Hunslet 16" 0-6-0 Saddle Tank - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

27 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

Take a look at the livery slide show on the website and have a close look at Beatrice ;-)

Andy

Aha! Well done, and I think that's now a definite must purchase!

Congratulations again. Having played with a mate's pair of J70s, I have no doubt these will be spectacular models in their own rights.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't really need one of these, so there's nothing for me in this announcement either.

On the other hand, I said the same after buying my second Hornby W4 Peckett, fat lot of good that did me. With little cuties like these, when 'Need' comes up against 'Want', it's the latter that wins out every time.

I've also got the Judith Edge etched kit for one of these waiting to be built. So now it looks as if Rapido have decided which of my kit stash is going to get built next and on what timescales.

So, I'll have to complete the etched example before I purchase one (or more) of these little beauties.

Well done Rapido! This is all superb stuff.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I see no one has commented on the price.

£129.99 is actually a superb price considering the specification of the model. The comparison is with the EFE Rail J94, which has an RRP of £149.99, for what is, on paper, a poorer loco.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, 26power said:

What does that mean then, for those who haven’t followed other Rapido releases?

I'm not sure what it means, but it occurs to me that a P4 option for the Hunslet, should the Rapido chassis not easily lend itself to conversion, may be to politely ask Mike Edge for the Judith Edge chassis components.

After all, JE have now made their 'Janus' 0-6-0 diesel chassis available separately, for those who wish to put it under the Oxford Rail body.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rapidoandy said:

The gap under the boiler was a must for us.

We are currently using a similar method to the Model Rail J70 locos with gears driving all the axles.

The motor depends very much on the space - keep an eye out for further developments there in the future. 

Oh sh bother. The second and third items are a bit of a cold shower for me.

16 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I'm not sure what it means, but it occurs to me that a P4 option for the Hunslet, should the Rapido chassis not easily lend itself to conversion, may be to politely ask Mike Edge for the Judith Edge chassis components.

After all, JE have now made their 'Janus' 0-6-0 diesel chassis available separately, for those who wish to put it under the Oxford Rail body.

It makes sense for Mike to do the same, just as RT did with the Austerity  That made the ( erhmm, cough) DJM Austerity do-able in EM/P4 as the DJM all axle driven mechs turned out to be a bag of spanners. As I already have a Judith Edge flatpack 16" plus wheels motor and gearbox, it wont be a buy for me, but if I hadn't  the kit I'd be getting a Rapido model and badgering Mike for a chassis.

Edited by Persephone

1 hour ago, 26power said:

What does that mean then, for those who haven’t followed other Rapido releases?

Well, to me it means that swopping wheels and axles for suitable alternatives such as Gibson wheels could be rather difficult given all the cogs and suchlike that would have to be transposed to the new axles.  Captain K's idea of  JE chassis would work I suppose - but what would you do with the OO chassis?  Find a 7mm narrow gauge modeller possibly that would pay a realistic price for it?  May as well buy the JE kit and have all the pleasure of building it.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Persephone said:

It makes sense for Mike to do the same, just as RT did with the Austerity  That made the ( erhmm, cough) DJM Austerity do-able in EM/P4 as the DJM all axle driven mechs turned out to be a bag of spanners. As I already have a Judith Edge flatpack 16" plus wheels motor and gearbox it wont be a buy for me but if I hadn't I'd be badgering Mike for a chassis.

Well, I had been planning to build my JE kit in OO, so the Rapido announcement made me think I could convert it and have on for the P4 layout as well, but it will probably make more sense to keep the Rapido one as OO and build the JE kit in P4.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Depending on what it matches, there might be an opportunity for 3D printed kit manufacturers to utilise it, maybe?

Of course, I could always build an OO layout using the new bullhead track and points that are now available.................:o:rolleyes:

• Like 3

This is excellent news. 

A couple of queries regarding the prototype choices: 

Will the model of Oxfordshire Ironstone HE3716/52 "Alex" have the correctly modified buffer beams with buckeye couplings? Notably she didn't have a coupling hook. Looking at your livery samples the frames and sandboxes were also crimson on her too, I believe. 

Alex.png.db446446954d315449040efff16e1f2f.png

In addition, would there be a possibility to offer the model of "Jacks Green" with separately fitted etched name plates along with the name "Ring Haw"? Both locos wore identical liveries and worked together at Nassington Quarries topping and tailing trains out of the pit.

Both are also preserved (Ring Haw notably in operational condition on the NNR). I'd like both and I expect a few people may be in the same boat. 

Paul A. 

Edited by 1whitemoor
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 minutes ago, 1whitemoor said:

This is excellent news. 

A couple of queries regarding the prototype choices: 

Will the model of Oxfordshire Ironstone HE3716/52 "Alex" have the correctly modified buffer beams with buckeye couplings? Notably she didn't have a coupling hook. Looking at your livery samples the frames and sandboxes were also crimson on her too, I believe. 

Alex.png.db446446954d315449040efff16e1f2f.png

In addition, would there be a possibility to offer the model of "Jacks Green" with separately fitted etched name plates along with the name "Ring Haw"? Both locos wore identical liveries and worked together at Nassington Quarries topping and tailing trains out of the pit.

Both are also preserved (Ring Haw notably in operational condition on the NNR). I'd like both and I expect a few people may be in the same boat. 

Paul A. 

Hi Paul,

Being honest it is unlikely we will specifically do the buckeye equipment for the OIC examples. There were others with deeper buffer beams as well. I will certainly pass the comments on for review.

Livery wise we were provided details of the "as built" livery from the Hunslet records. However if you have any more photos that show otherwise we would love to hear from you - feel free to drop me a PM.

We intend to produce more of these in the future and personally I would like to see Ring Haw feature.

Thanks

Andy 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Oh yes. I think I'll be buying one of those. We used to have Glasshoughton No4 at Blaenavon.  

I was partly involved in the restoration of it!

Never had a go of it as it spent a lot of time on loan. But I had stopped regularly volunteering by the time it was steaming anyway.

Jason

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

The model is of the preserved one. Chasewater have been fantastically helpful with the project. However, we are sure the many talented modellers out there will be able to add some extra handrails and tank footsteps should they wish to model the in service loco. :-)

Andy

I’ll have to get one then - love the loco and am a big fan of the chasewater too