WR ‘15XX’ 0-6-0PT - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium

The CAD video of the 15xx Rapido have shared with us (5 or 6 posts above) is very interesting and informative - well worth seeing.  All credit to Rapido for sharing it with us.

John Storey

12 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Assuming you’re serious: R3830 60501 Cock o' the North  and R3831 60505 Thane of Fife.
On screen 14 of the topic: Hornby A2/2 and A2/3 (2020 Range), Screen 14, there is a photograph of the scoop fitted the wrong way round.

Not serious........sorry!!;) But thanks for the info on the scoop error.

Andy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Does seem to me that it would not be a bad thing if manufacturers made smokebox number plates as separate fittings in plastic or etched.  A template could be provided in the box for opening out holes predrilled in the rear of the smokebox door with a small amount of plastic left at the front that could be broken out by a cocktail stick (wouldn't break the bank to put one of these in the box either, though it might run into trouble with toy H & S) for pins on the number plate to locate into with a dab of glue.

Even BR and LMS locos did not always run with the smokebox plates fitted, especially in the 'death steam' sub-era, and it would make renumbering easier.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Here’s the first look at our ‘OO’ gauge WR ‘15XX’… sort of! 

C8D98A5D-61F9-4227-BF84-823D5D7A7B28.jpeg.81b6bb066f59a6a32f298f2f453db382.jpeg

If you’re wondering why it looks a little angular, that’s because this is not an Engineering Prototype but a 3D printed sample produced from the design files.

The first stage with assessing any model is studying the computer design file. Once you get used to looking at a CAD file, it becomes much easier to spot mistakes or areas that don’t look quite right.

But the problem with looking at a CAD file is that it’s little more than pixels on a screen. It can be very difficult to see how the multicoloured image will look as a physical thing and whilst not perfect s 3D print gives us a representation of how the model will look in the flesh.

2AD9303D-9653-41F5-B001-EF1A62DB5CF9.jpeg.4bffcb3f254d3408d1c83fab13f0ce55.jpeg

We’ll double check that everything looks shipshape and Swindon fashion before we approve the factory to start making the moulds any day now!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

Here’s the first look at our ‘OO’ gauge WR ‘15XX’… sort of! 

C8D98A5D-61F9-4227-BF84-823D5D7A7B28.jpeg.81b6bb066f59a6a32f298f2f453db382.jpeg

If you’re wondering why it looks a little angular, that’s because this is not an Engineering Prototype but a 3D printed sample produced from the design files.

The first stage with assessing any model is studying the computer design file. Once you get used to looking at a CAD file, it becomes much easier to spot mistakes or areas that don’t look quite right.

But the problem with looking at a CAD file is that it’s little more than pixels on a screen. It can be very difficult to see how the multicoloured image will look as a physical thing and whilst not perfect s 3D print gives us a representation of how the model will look in the flesh.

2AD9303D-9653-41F5-B001-EF1A62DB5CF9.jpeg.4bffcb3f254d3408d1c83fab13f0ce55.jpeg

We’ll double check that everything looks shipshape and Swindon fashion before we approve the factory to start making the moulds any day now!

Great…….nearly finished then? :senile:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/03/2021 at 15:07, The Johnster said:

Does seem to me that it would not be a bad thing if manufacturers made smokebox number plates as separate fittings in plastic or etched.  A template could be provided in the box for opening out holes predrilled in the rear of the smokebox door with a small amount of plastic left at the front that could be broken out by a cocktail stick (wouldn't break the bank to put one of these in the box either, though it might run into trouble with toy H & S) for pins on the number plate to locate into with a dab of glue.

Even BR and LMS locos did not always run with the smokebox plates fitted, especially in the 'death steam' sub-era, and it would make renumbering easier.

Some manufacturers do/have.  Dave Jones incorporated it in the Hattons 14XX after I suggested it to him as a good idea if it could be done.  Also, again at my suggestion, it is done that way on the Accurascale 'Manor'.  

I was doing it on titivated up Hornby panniers getting on for 50 years ago using thin diameter florists' wire to make the brackets which were super-glued unto the smokebox door and then the numberplate was super-glued to the two brackets.  Quite a simple thing to do on a moulded plastic smokebox door although that method probably wouldn't suit mass production. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Without doubt these are the least favourite pannier of mine, but that is fabulous. The chimney is spot on. I like the worn tyres!

A little too worn for my liking - its on my list...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

What a coincidence - I ordered mine (from my 'local' model shop) about an hour before Andy posted the photos of the EP.  The overall appearance looks excellent and the chimney is a lyuuverly job but the thin tyres look a good bit too thin to me.

Bit of a Rapido day as I collected 4 wagons, and place pre-orders for a 15XX and a couple of o AA20 brakevans.  

BTW if anyone is still looking for Gunpowder Vans Alton Model Centre has examples of every version in stock 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

The chimney is spot on

That was one of the first things I noticed, one of the best looking RTR chimneys I've seen in a long while. No dodgy tapers, no horrible rounded off joints between sections, very nice indeed. Not a model for me as totally outside of my modelling era, but I can still appreciate the work in it.

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, 57xx said:

totally outside of my modelling era, but I can still appreciate the work in it.

A bit like me ordering the NCB maroon version and modelling in South Devon.😎 Too nice not to have.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Without doubt these are the least favourite pannier of mine, but that is fabulous. The chimney is spot on. I like the worn tyres!

High praise from you indeed Miss P. (love and trust your comments and opinions)  .............pity it's not  Midland Spinner😁😁!!

Mike

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Looks lovely. Looking like my first Rapido loco purchase :)

A pedigree already well established by the ModelRail 16XX Pannier .A model that’s had a bit of panning due to the unfortunate join in its bunker…..but ,ignoring that if you can,it’s a beautiful,chunky piece of kit which outperforms most ,if not all, tank locos I have. …..in fact the only one that even comes close is Bachmann’s 94XX. This one is shaping up to be another cracker,in its resplendently ugly loveliness,to misquote Dylan Thomas’ opinion of his home town ( Yes in his days Swansea was just that…a town ).

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1