Hunslet 16" 0-6-0 Saddle Tank - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

Spotted on the Hardy's Hobbies website:

https://hardyshobbies.co.uk/shop/partners/rapido/rapido-trains-hunslet-16in-0-6-0st-plain-versions/

They appear to be offering unlined, unlettered versions, subject to meeting minimum pre-order numbers in each livery. Plus, each one will come with a driver and fireman figure from the Hardy's range. 

An easier answer to those wanting their own liveries without having to remove various printed-on details?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 19/10/2021 at 17:43, thx712517 said:

Any chance if adapting this into an Austerity later on? I'm in need/desire of a quality Austerity that runs well at creeping speed.

There is a 3rd option, the Hunslet 18" '50550' class, a development of this locomotive with a square bunker, saddle tank extended to the front of the smokebox, Austerity 'sad eye' spectacle windows, and the inset whistle/safety valve arrangement, but not quite an Austerity.  The 50550 shared the 3'6" driving wheels of the 16", but the 18" Austerity, which was a development of that class to War Department specifications, had 3'9" driving wheels and a slightly higher running plate, which meant that it had deeper buffer beams.  The bunker was extended a few inches rearwards out from the rear buffer beam.  The larger driving wheels meant a reduction in tractive effort, but the WD needed a loco that could run a little faster and further between water stops.  There were probably other differences as well.

We often refer to these locos as J94s, which should really apply only to the ex LNER BR class.  The Austerity design was based on the Hunlset 50550, but was built by a range of companies in addition to Hunslet, including RSH, Kerr Stuart, and Yorkshire Engine, and some of these may have had differences in component details.  A number of 50550s were produced by Hunslet after the war for industrial customers, and the market was flooded with ex WD Austerities in the late 40s.  Most of Hunslet's later steam production was to Austerity specification.

The NCB adopted the Austerity as it's standard type, and there were different versions available.  Some locos, including the LNER batch, had hopper bunkers which must have required high level or hopper coaling, there were Giesel ejector chimneys, and a 'single manning' kit produced by Hunslet in the 60s consisting of an undercab feed mechanical stoker and a 'gas producer' exhaust system.  Locos fitted with this could be distinguished by the stumpy conical chimney.

The chassis and mech of the Rapido Hunslet 16" can be used for a 50550 18", but not an 18" Austerity.  As for an Austerity for smooth creep performance (weighbridge?), the EFE has reviewed very well, but I have recently acquired a secondhand Hornby ex-Dapol loco that is a few years old but in good condition, and for which detailing parts are available, which is as good a creeper as I've ever owned, 7mins 31secs to run 12", under load.  I can get it to run even more slowly, but it starts to cog.  This started life as BR 68010, with a hopper bunker, but is now repainted into an NCB livery.  It has a 5-pole motor driving through a conventional worm and gear; brilliant little thing!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

The 50550 has 4' driving wheels, the Austerity has 4' 3".

You might have the inside dia. without the tyre?

A cheap way of building a 50550 is to put Dapol Terrier wheels onto the Dapol Austerity chassis (same fitment) to get the smaller diameter.

As chronicled by yours truly here:

As a side note, the 50550 was a development of the 48150 which was the same wheelbase and 4' wheel size as the 50550 but with a shorter saddle tank which did not cover the smokebox.

Some were built with Austerity cabs and some with 50550 style cabs, and some with hybrid cabs. The sole survivor 'Jessie' has always had the Austerity style cab.

FAI4022-(ZF-1810-45223-1-007).jpg.8b8e5eaca7df92cde8efb3f8ec633a05.jpg

The 48150s were in turn developed from an 18" 0-6-0T built for the Pontop and Jarrow Railway. This was a side tank with a belpaire boiler (apparently due to Hunslet simultaneously building 3F Jinties with belpaires for the LMS) but same dimensions as the 48150.

post-1643-0-89677900-1543489863_thumb.png.0a5cbade80afa81f1b231abbd1222f6d.png

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Why is the centre wheel weight effectively precisely where it normally shouldn't be?

Al.

13 hours ago, davknigh said:

To counterbalance the connecting rod.

Cheers,

David

3 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

(Specifically the connecting rod on the inside cylinders, which you can't see from the side!)

Quite a number of inside motion steam locos have the "odd looking" balance weight when you look at the photos

• RMweb Gold

It is very noticeable on my Austerity, which I have repainted from BR black as 68010 into a ficticious NCB light grey-green livery, including the wheel centres but not the balance weights.  I've also given her red coupling rods.  It all looks quite effective and 'busy' whirling around, especially when she gets a bit of a wiggle on... 

I'm old enough to rememebr 'Jessie' in service at East Moors Steelworks, and her career as a playground feature in Splott Park as a centre of graffiti.  Delighted to have seen her at the Dean Forest Railway and Blaenavon.  Her playground career means that she is well remembered by Splott, Roath, and Tremorfa residents of around my age and slightly younger. 

I have for many years been a bit 'sniffy' about inside cylindered industrials, as I am of the view that a 'proper' industrial is an outside cylindered saddle tank, and the 'total market penetration' of Austerities on the industrial/NCB scene of the 60s and 70s, and equally total penetration of the 'heritage' scene, did nothing to endear them to me.  I had a tendency to regard this series of Hunslet designs as sort of cheating, which was very unfair of me!  The model, which I've only had for a very short time, has rapidly become a favourite, though, and has been one of the factors in my decision to extend the layout to include a colliery.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3

I think people need to learn how steam locomotive valve gear works....

