WR ‘15XX’ 0-6-0PT - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

12 hours ago, Les1952 said:

I'd been thinking of pulling out of OO when NO PLACE reaches the end of its exhibition life span.

However an NCB 15xx renumbered to one of those that didn't reach preservation, plus a 16" Hunslet in the next couple of years has set me thinking again......

Les

It will take another year before Bregenbach gets anywhere near finished so I've plenty of time to think..

I thought I had left 00 behind, things like this are pulling me back in!

• RMweb Gold

Sorry for the ad but does anybody fancy buying a Ks 15XX kit -in original packing, a proper historical relic.  Will sell for real money or swap for the Rapido model - your chance to make a killing on Ebay.

PS Lest Miss P should get in first I see from the CAD that the water feed pipes to the top feed are incorrectly arranged for some of the class - but it is an early CAD of course and teh pipework varied between the two sides of the engine anyway ;)

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Friendly/supportive 2

13 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I don't need a 15xx, on the other hand ay least 3 got to Stafford Road Works and one was snaffled to work a passenger train from Wolverhampton  and was photographed at Worcester on a train for Leamington via  Stratford.

Do you have any more details on these visits? Would love an excuse for one of these!

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

PS Lest Miss P should get in first I see from the CAD that the water feed pipes to the top feed are incorrectly arranged for some of the class - but it is an early CAD of course and teh pipework varied between the two sides of the engine anyway ;)

I'm not familiar with how the locos were arranged. I guess the only decent top-down views are ones of the preserved 1501, which may or may not be historically authentic. If the preserved 1501 is authentic, then Rapido's CAD seems reasonable to me.

1501-top-2.jpg.632cd3f10388f822097147e004f4a2b1.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, MatthewCarty said:

Do you have any more details on these visits? Would love an excuse for one of these!

Wolverhampton Works see

https://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2014/11/wolverhampton-works-1955-1963.html?m=1

For Worcester see this topic and the link in it 

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Thanks 2

The title says it all! The SVR seems to set its panniers similar duties to that of their larger locos.

This was the second time I had come across 1501. The first time was at the Bodmin pannier gala. 5 panniers without a 57xx derivative in sight! Remarkable stuff. One day we shall meet on a dry day...

1545812704_Panniers(149).JPG.4ded5d6f1ae62756cc55cd4631354f4a.JPG

1630711334_Panniers(150).JPG.da1f45caa51ba1766855c13a471d973f.JPG

• Like 10

1 hour ago, MPR said:

8C6C4385-706C-4F8D-A4B9-B9732D01518E.jpeg.dc891cb2e4bc404bb6f7b89aff230caa.jpeg

1501 (and 9466) at Buckfastleigh, 7th April 2019

1501 seems to have more purpose about it.

Shorter wheelbase- can go where 94xx would fall off the track.

Was there anything a 94xx could do that a 57xx couldn't (apart from annoy drivers who weren't big enough to hold the regulator and lean out of the cab at the same time?)

Les

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Les1952 said:

1501 seems to have more purpose about it.

Shorter wheelbase- can go where 94xx would fall off the track.

Was there anything a 94xx could do that a 57xx couldn't (apart from annoy drivers who weren't big enough to hold the regulator and lean out of the cab at the same time?)

Les

The 57XX and 94XX were allowed the same loads over the same routes.  The only difference between the two was the Route Availability with the 94XX being a Red engine so more restricted than the 57XX.   The original superheated 94XX were reckoned to be better for water consumption than the rest of the class and as an ex Fireman said to me many years ago they could 'go round Greenford with no worries about water' on heavy ECS, i.e they could run Paddington to OOC via Ealing, Geenford, and Park Royal on the  very heavy sleeping car trains with no worries about water.  

The 15XX was similarly restricted to the 94XX for Route Availability and were reputed to be not the best riding engines as they were inclined to 'snake' without a heavy load behind them at a speed much above normal shunting pace.  But they were much appreciated for their ease of oiling with no need to go underneath. 

20 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I'm not familiar with how the locos were arranged. I guess the only decent top-down views are ones of the preserved 1501, which may or may not be historically authentic. If the preserved 1501 is authentic, then Rapido's CAD seems reasonable to me.

On most views of the engines in traffic, except two of the left side of 1509 the feed pipes aren't visible above the tops of the tanks.  On 1509 the left side pipe is visible above the top of the tank and turns back towards the cab before going down.  The feed pipe below the side tank also appears to be shorter between the injector and the point where it bends upwards than on other engines.  The left hand feed pipe on 1502 was also visible above the tank on photos and possibly curved a little rearwards although this is not easy to confirm as the only photo I can find is not exactly square on to the engine.   

As the right hand injector was differently mounted from the left hand one it is not as easy to see or trace the route of the feed pipe below the tank although views of 1504 and 1505 suggest it is virtually in line with the top feed (again they are not precisely broad side on.  No doubt the original Swindon pipe drawings will show how the engines were when built.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks to Chris for his video of 1501 departing Kidderminster with 7 coaches - gloriously spectacular!  If anyone needs persuasion to buy one of Rapido's models, this should do it!

