Hunslet 16" 0-6-0 Saddle Tank - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium

If anyone needs to justify running one of these on the "main-line" this is Jacks Green scampering along the East Coast Main Line south of Peterborough on its way from Nassington Quarry to the Peterborough Sugar Factory

https://jpsgallery.zenfolio.com/p127423666/hf0fe1f58#hf0fe1f58

And a photo of a well weathered Ring Haw at Nassington, both photo's by M. Bratley

https://jpsgallery.zenfolio.com/p127423666/hf019a40c#hf019a40c

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/12/2020 at 14:40, 5050 said:

Granted, but it will depend on how the gears are fitted/formed.  If they are separate sprockets fitted onto a 1/8" axle then they may be removable and fitted to a 1/8" axle such as the AG ones.  If however they are moulded as a one piece central section of a 3-part axle (with possible split frame current collection) then conversion - without an awful lot of work - is well nigh impossible.

I'd have thought that gears moulded into the central section of a 3-part axle would be pretty easy to convert - 3D print a new central section that's slightly longer, and swap that for the original?

• Like 1

I may be missing something somewhere, but I’m struggling to see how to buy one of these, where can advance orders be placed?

I’m not too familiar with Rapido so never bought anything of theirs, are they direct sales or via shops?

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, RANGERS said:

I may be missing something somewhere, but I’m struggling to see how to buy one of these, where can advance orders be placed?

I’m not too familiar with Rapido so never bought anything of theirs, are they direct sales or via shops?

Pre orders aren’t open yet as they are still trying to open a uk business account, this is the taster ;) 

2 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Pre orders aren’t open yet as they are still trying to open a uk business account, this is the taster ;) 

Hopefully with the second lockdown in the UK slowly ending maybe it won't be too much longer till they're able to and open up the pre-orders as I am verrry tempted to pre-order some of these and possibly a 15xx or 3 as well.

54 minutes ago, Nick C said:

I'd have thought that gears moulded into the central section of a 3-part axle would be pretty easy to convert - 3D print a new central section that's slightly longer, and swap that for the original?

You consider that easy?  There's also the need to make new part axles to fit the EM/P4 wheels onto - providing  of course that the axle holes/bearing surfaces are 1/8" - and to ensure they are able to fit tightly onto the new centre section.  All in all definitely not 'pretty easy'!

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, 5050 said:

You consider that easy?  There's also the need to make new part axles to fit the EM/P4 wheels onto - providing  of course that the axle holes/bearing surfaces are 1/8" - and to ensure they are able to fit tightly onto the new centre section.  All in all definitely not 'pretty easy'!

just go and be very nice to Mike Edge.. but teh chassis for the Judith Edge Kit is part of the whole loco etch.. 

Baz

8 minutes ago, 5050 said:

Converting a chassis designed like this is a big no no, it's a matter of  discarding and starting again. As welcome as this model is, if the chassis comes out as it is currently proposed I think I will wait until a finescale chassis, etched or 3D printed, is available. There are plenty of small shunting engines available nowadays, there is no need to buy a model just because it's 'nice to have'. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

30 minutes ago, Barry O said:

just go and be very nice to Mike Edge.. but teh chassis for the Judith Edge Kit is part of the whole loco etch.. 

Baz

I'm always nice to him

Just hedging my bets......................:rolleyes:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

If there's a commercially justifiable level of demand for conversion kits, there are a number of "finescale" suppliers who are perfectly capable of making replacement gears and axles to fit anything Rapido produce and accept existing ranges of aftermarket wheels.

The real issue is that they'll need Rapido to create a uniform standard of their own if (as seems likely) they shun the established ones.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1

I’d already sold on my two Centre Models versions and was pondering the sale of two Impetus kits in favour of another JE to add to the one which has languished, part-built, on the shelf for way too long.

This has spun a bit of a curved ball towards my target of modelling the two Nassington locos.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, RANGERS said:

Both (eventually).

If you have a favourite shop you like to deal with, ask them if they will be carrying the Rapido products - Rapido UK have a contact form on their website for interested retailers to contact them about it

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/retailers/

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, 5050 said:

I'm always nice to him

Just hedging my bets......................:rolleyes:

I'll remember that.....

As Barry says we can't supply the frames separately at the moment but it won't be difficult to produce a P4/EM kit in the same way we did for the Janus. It does depend on how the eventual rtr model is designed and how it comes apart though - the same process turned out to be impossible with the Heljan 05.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

I'll remember that.....

As Barry says we can't supply the frames separately at the moment but it won't be difficult to produce a P4/EM kit in the same way we did for the Janus. It does depend on how the eventual rtr model is designed and how it comes apart though - the same process turned out to be impossible with the Heljan 05.

