Locomotionmodels celebrate 60 years of the Class 37 with an exclusive model from Accurascale

AY Mod

• Moderators

Class 37 D6700 Copyright British Railways HR.jpg

Image copyright British Railways

60 years ago, today on 2nd December 1960, English Electric delivered the first of what was to become British Rail’s Class 37 locomotive, D6700, to Doncaster to begin its acceptance trials from its works at Newton-le-Willows.

Locomotion Models has commissioned its own OO Scale model of D6700 from Accurascale to be its latest addition to its National Collection in Miniature. It will be produced as delivered on that day in plain green livery (yellow warning panels were not added until much later), when it would have worked alongside steam locomotives which were in the process of being phased out of the British Railways network at that time in favour of diesel and electric traction.

309 examples of this mixed-traffic 1,750hp Co-Co class were built by English Electric and Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn between 1960 and 1965 to two basic designs, split and centre headcode. They could be found systemwide leading all kinds of freight and passenger services. 135 were rebuilt in the mid-1980s giving them a further lease of life, while further major rebuilds have taken place since privatisation. Many are still in service today.

D6700 was released from the factory on 2nd December 1960 and was immediately allocated to Stratford Depot in East London but underwent acceptance trials before running light engine to its new home arriving on 23rd December. It was allocated at various times to Haymarket, Thornaby, Toton, March, Gateshead and Tinsley. It was repainted into rail blue livery in June 1969.  After introduction of the TOPS (Total Operations Processing System) computerised numbering system D6700 became No. 37119 in 1974. It subsequently became a member of the 37/3 sub class in March 1988 and was renumbered to No. 37350. Having passed to English, Welsh & Scottish Railways (EWS) at privatisation the locomotive was backdated to pseudo-1960s condition for the Toton Depot Open Day in August 1998 and was named ‘National Railway Museum’ three months later. It was withdrawn on the 1st December 1999 and was presented by EWS to become part of the National Collection.

The Accurascale model will be delivered in Locomotion Models packaging and features a 21PIN DCC socket. The model features include.

• Plain BR green as delivered in December 1960
  • Split Headcode with four-character display (with optional customer-applied headcodes)    
  • Nose connecting doors
  • No nose corner grab irons
  • Bufferbeam cowling with large round Oleo buffers
  • As delivered bufferbeam configuration with vacuum/steam/control pipes and multiple working equipment
  • Original windscreens and cab interior
  • Open boiler exhaust and steam valve (with optional plated version)
  • Double-riveted roof with large cab roof vent
  • Fabricated bogies
  • Underslung fuel tank with boiler water tank
  • Frost grille
  • Early cantrail grille with riveted surround

The model has a retail price of £169.99. It can be pre-ordered for £30 deposit from www.locomotionmodels.com and is due for delivery in Autumn 2021.

Edit - A DCC Sound-fitted option has now been added to the website and can be ordered for £259.99 or with a £30 deposit.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Been waiting for this.........now ordered, put the credit card into the recycle bin as that's all about what it's worth now:swoon:.

Mike

'

• Funny 2

Guest Locomotion No. 3

We have had a number of enquiries regarding provision of a DCC SOUND version of D6700.

This has now been arranged with Accurascale and will be available for £259.99. Anyone who wishes to change their order can do so by contacting Stuart via www.locomotionmodels.com 

Both versions (DCC READY and DCC SOUND) are available to pre-order on our website for a £30 deposit.

Dennis Lovett

Locomotion Models

Edited by Locomotion No. 3
Clarification

D6700 seems to have been unique in being built without guttering to the tops and sides of the body side grilles. Notice how smooth edged they look in the above photo compared to the rest of the fleet. I can’t find an early photo of D6701 but D6702 appears to have been built with gutters. 

17 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

No 'As Preserved' option with High Intensity headlight and yellow pannel.....?

I thought part of Locomotion Models remit was models of locos as displayed (hence Hardwicke with white roof)?

That may come later.

Certainly they've done non-display models-the WCML and ECML versions of DELTIC spring to mind.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/12/2020 at 14:48, G-BOAF said:

I thought part of Locomotion Models remit was models of locos as displayed (hence Hardwicke with white roof)?

I would accept an all green one with a HIL :rolleyes: 

Guest Locomotion No. 3
On 04/12/2020 at 14:48, G-BOAF said:

We looked at the option of producing D6700 as currently preserved but this would have required new tooling options and would have added considerably to the price. 

We, therefore, decided with Accurascale to model the locomotive as originally delivered in 1960 for which the tooling options existed.

The photograph below was taken by myself on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway at Pickering in May 2007.

I trust that this clarifies why we made the decision we did.

Dennis Lovett

Exclusive Models Marketing Executive

Locomotion Models

IMG_0133.JPG

3 hours ago, Locomotion No. 3 said:

We looked at the option of producing D6700 as currently preserved but this would have required new tooling options and would have added considerably to the price. 

We, therefore, decided with Accurascale to model the locomotive as originally delivered in 1960 for which the tooling options existed.

The photograph below was taken by myself on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway at Pickering in May 2007.

I trust that this clarifies why we made the decision we did.

Dennis Lovett

Exclusive Models Marketing Executive

Locomotion Models

IMG_0133.JPG

Thanks Dennis

Appreciate the explanation.

Shame; I presume the tooling required would be unique to D6700 (headlight and skirted buffer)??? Or is there a chance it will be added to the tooling suite for other models?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 17/12/2020 at 18:32, G-BOAF said:

Thanks Dennis

Appreciate the explanation.

Shame; I presume the tooling required would be unique to D6700 (headlight and skirted buffer)??? Or is there a chance it will be added to the tooling suite for other models?

The nose could also be used for 37057 when it was in green on the mainline. 37116 had skirts and a headlight when in Large logo but the headlight was in a different place.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...