Timeout error 524

Am I alone in still getting this?  it's been chronic on the site for several months, but I haven't raised it partly because there were upgrades going on and partly because it happens so often I thought it must be a common issue.

I'd say my connection times out and returns this error two out of three?  I'm on Windows 10, patched right up to date, Firefox and PlusNet if that makes a difference; anything else I can tell you?

• RMweb Gold

In case it helps narrow it down.  I'm using the same set up as you Jonathan except for BT instead of PlusNet.  No problems at all.

I think a timeout error 524 is at the server end but it can't do any harm to rule out any potential causes at your end.  As ever, it is a case of narrowing down.  Here are some thoughts (apologies if I'm just telling you the obvious).  I'm sure a few of the more technically knowledgeable will be able to help further.  (If you think they haven't noticed your post then add a request to the Windows10 thread.)

Ask PlusNet to test the line speed to demonstrate you're getting what you expect.

Reboot the router.

Clear your cookies.

Physically connect your computer to the router with a cable to rule out any wireless transmission problems.

Make sure someone else in the house isn't playing an online game.

I think I can deal with most of those off the top of my head:

Line speed: we've just last week gone onto fast broadband, so we're at ~ 65MBps where we were around 13 before.   That has not made a difference.

A new router was supplied as part of the package (and it's rebooted daily); again, that has not made a difference.

Cookies are cleared regularly but I'll give that another go.

My own computer is cabled to the router and my work laptop is wireless; the same error occurs on both (the screenshot is from the laptop)

I have no doubt that online games are going on as, less frequently, are streamed lectures.  However I see this error at 5 am, when I can be confident that both teenage children are insensible.

• RMweb Premium

I had gone a couple of months without that display but it came up several times in the last ten days or so.  Nothing like as bad as your problem though.  

W 10 fully updated

and 

Edge

Orange.fr  and nothing special on line speed.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Am I alone in still getting this? 

Not alone as I have a chap via Facebook with repeated problems that we cannot get to the bottom of I'm afraid. However I'm not getting many instances raised.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Am I alone in still getting this?  it's been chronic on the site for several months, but I haven't raised it partly because there were upgrades going on and partly because it happens so often I thought it must be a common issue.

I'd say my connection times out and returns this error two out of three?  I'm on Windows 10, patched right up to date, Firefox and PlusNet if that makes a difference; anything else I can tell you?

I quite often get that with a custom stream of topics I have posted in but not read, if not error then very slow.

Edited by dhjgreen

I think that may be it.... my habitual landing page was VNC - unread topics I have posted in.   I've changed that to the forum home page and now I connect almost straight away - then get the error when I click the VNC link.  I take the 'Mark Forum read' option every month or so; is there something else I ought to be doing?

No idea if this helps at all, but after a few days with no problems, this started again Saturday evening and has persisted through Sunday and today making it very difficult to use the site.

It does seem linked to VNC, as I can open and reply to PMs or directly linked posts with no problem.

• RMweb Gold

I get it frequently, but only when accessing “Content I follow”.

Suggests to me, from the dim and distant past when I worked in the database industry, that the indexing isn’t up to much. More RAM, mother...

I have the same issue and I think it is linked to the "Content I Follow" view option. Site navigation is fine until I hit that button, then it fails, probably 9 times out of 10. As this is my chosen way to navigate the site its very inconvenient. Perhaps the database of linked (aka followed) threads isn't working right.

Can it be looked at please?

Image1.jpg.716279dd773f9848bc321e44f3bf6559.jpg

Image2.jpg.81c11360ecd04564c98483393711d963.jpg

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
22 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

Any news on this?

No (especially when I'm not in work), set yourself a new stream up with the relevant filter settings and test that.

49 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

No (especially when I'm not in work), set yourself a new stream up with the relevant filter settings and test that.

I originally raised this a year ago. Then asked 3 weeks ago. Have you been at work solidly for all of 2020 and unable to do any work on the site? Why mention that you are at work? Are you suggesting that requests for assistance from site members to the mods are an inconvenience to you? How long should I wait? 6 weeks? 6 months? A year? Oh wait, I already did.

Please respond in a respectful manner next time.

Please investigate the issue I and others have raised. This was discussed over a year ago if you care to go back. There is a problem in the site code related to this search function. Perhaps you could hand the problem over to someone techy to look into it? Someone who isn't a bit too busy possibly.

Thank you.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

I originally raised this a year ago. Then asked 3 weeks ago. Have you been at work solidly for all of 2020 and unable to do any work on the site? Why mention that you are at work? Are you suggesting that requests for assistance from site members to the mods are an inconvenience to you? How long should I wait? 6 weeks? 6 months? A year? Oh wait, I already did.

Please respond in a respectful manner next time.

Please investigate the issue I and others have raised. This was discussed over a year ago if you care to go back. There is a problem in the site code related to this search function. Perhaps you could hand the problem over to someone techy to look into it? Someone who isn't a bit too busy possibly.

I wouldn't bother giving you a detailed explanation of where my time has been expended and the priorities faced at any given point - from the tone of your reply it's evident you are only interested in you.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Please investigate the issue I and others have raised.

It took me 30 secs to do what I suggested below.

5 hours ago, AY Mod said:

set yourself a new stream up with the relevant filter settings and test that.

And created this for you in your profile https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/discover/2062/ - it performs without any issues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 29/12/2020 at 13:27, woodenhead said:

Have you tried from the Activity Menu: My Activity Streams >> Content I Follow

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/discover/followed-content/

Interesting: that works instantly, but if I edit it to show unread content only, it returns to problems with timing out.

It also shows me each post within a thread, rather than showing that there is unread material in a thread, and taking me to the first unread post.