western prince headache

lwnameplates

hello all im looking for some advice please.
i have the Dapol western prince and on DC works great i have installed dcc sound from legoman and all great but all of a sudden now and again it would stop lights flickering and sound goes off and sounds like it plays about half a second then stutters.
i tonight put the western chip in my class 68 to try it and works like a dream i try the western with a normal 21 pin decoder for it to stop and lights start to flicker and well im banging my head against a wall not had this for a few months but never get anywhere trying to solve the issue.
if there is anything i can help with here please ask away cos im not quiet sure what else i need to try.

• RMweb Gold

Ha ha ....! Forgive me for chuckling.... I have had the same issue here with Western Lord. Which has been a pain.... but no longer, sorted last night 

Remove the motor suppressors. There are two to do.... as you have been in already to fit sound then it shouldn’t be a problem. They are both orange blobs... capacitors... one on the PCB next to the chip, the other across the motor brushes. The one on the circuit board needs replacing across the pads with a bit of wire, the one across the motor brushes can just be carefully snipped off.

10 minute job! Fixed mine which had the same problems as you describe.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, lwnameplates said:

hi phil.

iv been trolling the internet and the person with a answer found out last night talk about timing.

i will get my soldering iron out tonight and attack this one,

thank you very much for the advice.

Hope the answer is the same! Let us know how you get on....

well after a few hours running in tests on simpleton jct test track all seem to wirk well although the horns do have different tones each end never noticed that before. in this image you can see the prince of clag stood next to a cat waiting to reive the next token haha

129533846_1324715011196002_7535889655974920337_n.jpg

1 hour ago, Pteremy said:

Out of curiosity...what were the capacitors supposed to do and why are they expendable?

They are there to suppress interference & smooth out voltage spikes.

The decoder does all this. Many decoders can also provide smoother running by detecting the spikes. This is more difficult if the suppressor is smoothing them anyway.

Some steam sound decoders (ESU & Zimo ones) also use these spikes to read the motor speed in order to synchronise the exhaust beat.

Ideally the capacitors should be on the blanking plugs so they are removed with the plug. They can be a bit big for this though.

Hornby's 8 pin blanks have an extra component on them. I assume this is a suppression capacitor but I've never felt the need to investigate.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, lwnameplates said:

i guess my next question about these is how do you turn the lights down on the cab and headcode cos they are waaaaayyyyyyy too bright i know it will be a c.v change but no idea which ones.

Having consulted the manual, that doesn't look like something which I have an easy answer for (If I had fiddled with lighting myself I may be in a better position to answer.

p.79 & 80 of the manual explains this but it looks a bit fiddly.

Standard disclaimer - always back up/record your CVs before making any changes.

I could upload a copy of the manual but it is much better to give you a link to it:

http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/instruction-manuals/digital-decoders/

I've fitted a few cab lighting kits into some of my diesels and thought the white too bright and bright (white) - if you understand what I mean.

Being right on the roof (inside) they're out of sight, so I simply cut a piece of clear plastic - part of the 'ice cube packaging' for example - and painted amber .... amount of paint used helps as well at times.

Colour tint is perfect - dullish, amber, not brilliant white.

Al.

Edited by atom3624

thats a good idea maybe have to look into that

16 hours ago, atom3624 said:

I've fitted a few cab lighting kits into some of my diesels and thought the white to bright and bright (white) - if you understand what I mean.

Being right on the roof (inside) they're out of sight, so I simply cut a piece of clear plastic - part of the 'ice cube packaging' for example - and painted amber .... amount of paint used helps as well at times.

Colour tint is perfect - dullish, amber, not brilliant white.

Al.