Gunpowder Vans - 00 Gauge - Back with a bang!

rapidoandy

20 hours ago, adb968008 said:

This one is from Derails..

8F8AFA62-8CF2-4A6C-BE2D-5BD1B61B9461.jpeg

Looks the same as the previous page’s image ?

is it a stock Rapido image or a Derails image ?

That would be Derails, not Rapido - I note at least one other retailer has the Gunpowder van listed at £28 and indication that it is a 15% discount.

If it was a Rapido flyer, it wouldn't need to credit the images to itself.

The 2 photos of the samples were in the Rapido newsletter I mentioned earlier.

Edited by mdvle
delete something that forum sw added and I didn't

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, mdvle said:

That would be Derails, not Rapido - I note at least one other retailer has the Gunpowder van listed at £28 and indication that it is a 15% discount.

3E2F2886-BEE6-4717-9C32-F3BCBEEC6ADC.jpeg

In that case its @57xx who needs to modify their post.

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, adb968008 said:

In that case its @57xx who needs to modify their post.

Modify what? I asked a question about price, which has now been answered.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, mdvle said:

3E2F2886-BEE6-4717-9C32-F3BCBEEC6ADC.jpeg

Agreed but I can't see your images.

• 3 weeks later...

The order book for our GPV vans closes next Wednesday!

A few changes are being made after we received the latest samples, including toning down the rivets on the roof, moving the NEM couplings further back and some tweaks to the position of the brake handle.

Don’t miss out ordering yours.

CBB1FE17-8E12-4412-BAB8-FCF84D558E9F.jpeg.39d49fbb876e4a52b90922e3d775ef6a.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I may have missed something in this thread ?.

Why are some of  the Vans shown in the photos fitted with a Vacumn Cylinder but "normal" Brakes e.g Single Brake shoes on each wheel and Brake Levers?.

All the fitted Vans/Wagons I have ever seen have dual/two fitted brakes on each wheel. There are no obvious fittings to the Brake Shoes on the sample models or through piping for the Vacumn pipes shown in some of the examples on the Rapido site.

Edit

I have just looked at the Paul Bartlett site , some BR era Gunpowder Vans thereon have the end pipes fitted and the Vacumn Cylinder. Through piped perhaps ?

Why would the Van need a Vacumn Cylinder for that Brake layout ?.

Edited by micklner

42 minutes ago, micklner said:

I have never seen a Vacumn fitted Gunpower van.

In BR days, most that were not cascaded to the engineers  (Sawdust and wood shavings carriers) went through the vacuum fitting programme. Shallow and deep vac cylinders were fitted but for one of those unfathomable reasons some retained their 18" buffers, whilst others were fitted with 20" Oleos or Dowty's. Some definitely escaped the vac fitting as I've seen pics of unfitted GPV's well into the 1970's.

Not many unfitted on Mr Barletts site.

W105777 is a good example of A GWR diagram V4 retro fitted with deep vac cyl. whilst retaining its 18" spindle buffers.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrgunpowdercxv/h133c35de#h133c35de

I wonder if Rapido has tooled up a chassis with four V hangers for the earlier unfitted GPV's? Their cads certainly show early type RCH open W irons.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
Forgot the link
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

A few changes are being made after we received the latest samples, including toning down the rivets on the roof,

Countersunk then stoppered coach bolts me thinks. Barely visible on some new builds till moisture started to ingress and expand and lift the putty.

NYMRStmG27-4-14--123-Edit.jpg.d07113b7befa9eade15e1ba39dc5c327.jpg

While I'm here: will Rapido be offering the alternate wrap under side stanchions as in these Mr Bartlett photographs?

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brgunpowder

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

There's a prototype for everything.....

You would think that modelling Chesterfield in the late 70's would mean there'd be little interest in gunpowder wagons, but I distinctly remember seeing this image (note the third vehicle!). I wonder where it was coming from / going to...

20196_1977_07_Chesterfield

Guess I better order a TOPS coded one!

Regards,

Cameron

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mophead45143 said:

You would think that modelling Chesterfield in the late 70's would mean there'd be little interest in gunpowder wagons, but I distinctly remember seeing this image (note the third vehicle!). I wonder where it was coming from / going to...

Regards,

Cameron

Toton in 1978 there were two of them to photograph, including one of the early ones with Morton VB as the new model. 

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brgunpowder/e2293db43

I can remember one of the LMS 2xxxxx series when passing Cricklewood in about 1980. Gunpowder vans weren't common and did have some places where they were more easily found, but they did tend to disperse remarkably widely. 

Paul

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mophead45143 said:

You would think that modelling Chesterfield in the late 70's would mean there'd be little interest in gunpowder wagons,....................