Any chance that you might team up with Chris Gibbon and include a gearbox? All other things being equal of course...  Please? I’m thinking of the way you paired up for the Ruston 48DS which worked out very well.

Cheers,

David

I would have ordered one of these, but the power train is a no no to convert to P4. It’s an expensive way to have a loco when buying the RTR .loco and then a Mike Edge chassis.

So I am buying one of the Victory class to be introduced by Planet as it has a conventional power train.

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 06/12/2020 at 20:49, Norton961 said:

I would have ordered one of these, but the power train is a no no to convert to P4. It’s an expensive way to have a loco when buying the RTR .loco and then a Mike Edge chassis.

So I am buying one of the Victory class to be introduced by Planet as it has a conventional power train.

Ultimately David I think both routes you've suggested will be expensive or time consuming (or both). The added complication here is that we're talking about models nobody has handled yet - I would say it's questionable whether the PI Kerr Stuart will have sufficient clearance behind the crosshead for P4 without surgery (or indeed, an etched chassis). 

Paul A. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm absolutely delighted by this announcement; I've been hoping for someone to do a model of these for years! Price will be a big problem for me but it seems this is the going rate (before anyone says it, the EFE models are well overpriced, no matter how good they are). I'll just have to get saving! Really excited that it will use some die-cast construction too.

Re: EM/P4 conversion... as others have said, EM/P4 is a tiny proportion of the market and it probably doesn't make any sense for Rapido to spend significantly more money and time developing a model that can be easily converted for the sake of the tiny number of examples that will be bought with that in mind.

Thanks Andy & Rapido for bringing a much-wanted  model to the market

• 1 month later...

Afternoon everyone. 

Those of you signed up to our newsletter will have just received their latest edition - inducing an update on the 16" Hunlset.

We have put together a short video showing some of the work so far and the various details for you all to enjoy:

Take care,

Andy

• Like 9

3 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Afternoon everyone. 

Those of you signed up to our newsletter will have just received their latest edition - inducing an update on the 16" Hunlset.

We have put together a short video showing some of the work so far and the various details for you all to enjoy:

Take care,

Andy

Certainly beats my kit built one (a Judith Edge kit if you're interested).

20210109_221102.jpg.d421c5eaec19d36b49417c890fb23ddb.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 05/12/2020 at 09:58, Michael Edge said:

it won't be difficult to produce a P4/EM kit in the same way we did for the Janus.

It does depend on how the eventual rtr model is designed and how it comes apart though - the same process turned out to be impossible with the Heljan 05.

Now that we've seen the way that the 16XX has been put together, I am wondering if the Hunslet will be done in a similar manner? If so, then as Mike Edge has intimated, there may be little sense in producing a separate chassis kit, because the 16XX, certainly isn't a simple case of undoing a couple of screws and just taking the complete body off, as with (say) a Bachmann pannier.

With the 16XX, to get a complete body only, 'Bachmann style', you would have to dismantle all the major components of the loco and re-assemble the body only parts, this being made more challenging, due to the fact that the smokebox saddle and firebox sides appear to be part of one integral casting, in which the motor and worm wheel is also contained.

The CAD video that Rapido Andy put up is fantastic and looks to be a lovely model of a pretty little prototype. There seems to be full daylight under the boiler, with no obvious place to put the final drive on either the leading or middle axles, possibly pointing towards it being on the rear axle.

I have gone on at length (sorry, Rapido) about the 16XX on that particular thread but I still applaud Rapido for their decisions to produce their own range of UK steam locos.

If the Hunslet (and the 15XX, for that matter) are put together in the same way as the 16XX, then clearly this is entirely Rapido's decision and I accept that this may be for entirely legitimate manufacturing and engineering reasons, in which case I would respectfully suggest to all those wanting an EM or P4 model of either prototype, to simply build the relevant kit (Judith Edge for the Hunslet and NuCast Partners for the 15XX).

It won't stop me buying a Hunslet when they come out, though. I already have an unbuilt Judith Edge kit for the Hunslet, which I was going to build in OO, so the Rapido one was going to be converted to P4. If this proves problematic, however, I would be a case of building the Judith Edge kit in P4 and keeping the Rapido model in OO.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I make no claim that any manufacturer should consider the needs of EM and P4 modellers. I accept that we are a tiny, tiny minority of the overall market and to make any manufacturing or engineering concessions for our needs make no commercial sense whatsoever, unless they can be commercially justified.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It sounds like Rapido is using the same type of mechanism as they have used for their Royal Hudson and the upcoming CPR D10 in HO. It would make sense for them to use the same mechanism in any UK steam. 

Cheers,

David