Hunslet 16" 0-6-0 Saddle Tank - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

15 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

He was in China recently and posted some pictures of an aviation museum too.

Well that is good to hear. I thought he might have had his house repo'd and be living in a tent somewhere. 

Will they fit decent looking wheels to the Hunslet?  This horrid thin tyred rendition would be condemned in real life.  Some spoke fillets (especially where they meet the counterweight) need to be split radially in the design software, and a smaller radius used on the lesser angled side to get the fillets evened up.

2090446373_Rapido_Hunsletwheelonearlysample.jpg.43023e8c9a08854335a55d4d783e0243.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Being a long time fan of the Oxfordshire ironstone fields I am really pleased that ‘Alex’ is to be one of the liveries. Ordered a sound version to work alongside ‘The Bursar’, ‘Sir Thomas’, ‘Grace’ etc. I personally couldn’t care less about the drive as long as it pulls well, which appears to be what’s being reported.

3 hours ago, brianCAD said:

Will they fit decent looking wheels to the Hunslet? 

Split axle pick ups too. S'pose it saves on copper wipers.

Lift off tank to access the electrics looks to be a bit innovative.

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, brianCAD said:

Will they fit decent looking wheels to the Hunslet?  This horrid thin tyred rendition would be condemned in real life.  Some spoke fillets (especially where they meet the counterweight) need to be split radially in the design software, and a smaller radius used on the lesser angled side to get the fillets evened up.

2090446373_Rapido_Hunsletwheelonearlysample.jpg.43023e8c9a08854335a55d4d783e0243.jpg

Look like the wheel centre before the actual tyre is added. Whoops. Oh CAD……

• RMweb Gold
On 28/08/2021 at 08:08, Izzy said:

Look like the wheel centre before the actual tyre is added. Whoops. Oh CAD……

Just observation (s) on my part, but I'd agree that the wheel rim is quite undersize. Looking at the brake rigging, and you get a fair indication of what sort of diameter the complete wheel ought to be. Cardiff East Moors steelworks had a fleet of these, along with some 18" versions. Jessie is still in fine working order at Pontypool & Blaenavon. The mechanical lubricator is (was) an aftermarket addition: the original lubrication set-up was the same as the 18" Hunslet.   The front of the model looks as though the front bufferbeam has had a 'rough shunt'. It could be copying real life, or the EP taking a tumble. What I don't like, sadly, is the significant gap between footplate & smokebox. You wouldn't have that in real life: the smokebox requires an airtight seal to allow the locomotive to work correctly.  That said, it's still the EP.

Do I like it? Yes I do. Will I buy one?  At this rate, certainly.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 28/08/2021 at 18:14, Fredo said:

Hi, does anyone know if any of the 5 models fit into a layout of the late 50’s/early 60’s?  Thanks Fred 

The 16" Hunslet operated a number of colliery lines in that period. My interest is South Staffordshire and there were several active locos in the country. Maybe the most well known is Holly Bank No 3  Which at one time  worked the Holly Bank / Hilton Main system. The colliery at Holly Bank mined coal which interchanged with the national railway at Springhill or Essington on the Walsall-Rugeley "Cannock line". There was also a branch down to Short Heath basin which conveyed both landsale coal in 7 plank wagons and boxes on flats for transhipping into canal narrow boats.  The line was dieselised by NCB in around 1959 or 1960 and the steam were mostly transferred to Littleton colliery. 

This webpage will be of interest because it features Holly Bank No 3, Robert Nelson No 4 and Carol Ann No 5. When Carol Ann was transferred to Littleton they had to grind off the No 5 from the nameplates because Littleton already had a No 5.  Carol Ann became Littleton's No 1 https://chasewaterrailwaymuseum.blog/tag/carol-ann-no-5/

The original Holy Bank No 3 was scrapped but Robert Nelson No 4 survived in preservation and I believe is now in Ireland. The loco which now calls itself Holly Bank No 3  was formerly Darfield  No 1

• Informative/Useful 1

Further information - I believe the Holly Bank system at various times operated Holly Bank Nos 1-5, two Austerity "J94"s, several Bagnall DL2s, and two different YEC Janus diesels.  There isn't a model available for the Bagnall diesel but I have some "Drewry" parts from lass 03 and 04  in my Round Tuit box. The Janus is available though, as a numerous BR steam locos which interchanged at the exchange sidings.  Interestingly BR had an agreement for their steam locos to run over the colliery lines to the colliery to take water. Bescot allocated steam locos of various types dependent on period could be used.    

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/08/2021 at 22:09, Covkid said:

Interestingly BR had an agreement for their steam locos to run over the colliery lines to the colliery to take water. Bescot allocated steam locos of various types dependent on period could be used.    

Because of axle loading, more often the Midland 2F's.

• Agree 1

On 29/08/2021 at 08:49, tomparryharry said:

The mechanical lubricator is (was) an aftermarket addition: the original lubrication set-up was the same as the 18" Hunslet.   

When delivered new to Nassington Quarries both HE1953/1982 appear to have had this fitting and there are works photographs showing similar locos with Wakefield lubricators in situ on the footplate. 

Paul A. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

The first engineering sample in action...

Happy Wednesday!

Lovely. It would be interesting to hear it without music to hear the motor noise (or hopefully lack of it...).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tim Hall said:

Lovely. It would be interesting to hear it without music to hear the motor noise (or hopefully lack of it...).

I suspect the danger there would be that an engineering sample wouldn't represent what gets done in production, so it could potentially be misleading.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Covkid said:

Looking rather nice Andy.  That will be Holly Bank No 3 for me then.  Great

Thanks very much Andy and Rapido Trains 

Indeed, very nice, I'm not decided yet which one to go for, the livery samples will swing it for me when they appear too.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

Holly Bank No 3 ended up at Granville Colliery in Shropshire still in its blue livery. It arrived In 1966 and scrapped in 1968 on site. The Granville fleet is easily modelled as it had J94 style Austerities ( one with Giesel ejector), a Barclay 0-4-0 tank( as modelled by Hattons) and in earlier Barclay 0-6-0 side tank ( as modelled by High Level kits).

I have built Granville No 5 ( with Giesel), Granville No8, a Hattons Barclay and have a part built Holly Bank No 3 from an Impetus kit all in P4. Attached is a photo of Granville No 8 built from a Brassmasters kit.

C23DB332-80BD-41BC-9C13-9BADB620CECE.jpeg

Edited by Norton961
  • Like 4

On 08/10/2021 at 12:59, Norton961 said:

Holly Bank No 3 ended up at Granville Colliery in Shropshire still in its blue livery. It arrived In 1966 and scrapped in 1968 on site. The Granville fleet is easily modelled as it had J94 style Austerities ( one with Giesel ejector), a Barclay 0-4-0 tank( as modelled by Hattons) and in earlier Barclay 0-6-0 side tank ( as modelled by High Level kits).

I have built Granville No 5 ( with Giesel), Granville No8, a Hattons Barclay and have a part built Holly Bank No 3 from an Impetus kit all in P4. Attached is a photo of Granville No 8 built from a Brassmasters kit.

C23DB332-80BD-41BC-9C13-9BADB620CECE.jpeg

Great work "Norton"

Thanks for sharing 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, thx712517 said:

Any chance if adapting this into an Austerity later on? I'm in need/desire of a quality Austerity that runs well at creeping speed.

You could try suggesting it to them - https://rapidotrains.co.uk/product-suggestion/

But I would think with EFE now selling that recently tooled Austerity, and thus with the ability to release new versions at any time, it would be a very risky venture for anyone to take on bringing out another Austerity.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1