Blasting is still going on at the quarries around the Peak District.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2021 at 17:52, Mophead45143 said:

20196_1977_07_Chesterfield

Regards,

Cameron

Remember this was still the days of vacuum braked wagonload trains, and class 20s operated some of those services.  At Bescot we certainly had an overnight vaccy service to and from Tinsley.  Possibly 8E39 coming back 8M79.  Prior to the Barmouth bridge closure there almost certainly be traffic for 7J23 to Penrhyndeudraeth, returning loaded on 7G19.

Have we mentoned Ernesettle yet as that has just popped into my head ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Covkid said:

Remember this was still the days of vacuum braked wagonload trains, and class 20s operated some of those services.  At Bescot we certainly had an overnight vaccy service to and from Tinsley.  Possibly 8E39 coming back 8M79.  Prior to the Barmouth bridge closure there almost certainly be traffic for 7J23 to Penrhyndeudraeth, returning loaded on 7G19.

Have we mentoned Ernesettle yet as that has just popped into my head ?

Ernesettle is an RN armaments depot and was never a filling depot as far as I'm aware so it would not receive GPVS but would receive 'finished' (rtf ;) ) military weaponry loaded to ordinary vehicles.

• Like 1

Perhaps a question for @rope runner how did the likes of S&L or Oxford Ironstone receive their explosives for the quarries? I imagine they they would have required bulk at some point - was there a magazine near the main headquarters? Rail in, and then out by motor truck to the quarries or then on by internal user wagon? 

any photo evidence? 

• Like 1

In such small quantities that it would have come in by road. Certainly no evidence of dedicated rolling stock etc. The high explosive would have been kept securely with all the precautions you'd expect, but the low explosive (much more of this, quantity-wise) probably just in designated boxes in the workman's road vehicles. 

The idea in opencast ironstone quarries was for the charge to shatter the rock face just enough for an excavator to pick up the material. The explosive was drilled and stemmed in from above.  Smaller charges were used to break up particularly large lumps. 

Paul A. 

• Like 2

Some quarries certainly used to receive explosives by rail, as seen in this image of a railtour at Bogside (Fife) in 1980:

Bogside (Fife)

See also https://www.railscot.co.uk/locations/B/Bogside_Fife/ showing there were two vans in the siding and stating they were for a nearby quarry.  This was the old station and the vans were in the last remnant of the goods yard, as opposed to Bogside Colliery (down a spur to the right beyond the bridge). 

Edited by 64F
correction
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 19/10/2021 at 12:20, Down_Under said:

Perhaps a question for @rope runner how did the likes of S&L or Oxford Ironstone receive their explosives for the quarries? I imagine they they would have required bulk at some point - was there a magazine near the main headquarters? Rail in, and then out by motor truck to the quarries or then on by internal user wagon? 

any photo evidence? 

Mines and quarries were (are) only permitted to hold fairly limited quantities of high explosive.  Explosives arriving by rail would be taken - usually by road in modern times - to separate magazines wherea larger quantity could be stored and from where it would be distributed to the using quarries etc.  A single quarry on its own would hardly justify a wagon load of commercial explosives and in fact under the 1875 Act was limited to holding 'only such quantity of explosive as required for immediate use' - and would therefore draw supplies from a magazine in the area as and when they were required for use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How did collieries receive their explosives?  The explosives works at Penrhyndeudraeth continued to dispatch GPVs for the NCB into the 1980s so presumably these were being delivered direct to the collieries, or perhaps to central magazines in the mining areas?

(Edit - sorry, already kind of answered in The Stationmaster's post above)

Edited by 64F
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, 64F said:

How did collieries receive their explosives?  The explosives works at Penrhyndeudraeth continued to dispatch GPVs for the NCB into the 1980s so presumably these were being delivered direct to the collieries, or perhaps to central magazines in the mining areas?

(Edit - sorry, already kind of answered in The Stationmaster's post above)

In the 1980s, they were delivered to central magazines, operated by ICI, in air-braked vans; on the Callerton workings, they would arrive on a Speedlink trip at Tyneside Central Freight Depot. They'd pick up a couple of empty wagons (often air-braked coal wagons) as barriers, attach any traffic for Heaton and Fawdon, and head out through Newcastle Central. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 22/10/2021 at 09:05, Fat Controller said:

In the 1980s, they were delivered to central magazines, operated by ICI, in air-braked vans; on the Callerton workings, they would arrive on a Speedlink trip at Tyneside Central Freight Depot. They'd pick up a couple of empty wagons (often air-braked coal wagons) as barriers, attach any traffic for Heaton and Fawdon, and head out through Newcastle Central. 

Something to make your night out on the Toon go with a bang!