Mystery Coach Aberystwyth June 1986

Metr0Land

• RMweb Gold

Apologies, I've a feeling we may have discussed this on an older version of the forum but I'd lost the slide at the time.  We might have decided it was LNWR in origin but I don't recall a definitve identity.  Can anyone help pls?

Aberystwyth June 85.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I remember that from visits to the VoR in the late 1970s - when everything was rail blue!

Even in my mid-teens I was pretty sure it was a LNWR carriage. Now, with the aid of David Jenkinson's LNWR Carriages, I can confidently assert that I'm still not quite sure which diagram of toplight corridor third it is but I think it may be the 52'6" version, D266, of which 97 were built in 1915, on the basis of the arrangement of the corridor windows. I don't think it's the 57'0" version, D264A, as the corridor side elevation would be symmetrical, nor the 50'0" version, D267, which only had three doors on the corridor side. My reason for believing it to be a third is that the panels between the long windows are all the same width. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I remember that from visits to the VoR in the late 1970s - when everything was rail blue!

Even in my mid-teens I was pretty sure it was a LNWR carriage. Now, with the aid of David Jenkinson's LNWR Carriages, I can confidently assert that I'm still not quite sure which diagram of toplight corridor third it is but I think it may be the 52'6" version, D266, of which 97 were built in 1915, on the basis of the arrangement of the corridor windows. I don't think it's the 57'0" version, D264A, as the corridor side elevation would be symmetrical, nor the 50'0" version, D267, which only had three doors on the corridor side. My reason for believing it to be a third is that the panels between the long windows are all the same width. 

If it was a 57ft version, I assume that it would have 8 doors on the compartment side, whereas the photo shows only 7 doors, so almost certainly a 52'6".

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

If it was a 57ft version, I assume that it would have 8 doors on the compartment side, whereas the photo shows only 7 doors, so almost certainly a 52'6".

Mea maxima culpa. I hadn't followed the link to the "Departmentals" website with the photo of the compartment side. That shows wider panels at the far end - it is a composite, so with seven compartments undoubtedly 57 ft. The makes it D131, as stated there. Built 1914-1920.

• Informative/Useful 1