WR ‘15XX’ 0-6-0PT - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

The 15xx will run perfectly continuously, the problems may only happen when a derailment or other situation occurs when  current flows between one axle and another axle, a occurrence more common and dramatic with DCC than DC.

• Informative/Useful 1

It should be possible to design the plunger pickups so that current goes from the wheel to the plunger part and then directly onto the sleeve without going through the springs. (From memory Rapido use a split chassis). 

My guess is that dirt/oil block contact between the plunger part and sleeve leaving just the spring which is not only thin but acts like an inductor (worse on AC). 

In chassis I have made that used plunger pickups, the sliding cylinder isolated the pick up from the chassis, but a thing rod would go through the entire spring to be attached to a wire.

By placing an Amp meter good for 10 amps across the rails with a DC controller on full or across the rails (ac) on DCC it is amazing to see the amps available to do damage to rollingstock,  Watts = Voltage x Amps.

3 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

It's a solid chassis on the 15xx, not split.

We're looking in to the issue, will update when we have some results.

Given the currents that are being talked about with DCC, I would have thought that a direct electrical connection between plunger and lead - ie. bypassing the spring - would be essential.

Better still, for future models, avoid plunger pickups altogether.

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1

On 04/03/2024 at 19:57, BRIAN T said:

very pleased,now fitted the body crew ,re glued springs,just need to freshen the weathering a bit.

A83A3E12-E912-4AB0-AC87-87A393DC9C84.jpeg

Yes, with such an open cab, the crew should certainly look weather-beaten! 😁

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Given the currents that are being talked about with DCC, I would have thought that a direct electrical connection between plunger and lead - ie. bypassing the spring - would be essential.

CJI.

That is standard practice in analogue applications such as brushes for automotive alternators or high power electric tools. The currents involved may be higher, but the principle is similar.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Decided not to repair the spring plungers myself as it's a bit of a faff. Sent back my 3 month old 15xx  for repair. Rapido Customer service was good, completed a simple warranty form and returned with prepaid label. Wait to see what happens. 

sent mine back too, but failed again in 25 minutes, so offered to fix it myself, all good now. just be super careful not to have derailments or short circuit situations especially on DCC. maybe one day there will be a new robust pick up arrangement available to drop in.

23 hours ago, stevemmm said:

sent mine back too, but failed again in 25 minutes, so offered to fix it myself, all good now. just be super careful not to have derailments or short circuit situations especially on DCC. maybe one day there will be a new robust pick up arrangement available to drop in.

A more robust drop-in pick-up arrangement would be an excellent thing. Meantime, perhaps devise one for future projects.