Timeout error 524

• RMweb Gold

Well, over the last few days — especially Friday and Saturday — there were times when RMWeb was unresponsive, but I didn't get a 524 error — the site just stopped responding, often immediately after seemingly working fine. Saturday round about 4pm was worst, but it was fine at 6pm. No issues yesterday or (so far) today. Other web sites elsewhere were fine.

• Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
21 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I know these things can be a swine to track down, so I didn't want to go overboard about it, just flag it up.

It may be coincidental or the same issue, but when I saw the notification that you'd quoted me and clicked on that, I had an hourglass for roughly 40 seconds before it displayed.

I've not passed this by, I've just spent 10 minutes trying to use all manner of your filters trying to get it to break but I've not managed to get it to lock up. I'll keep an eye on it when I get chance to see if I can find an answer.

• RMweb Premium

To add to the confusion, I only get 524s when I try to access "Content I posted in", but then I haven't created any customised Activity Streams, which seems to be where others are having trouble.  "Content I posted in" always worked perfectly up until about a fortnight ago, since then it has only worked once, last Saturday I think ..........  oh hang on ..........

I just tried (in another window) getting it via the drop-down on "My Activity Streams" (not tried that before) and it worked.  And kept working when accessed via the link top right on a couple of other pages.  Then I tried to access it via an Edge bookmark (my usual way in previously) and got a 524 - and now get 524s every time again, including via "My Activity Streams" .........

I'm so glad I'm not the person reading this and trying to make sense of what's going on.  Sorry Andy!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy, but no joy.  The link you gave me is the same as the one I've been using all the time, both as a bookmark and as provided on the pages within the site.

I can live without it ....

Cheers, Chris

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I still experience this from time to time. There has to be an issue in the site code. Andy - you supply me with a URL to use and its fine for a while but I just browse around the site going back and forth just being a site user and after a week or three, the delays are back.

• 2 weeks later...

The time out situation for the Content I Follow page is now a real pain, times out many more times than it actually connects.

I have saved another content list but that is no better either.

Going to pages via email notifications works instantly as do saved bookmarks in my browser to individual pages.

Any suggestions of what to do next?

I had about a week of it last week, as you say making it all but unusable.   In the end I marked the whole forum read and that seemed to resolve it.   The thing is, I'd only done that about a fortnight earlier.   Up until recently it was probably a twice a year thing, now it seems to be needed more frequently.

34 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

I had about a week of it last week, as you say making it all but unusable.   In the end I marked the whole forum read and that seemed to resolve it.   The thing is, I'd only done that about a fortnight earlier.   Up until recently it was probably a twice a year thing, now it seems to be needed more frequently.

Thank you Jonathan.  I tried that just now, rebooted the pc, clear out the cache files in the browser and it has taken five attempts this time before it connected without timing out.

I have noticed that when a connection is eventually made it is only seconds away from being timed out.  It is never an instant or relatively quick connection.

I have seen the notification at the top of the screen but not had any problems at all in recent weeks. I mostly use an iPhone or iPad so could the problems others are experiencing be browser related ?

2 hours ago, Hibelroad said:

I have seen the notification at the top of the screen but not had any problems at all in recent weeks. I mostly use an iPhone or iPad so could the problems others are experiencing be browser related ?

It is a desktop pc that I am having problems with, it is a quad core, intel i7, 16GB ram, 4GB graphics card.  Windows 10 (up to date), browsers used are Firefox, Chrome, Edge and Brave, all browsers have the same problem with the timeout.

I fired up a very old laptop running Linux and Firefox, it is slow loading but has not timed out, yet.

I have tried Jonathans suggestion a few times of marking site read but that has made no difference whatsoever.

Once, on the few occasions I do manage to get the Content I Follow page up refreshing the page after reading a few followed articles still times out.

Really frustrated with this.

45 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

My iPhone has always timed out on RMweb - I'd always put it down to my own wifi.   I use a desktop which is wired to the router, both at home and work.

Grrrrrrrrrrr:angry::angry::angry:

It is timing out on the laptop now!!!!!!

All computers in this house are wired connections, 108Mbps download speed.

If you are getting the same problem on different devices in different locations then I can only assume it is something to do with our personal membership.

Maybe I need to create being a new member and start over again, a bit drastic and something I really don't want to do, but I need to try something.