Timeout error 524

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely dire this morning with this error, cannot get on the site using the 'Content I posted in' option so having to manually search for threads. Tried three different browsers, all return exactly the same issue.

Internet speed isn't an issue, 200mbps in both directions.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Absolutely dire this morning with this error, cannot get on the site using the 'Content I posted in' option so having to manually search for threads. Tried three different browsers, all return exactly the same issue.

There's obviously an issue with your stream - I have created a new one for you https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/discover/2070/ and set it as your default.

I have to concur with Richard, though; after a couple of weeks without seeing this error, I've had it more on than off all day, on 3 different machines at two locations.

I generally go to VNC once I'm in the site; is there a better way to do that than 'Unread Content' in 'Content I've posted in'?

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

is there a better way to do that than 'Unread Content' in 'Content I've posted in'?

Does this link give you what you need?

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/discover/1323/

If not, try tweaking the filters to suit and save it as one of your own streams.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Andy's link above largely sorted this, but it's been as bad as ever since the weekend.   I appreciate there's work going on and that may be connected, but it's taken me half a dozen attempts to get to that screen this morning.

It must be to do with searching and unread content as individual threads come up almost instantly.   Is it still recommended practice to mark the whole forum read every so often?

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, cliff park said:

But error code 524 specifically says error at the server end.

The error isn't actually with the server as such but with a fault in the feed.

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

That link's almost instant.   I amended it to 'Content I have posted in' and that seems to be where it slows down.

Not sure why it's the case but it was very slow. You should find a new stream in your list "Content I have posted in - AY" - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/discover/2082/ - give that a test please.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, cliff park said:

My problem is the same but with 'Unread content' .

I have created a new feed in your Activities - "Unread content - AY" - all seems to work as it should now.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, cliff park said:

Sorry to be a pain, but it's the 'unread content' links at top and bottom right of page that takes me to my followed pages, and they still don't work.

Use the link I've set up then and save it as your default.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
6 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

Andy, while your suggested fix worked for a few instances, the problem is still here. I still think its an issue with the code in that particular search function, or user's defined search criteria.

The url tells me that's not the link I'd suggested (it's an old one you may have created and saved) - please refer to the link given in this post - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/160192-timeout-error-524/&do=findComment&comment=4270457

The link you gave me works very well, Andy, but it's not what I had set up previously and I think that gives a clue to what's over straining the software.   Yours brings up 'Content I posted in', which I had but combined with 'Content I have not read'.   It's when I add that second criterion that I get the error, although it's been uncommon recently.

• 4 weeks later...

Problem is still on-going. The link you provided Andy has worked for a while but now is back to its old tricks. I have used the link you gave and merely gone back and forth to the threads I'm following based on that link but timeouts are back again.

Error.jpg.ac0f556f81063495f2f894896751acc8.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I still get this.

I renamed my feed, and for a short while, it worked ok, but I am back to the same error. Your stream works, Andy, but it isn’t what I want to have in my stream.

The problem seems to me, as someone who once worked with large databases, to be with the indexing against new content: it is taking too long, and the connection is failing because no response is coming back from the server. Is there an option for multi-threading the data tables during indexing, or similar, on the server side of things? (Or indeed, maybe it is switched on, and that is causing the problems?

My stream has number 207 in the path, which I presume is the reference number for the stream?

E8A87FE7-6475-4392-92E6-2755E813A499.jpeg.9777124f6203cc2e2352b4a66fdea0bf.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Just an observation that this has started happening again since about Thursday and the site's been next to unusable all weekend.  Using the new stream Andy set up and having marked all the site read, but that didn't help.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Just an observation that this has started happening again since about Thursday and the site's been next to unusable all weekend. 

It's a struggle to diagnose what you have been experiencing. Everything has been fine at this end since last Monday.

• RMweb Gold

I have to say things have run slowly at times this weekend. Since my Internet connection is not robust, I always open a new page and seek Google, to see if it's me or RMweb. Sadly it has been RMweb every time. But I haven't died in a ditch as a result. 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It's a struggle to diagnose what you have been experiencing.

I know these things can be a swine to track down, so I didn't want to go overboard about it, just flag it up.

It may be coincidental or the same issue, but when I saw the notification that you'd quoted me and clicked on that, I had an hourglass for roughly 40 seconds before it displayed.

• Informative/Useful 1