It's the balance for the crank axle and eccentrics which on these is the centre wheel. Locomotives got the balance weights where it was most effective at balancing rather than in a set place.

This is for an outside cylinder locomotive, the Hunslet has all the gear on the inside.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
On 29/10/2021 at 19:05, Skinnylinny said:

Spotted on the Hardy's Hobbies website:

https://hardyshobbies.co.uk/shop/partners/rapido/rapido-trains-hunslet-16in-0-6-0st-plain-versions/

They appear to be offering unlined, unlettered versions, subject to meeting minimum pre-order numbers in each livery. Plus, each one will come with a driver and fireman figure from the Hardy's range. 

An easier answer to those wanting their own liveries without having to remove various printed-on details?

Has anyone heard if they did indeed meet the minimal cut-off number for these to proceed? 

17 hours ago, 69843 said:

Has anyone heard if they did indeed meet the minimal cut-off number for these to proceed? 

Good question. 

Do post if you find out - I've put the deposit down but will seek it's return if it's not a goer. 

Paul A.

15 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Having asked the question it all looks to be good to go. As ‘our’ (Rapido) order book has been extended they have also kept theirs open to match.

Thanks Andy. Was a little confused as it was past the cutoff date but nothing had been heard.

I look forward to my RT/HH02, and might have to take it down to see PWD79 one day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi @rapidoandy and team. Are you guys planning to have decorated samples available before the revised order deadline for these models?

I’m interested in ordering one but I’m unsure as to which livery to go for. 

This is how I remember the class in the 1980s at Embsay:

67C5E426-E3E7-4DAB-96D6-84D8A394131E.jpeg.31081c61a6b421794c428a0584a6ff98.jpeg

This was a shot of Primrose No.2 on a gala day. 

But they also had Beatrice in faux-SECR green and Darfield No.1 (?) in black if I remember correctly. 

Edited by MrTea
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In the original batch, Beatrice is being done in the late condition with the stovepipe chimney while Primrose is the earlier black livery with classic chimney shape. 

In theory you could make Primrose No.2 in the condition shown in the photo by renaming and renumbering the Beatrice model?

Darfield No.1 later got renamed Holly Bank No.3 to represent a scrapped loco (the preserved, renamed loco is the one represented in the RTUK range).

Edited by Corbs
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, MrTea said:

Hi @rapidoandy and team. Are you guys planning to have decorated samples available before the revised order deadline for these models?

I’m interested in ordering one but I’m unsure as to which livery to go for. 

Same here, spoilt for choice, but I'd like to see the decorated samples beyond the green hand-painted one, looking forward to this release.

cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Corbs said:

In the original batch, Beatrice is being done in the late condition with the stovepipe chimney while Primrose is the earlier black livery with classic chimney shape. 

In theory you could make Primrose No.2 in the condition shown in the photo by renaming and renumbering the Beatrice model?

Thanks @Corbs.  That’s where I was thinking I might go:

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/product/16-hunslet-beatrice-south-yorkshire-area-ncb-lined-red/

With the SKU 903003 model I reckon repainting the buffer beams and replacing the name plates might be within my skills. I would imagine changing the NCB numbers from S119 to S121 wouldn’t be too hard either assuming suitable transfers are available?

I know the stovepipe chimney is an ‘acquired’ taste. But I quite like it. 

Other than that I reckon the most attractive liveries being offered are “Alex” (dark red) and “Jacks Green” (dark green). 

• Like 1

Evening all,

I apologise for being a little quiet of late - as you may have imagined we have been rather busy ;-)

Our general business model means we don't get individual livery samples of models. Our factories are smaller than most - the larger ones have whole areas devoted to paintwork and tampo printing an they are able to deliver decorated samples. For us to do so means fitting it in around productions schedules and also a cost implication. Time is another issue as setting up the tampo prints can take a long time (especially on ornate liveries).

This is where we ask people to look at the quality of things we have produced before, the Stirling Single, Dynamometer car etc. These are all well known for their high quality livery application. 

I have got the latest sets of artwork for you to enjoy:

Alex.jpg.aa8f80d995d1ec67c2c411b48575a58b.jpg

Arthur.jpg.bafbbb068cb47db306266730e725e60e.jpg

Beatrice.jpg.a4c05320851c913aa60b3dfd79b8d435.jpg

358674595_HollyBankNo3.jpg.43c5a6c75b9d70ae53baa01bdedf85e8.jpg

1802764798_JacksGreen.jpg.1e8eb727fb6f27de619f6f3005ae1a8a.jpg

430880775_PrimroseNo2.jpg.2964ed42630960b0d268373edfb3d41f.jpg

202155798_RingHaw.jpg.be9de1a592e30e2a93a09c4e4c403c2d.jpg

1119611872_ThorneNo1.jpg.f49b61c84d02e106c2f01faf762a324f.jpg

Hopefully you can pick a few your fancy purchasing :-).

Many thanks,

Andy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I'm struggling to narrow it down to a "reaosnable" number!

The "Alex" appears to have red frame sides now, is that right? As they've been black on previous artwork.

AFAIK the two Ox. Ironstone 16" locos had red frames ('Alex' and 'Frank') whereas 'Graham' the big 18" had black frames.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

22 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

The "Alex" appears to have red frame sides now, is that right? As they've been black on previous artwork.

Yes, it is prototypical... I was able to pass on some colour photographs of this loco to Rapido. 

Paul A. 

• Like 3