Metro-Vick Type 2 Co-Bo - N Gauge

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Les1952 said:

One interesting statistic.

At the N Gauge show at York there were more Co-Bos running on layouts than BR had Co-Bos.   

There were three on James street, and four other pairs running on other layouts.  There might also have been others hiding in fiddle yards.

Les 

BR had 20 Co-Bos; your figures add up to (at most, if the James Street ones were all pairs) to 14…

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just seen an utterly bizarre post on Faceache where some nutter has decided to burn his Co-Bo and has duly shown a photo of the heavily melted wreckage to prove it.

Loony...🤪

• Funny 3

50 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Just seen an utterly bizarre post on Faceache where some nutter has decided to burn his Co-Bo and has duly shown a photo of the heavily melted wreckage to prove it.

Loony...🤪

Is this some new Sam’s train style polling “keeper or burner”?

🤣

• 3 weeks later...

@rapidoandy @RapidoCorbs

Got a Co-Bo, had it a few months.  It was running earlier this evening with no apparent issues but just come to alter it's address finally from 3 and as soon as I placed it on the track there was a whining noise from the loco.

Chip out and blanking plug in, the loco is fine so it appears the chip has gone awry, I've read there is an issue with some of the chips doing this?  What can I do, I got the loco from TMC.

Edit: TMC sent me a link for Rapido Warranty claims - at Midnight - how good is that for service.

Edited by woodenhead

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, woodenhead said:

@rapidoandy @RapidoCorbs

Got a Co-Bo, had it a few months.  It was running earlier this evening with no apparent issues but just come to alter it's address finally from 3 and as soon as I placed it on the track there was a whining noise from the loco.

Chip out and blanking plug in, the loco is fine so it appears the chip has gone awry, I've read there is an issue with some of the chips doing this?  What can I do, I got the loco from TMC.

Edit: TMC sent me a link for Rapido Warranty claims - at Midnight - how good is that for service.

Ah I've just seen TMC got back to you - I was going to say the same thing, best to use our warranty here:

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/warranty-form/

Edited by RapidoCorbs
  • Thanks 1

Definite quality control issues.

There is no doubt the Class 28 locomotive from Rapido was had a number of issues since the release, and Rapido have to their credit worked seamlessly to provide a resolution . What is apparent, no attempt appears to have been made with the dealers to recall any models unsold and carry out the modifications. After dealt with several dealers during the purchase of six models to obtain a model which which run satisfactorily. A recent purchase of D5713 has shown a consistent issue failure of the decoders, at 1 sec the sound cuts and decoder is red hot to the extent the heat is transferred the body of the model. The example below shows the lack of contact with the pickups. As a n gauge modeller my tolerance to poor quality control is at the point is no longer acceptable, purchasing new models and had having to back load to dealers requesting and replacement or a refund , the continual additional postage charges of back loading and waiting for a replacement or to be fobbed off with a repair, reputations are being damaged, and whilst an organisation like Rapido have worked tirelessly to provide resolutions, could suppliers not filter out the dubs before processing to customers?  I would like to state those models of the Class 28 I have bought without sound and fitted a sound decoder from third parties have run faultless after adjusting the pickups , which always seems to be over the 6 wheel bogie, only once have I had to adjust one pick up over the 4 wheel bogie in which the contact was more about alignment.

IMG_0552.jpeg.a2e881a80f13a17dd7c9bfcb19158345.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, 4firstimes said:

Definite quality control issues.

There is no doubt the Class 28 locomotive from Rapido was had a number of issues since the release, and Rapido have to their credit worked seamlessly to provide a resolution . What is apparent, no attempt appears to have been made with the dealers to recall any models unsold and carry out the modifications. After dealt with several dealers during the purchase of six models to obtain a model which which run satisfactorily. A recent purchase of D5713 has shown a consistent issue failure of the decoders, at 1 sec the sound cuts and decoder is red hot to the extent the heat is transferred the body of the model. The example below shows the lack of contact with the pickups. As a n gauge modeller my tolerance to poor quality control is at the point is no longer acceptable, purchasing new models and had having to back load to dealers requesting and replacement or a refund , the continual additional postage charges of back loading and waiting for a replacement or to be fobbed off with a repair, reputations are being damaged, and whilst an organisation like Rapido have worked tirelessly to provide resolutions, could suppliers not filter out the dubs before processing to customers?  I would like to state those models of the Class 28 I have bought without sound and fitted a sound decoder from third parties have run faultless after adjusting the pickups , which always seems to be over the 6 wheel bogie, only once have I had to adjust one pick up over the 4 wheel bogie in which the contact was more about alignment.

IMG_0552.jpeg.a2e881a80f13a17dd7c9bfcb19158345.jpeg

Sorry that you are still experiencing issues. Have the models always gone back to the dealer or have you done a warranty request direct to us?

If the former, we do cover warranty even for models not bought directly, so it is worth doing:

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/warranty-form/

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

@RapidoCorbs @RapidoDanT

Got my class 28 back with it's new chip, thanks very much.

Question, does the class 28 have red marker lights?  The loco has all it's forward facing LEDs working and change with the direction of travel but no red lights coming on.  It's the same on DC and DCC.

Hi

To get the tail lights on mine I have to press f1 but I am using a self fitted decoder non sound. From memory when originally setup mine had one end on f1 and the other on f2 but I changed it to both on f1 controlled by the direction of travel. Forward lights are on f0.

Cheers

Paul

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The model does indeed have red markers. Should work normally on DC (with blanking plug) unless you use the wand to turn them off (but they turn back on whenever power is lost and reapplied).

F5 is supposed to control them on the factory sound models.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all, F5 did the trick.

When I sent the loco back I put the user guide, bits bag and a tank that had come off away for safe keeping and have subsequently lost them during a tidy up in the room.  I have them somewhere, just not where I thought they were.

But F5 has indeed brought back the tail lights.

• RMweb Premium

Use of the built in tail lamps varied. In green and early blue periods, you'd be more likely to see a standard tail lamp on a loco with no train.

Sadly no one has a F number to get the little people to fit and remove one yet...

• Agree 2