John Storey

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I was just wondering why none of my usual retailers have the 15xx listed to pre-order and then I noticed this on the Rapido website. They are looking to retailers to sign up to stock their products.

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/

I think Rails is the only one currently which has a deal. Although I expect more to sign up.

https://railsofsheffield.com/news/articles/3675-rapido-trains-uk-new-models-announced

They normally have the North American items in stock.

https://railsofsheffield.com/manufacturer-rapido-trains-inc--JJJM144

Jason

• Informative/Useful 3

While it may be tempting for many to now go running of to place orders with Rails, the best thing long term for Rapido is to request your usual retailer to sign up and become a dealer and then order from them - the more dealers carrying Rapido product, the more sales, followed by more new products.

(remember, a lot of people don't follow RMweb or other online forums, or even the magazines, so if a dealer doesn't carry Rapido they won't be aware these models exist - and thus can't buy them).

• Agree 3

13 hours ago, mdvle said:

While it may be tempting for many to now go running of to place orders with Rails, the best thing long term for Rapido is to request your usual retailer to sign up and become a dealer and then order from them - the more dealers carrying Rapido product, the more sales, followed by more new products.

(remember, a lot of people don't follow RMweb or other online forums, or even the magazines, so if a dealer doesn't carry Rapido they won't be aware these models exist - and thus can't buy them).

I could not have put it better myself!

We are really keen to work with our local model shops both large and small to supplement the direct sales from our own website.

Please do pass on our website details (we have a retailer sign up form online) to your local supplier. We would love to hear from them!

Andy

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

Does anyone know if Didcot's No.1502 ever visited Oxford?

If it did, it will convince me to order one from Rapido!

Brian

Alas I don't know Brian and never spoke to anybody who could remember it at Didcot.  However it is not beyond the realms of possibility as some unexpected things could happen when engines failed or a Control arranged a freight job at short notice.  The only published photo of it at Didcot which I have seen shows it at the east end of the yard on its own.

PS the 'loudspeaker' mentioned in the caption is in fact a standard GWR STOP board of which there were a number at that end of Didcot yard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_1500_Class#/media/File:Didcot_geograph-2565399-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 01/12/2020 at 18:12, dibber25 said:

I see Richard F's influence here. At Model Rail we looked very closely at the 15XX after the USA 0-6-0T but went for the J70 instead, mainly because the 15XX was too much like the USA. It's a good choice. (CJL)

I was thinking Model Rail looked at this so the model has been on the radar for some for a while. Why do I think either Bachmann will be kicking themselves over this, or going to duplicate the model on the back of the 94xx. 

Despite being someone known for his love of North Eastern stuff, I can see one of these mini-monsters ending up on my layout. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Alas I don't know Brian and never spoke to anybody who could remember it at Didcot.  However it is not beyond the realms of possibility as some unexpected things could happen when engines failed or a Control arranged a freight job at short notice.  The only published photo of it at Didcot which I have seen shows it at the east end of the yard on its own.

PS the 'loudspeaker' mentioned in the caption is in fact a standard GWR STOP board of which there were a number at that end of Didcot yard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_1500_Class#/media/File:Didcot_geograph-2565399-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

Hello Mike

Many thanks for this - I have a feeling that I will have to apply modeller's license and buy one!:)

If anyone from Rapido would like sight of two very clear and up close photos of what I am fairly certain is No.1504 (with early emblem), please PM me. I'm afraid I do not have copyright on the photos so will be unable to post here etc. I am sure the ex-Old Oak Common railwayman owner would be happy for Rapido to use them 'for accuracy checking' though.

The late Ben Brooksbank was a fellow member of the Steam Railway Research Society. I have added below a link to his obituary for anyone who would like to know a little more about him (although 'off topic' for this thread).

Brian

• Like 3

Apologies if the Rapido chaps are already aware but there's a long running thread on the "Model Engineering Clearing House" forum where a forumite is building a very detailed model of a 15xx in 5" gauge. Now the vagaries of Walschaerts valve gear probably aren't that important in 00 but there's lots of discussion around the details too. Probably want to make sure you have an adequate supply of tea and biscuits before settling in for a read though...

https://modeleng.proboards.com/thread/8680/help-speedy-valve-gear-issues

I have a 5" one too (nowhere near the same league as that one) and will definitely be having one of these to keep it company. I just have to decide if I want "my" engine (1500) or a red one, which I think really suits them.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 03/12/2020 at 18:19, gwrrob said:

I was just wondering why none of my usual retailers have the 15xx listed to pre-order and then I noticed this on the Rapido website. They are looking to retailers to sign up to stock their products.

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/

Dan at Derails has asked them to put him on the list of retailers and is awaiting a reply. Can't remember where I got one of my Birmingham buses from but it wasn't Rails who had sold out of that one. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Dan at Derails has asked them to put him on the list of retailers and is awaiting a reply. Can't remember where I got one of my Birmingham buses from but it wasn't Rails who had sold out of that one. 

I'm hoping for rails, tmc, or hattons to be on that list since derails can't do international shippinh rn.

• Friendly/supportive 1