If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Hello!

SamC

Hi All!

My name is Sam, from Hertfordshire, UK.

Some of you may or may not remember my Father, @edcayton. Sadly, he passed away in 2017. We're now working through his mountain of model trains and magazines. Trains are fairly easy to price and a few model railway shops are working through them.

I have a (almost literal) mountain of magazines and books to do with model railways, including Railway Modeller magazines going back to the 1970's!

I just wondered if;

A: Are these worth anything? Worth selling?

B: If not,  would anyone would be interested in any of these items? Either collecting or me sending to you for the price of posting?

C: Where is the best/most appropriate part of the site to do this?

I would stress I'm not too bothered about money, but these trains, magazines and books are taking up so much space in garages, my attic and study and I just want them gone!
If they can go to someone who actually would benefit and get something out of them that is a massive bonus!

Thanks in advance

Sam

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Hello Sam.

Yes I remember Ed, bit of a shock losing him and can't believe it was 2017!

From my experience the magazines aren't worth anything as the weight and awkwardness of sending make it difficult. I have given stuff away on here if people pay the postage and that works ok. There is a 'Free to a good home' section in the forum

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/321-free-to-a-good-home/   quite a few rounded the postage up and I put the extra into our local Need project (Food Parcels) 

The books are a difficult one to answer, there are some which are sought after but they are few and far between.  An idea is to put them in batches of 5 or 10  (for eg) and take a picture and put them in a post and ask if members could advise you of whether they are worth anything.

To sell in the classifieds here you have to be a gold member which probably isn't worth you doing,  you could check with @AY Mod as to what are you are able to do within threads without breaking the rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, chris p bacon said:

The books are a difficult one to answer, there are some which are sought after but they are few and far between.

Have you asked the model shops who may be buying stock from you if they can help with the books?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

A second hand book source I use is linked with charity shops - supplying them and taking/buying  excess stock from them. I think that they may also collect from private individuals. I have bought quite a number of railway books from them, usually at very good prices. https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb?keyword=world of books uk&gclid=Cj0KCQiAk53-BRD0ARIsAJuNhptZhYkIEIs6ryy6UKxW89K2BRwMEn2iSdO-sjLNIpPpc42tiniTWBkaAl5_EALw_wcB