer such a livery to a bespoke one.

Possibly green as I've seen photographs of these and the other variants in a very similar livery to the top photo here.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/hunslet-works-no-1953-jacks-green-0-6-0st/

And Kinsley/Fitzwilliam at Southport was a similar colour.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/hunslet-works-no-1954-kingsley-0-6-0st/

But I would assume that many would be delivered in whatever livery the buyer wanted and most of these went to collieries or ironstone quarries.

Jason

Never in my wildest dreams did I expect one of these. 

Definitely will have a Holly Bank No 3, as my mate is building one in 7mm, because his dad drove the real one in service. I believe Robert Nelson No 4 and Carol Ann No 5 were of the same design and work the Cannock Chase coalfields ending at Littleton colliery.

https://chasewaterstuff.wordpress.com/ncb-west-midlands-division-area-2-locomotives/hilton-main-holly-bank-locomotives/

Robert Nelson No 4 was preserved at the Great Central Railway for a period but according to the interwebby it is currently in Ireland. 

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Fireline said:

Just praying that the motors aren't coreless, so they don't cough and splutter when running down my gradients!

It’s not the fact that it’s a coreless motor that gives those types of issues.

• Agree 5

OMG, a 15XX AND one of these!!  I'll start saving my pocket money now!

As asked on the 15XX thread and already asked here above, how easy will it be for conversion to P4 and EM?  1/8" axles and drop out wheelsets would be a definite advantage. No need for valve gear clearance here!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Knowing next to nothing about industrials, did Hunslet have a standard livery for its engines?

I ask because if the modeller has a freelance layout they might prefer such a livery to a bespoke one.

The answer is "sort of". We have been lucky to have copies of the original Hunslet paint records supplied to us by someone who was very involved with the Hunslet Engine Co. Interestingly whilst the lining was similar, 'standard' green was known as Victoria green. However other greens include Bright, Olive, Standard and Brunswick (and that's just for the 16in locos!) Many of them were green of one form or another and Arthur and Thorne No.1 were selected to give a lined and unlined example.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, 69843 said:

Ah nuts. Might have to get a pair (and maybe a 3rd as PWD79-can you do them in HO next? :) ).

I will ask, is there any chance of the 4 Gas Producing Combustion System locomotives being done? Technically an easy enough modification set to be done, but worth asking.

Take a look at the livery slide show on the website and have a close look at Beatrice ;-)

Andy

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Very nice and I notice there's a gap under the boiler too! :P

1 hour ago, Amand said:

Will the motor be coreless or a traditional one? Also are the wheels linked by gears or do the coupling rods do all the work? 

The gap under the boiler was a must for us.

We are currently using a similar method to the Model Rail J70 locos with gears driving all the axles.

The motor depends very much on the space - keep an eye out for further developments there in the future. 

2 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Where did they work? Mines, collieries and quarries throughout Yorkshire and the Midlands although one worked in a power station in Wales. Four were exported to Peru and one to Australia. This locomotive, Public Works Department No. 79 (No. 1825/1938) is now on display at the New South Wales Rail Museum in Thirlmere.

This looks very nice.

Anyone know if any of the NCB ones managed to visit the Kent coalfield or anywhere in the South ?

All the best

Ray