Revolution drax Biomass Wagons - N Gauge

TomE

• RMweb Gold
On 03/12/2020 at 12:37, Steven B said:

Over the years they've been hauled by class 60, 66 and 70s from EWS/DBS, GBRF & Colas.

I can't find any DRS or Frieghtliner hauled trains.

I wonder if Farish will be sorting out the livery diagrams for 60066 which carries Drax livery following this announcement.

Steven B.

Don't think we've ever had 70s from Colas on biomass trains.  

DB Cargo have the contract to work out of Hull and Immingham (although Hull is very rare these days).  GBRf operate from Liverpool (mainly 66/7s but occasionally 60s) and Tyne Dock.  The Tyne flow, generally uses their own wagons, not Drax Power, but the Drax ones do appear occasionally, as do the purpose built GBRf ones for North Blyth.

DB rebranded 60066 into Drax Power colours for an event at Hull when it took eight (I think) wagons from Milford to Hull and back, but that has been the only time the loco has ever worked with the Drax Power wagons!  Why they didn't brand a 66 instead still remains a mystery.  So even if 60066 is released it wouldn't really be prototypical to use with the wagons.

Rich

• Like 1

I remember at the time reading in one of the railway magazines that 60066 was chosen for the launch as the 60 has flat bodywork which worked better the vinyls.

Don't the empties run at 75mph usually? That would explain why DB prefer to use 66's on their biomass workings, though I'm aware GBRf now mostly use 60's on theirs so maybe I'm wrong about the 75mph running.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, ash39 said:

Don't the empties run at 75mph usually? That would explain why DB prefer to use 66's on their biomass workings, though I'm aware GBRf now mostly use 60's on theirs so maybe I'm wrong about the 75mph running.

All the Working Timetable scheduled empties between Drax and Liverpool Biomass Terminal are run as class 6 so 60mph max. 

Dunno!

According to their website 221A/B are both Domes/Tunnel. The new packs, 231A/B, are both Dam/Turbine.

If you go to the link from their homepage it says

"As the Renewable Pioneer variants feature various images on the wagon sides, we have decided to add an additional two packs to the previous line up."

I thought it was worth pointing out that there are now 8 twin packs available as opposed to 6, especially for people who have placed a pre-order and may not check the website for a while.

Regards,

John P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps I'm wrong and they'd already added the additional ones, there was definitely both variants when I looked. I'm tempted by a pair of the dam/turbine as the turbine image is the one I've never found to do my own decals on mine, and nice to see what they're like!

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I’d add a couple from a site that might not be commonly seen.  This is the Biomass loading site at Gladstone Dock, Liverpool.  The ships arrive on one side and are discharged into the silos and the trains run through and are loaded.  As has been said earlier it is usually 60’s and 66’s that supply the motive power and the wagons are a good mixed of livery.

90102164-DBEA-4113-8031-E311A86134BB.jpeg

FCC10163-D4F9-4082-ADB8-255E9B954959.jpeg

Edited by shed64a
Spelling
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ben A said:

Hi John,

Hornby have produced them in 00; I would be surprised if they don't consider another run in future.  I can't see it being one for Revolution though.

cheers

Ben A.

Thank you Ben

That is a shame !

Regards

John

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Revolution Trains have received EP1 Samples for the Drax Hoppers.

Images from the Revolution Trains Website (https://www.revolutiontrains.com/drax-tacular-biomass-hopper-samples-arrive/).

image.png.63c157d8a9e1667afcd7275220dbb056.png

The EP1 samples are to check the fit of parts and that the basic dimensions are correct. The prototypes are 17640mm over headstocks, which is 119mm in 1:148 scale.

image.png.94f234e90342395672af6a15721ef79d.png

Bogie brakewheel is missing on this side. It will be present on production models.

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

On 29/01/2021 at 10:31, JohnC said:

Thank you Ben

That is a shame !

Regards

John

They are very nice wagons but very expensive.  I suspect they may have been a special commission for the owners of Drax Power Station and another run might depend on what they have to say.  I bought two (one of each kind) to commemorate my small assistance in commissioning Drax in the 1970s (nearly killed me when someone broke off the Permit to Work switchgear isolation padlocks that were supposed to be isolating the equipment I was working on).  I'll but some more if they become available.

Peterfgf

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Decoration samples were on show at TINGS. There were some adjustments to be made before production started and the Revolution Trains website indicates they are still waiting for the full livery samples to arrive. 

revolution-iia-1.jpg.a97320fef0f0658d1383bdff58b65503.jpg

Tom. 

Edited by TomE

• 6 months later...