Using the easy-assembly Finetrax pointwork kits in 00 and EM (and in P4 from the S4 Society)

NFWEM57

• RMweb Gold

Hi Wayne,

All looking good -- apart from the name! Too much of a mouthful and difficult to remember exactly.

I would have called it something like "Keyway4" or some other single word which is not in the dictionary. That way it will come top in any Google searches, and be easily registered as a trade mark. And be easy for everyone to remember and get right when posting on social media. :)

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

11 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Hi Wayne,

All looking good -- apart from the name! Too much of a mouthful and difficult to remember exactly.

I would have called it something like "Keyway4" or some other single word which is not in the dictionary. That way it will come top in any Google searches, and be easily registered as a trade mark. And be easy for everyone to remember and get right when posting on social media. :)

Martin.

Thanks Martin,

It's really just 'Finetrax', the 'E-Z Build' denotes the new style of kits with the base including the chairs and will be below the main logo.

It's a little like:

Peco -                                 Streamline -            Code 100

Peco -                                  Streamline -            Code 75

British Finescale -              Finetrax -                E-Z Build

You get the idea :)

The word Finetrax has already gained strength with Google and other search engines included cross linking/back linking with other websites/blogs, no sense in starting from scratch.

P.S, I have just sent you a donation :)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Thanks Martin,

It's really just 'Finetrax', the 'E-Z Build' denotes the new style of kits with the base including the chairs and will be below the main logo.

It's a little like:

Peco -                                 Streamline -            Code 100

Peco -                                  Streamline -            Code 75

British Finescale -              Finetrax -                E-Z Build

You get the idea :)

The word Finetrax has already gained strength with Google and other search engines included cross linking/back linking with other websites/blogs, no sense in starting from scratch.

P.S, I have just sent you a donation :)

I entered 'Finetrax' and it came up straight away. No drama. 

Rob. 

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

The word Finetrax has already gained strength with Google

Hi Wayne,

Sure, you know what you're doing! But I thought it was FiNetrax with upper-case N for N gauge? Some scope for confusion there.

p.s. many thanks for the Templot donation. :)

Martin.

Just now, martin_wynne said:

Hi Wayne,

Sure, you know what you're doing! But I thought it was FiNetrax with upper-case N for N gauge? Some scope for confusion there.

p.s. many thanks for the Templot donation. :)

Martin.

You're right, but I'll be changing the logo so its more generic, you'll see :)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

"Finetrax" is, erm, fine but...

"Eezed Build" is a bit awkward as a name for the range...

Sorry for nit-picking.

Not sure if that was a joke..LOL  It's 'E-Z', as in 'Easy'...I'm sure you knew that ;) Hmm, perhaps I think I'm living in the US :biggrin_mini2:

Most people will just say Finetrax anyway :)

Edited by Wayne Kinney
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

You're right, but I'll be changing the logo so its more generic, you'll see

Hi Wayne,

Never under estimate folks ability to get things wrong. I got the Eee-Zee American reference, but I bet many on this side of the pond didn't. It's Zed here.

p.s. I'm often Martyn and you will be Waine. I've even been Mervyn and Malcolm. :)

Martin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Personally E-Z build really grates for me. Easybuild would be fine. You won’t sell to the US market, why use a US style name? But then I hate creeping Americanisms! Am I right buddy? Can I get some support here?

The product, however, is very interesting! Bit of a shame the FB N gauge are likely to be last to be updated though as that’s what I’d be after!

• Agree 3

20 hours ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Yes, templates will be available on the website once the kits are released.

Hi Wayne, I thought, as you were creating as a B7 the templates would be available by using Templot or am I missing something.

BTW best of luck and congratulations. I have been wondering for a long time why you hadn't done this.

Cheers

Godders

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This looks like a great development - I'll certainly be looking to use these kits for my next layout (having tried handbuilt track before and struggled to get the shape of the switches correct).

People are only complaining about the name because they can't complain about the price :lol:

Looking at the N gauge range on your website - will the same selection be abailable in 4mm? Things like the crossovers as one complete unit?

Edited by Nick C
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 06/12/2020 at 12:41, Compound2632 said:

Not to be confused with a Freudian slip, where the train takes the route it subconsciously intended rather than the route actually set. 

...........that's called P4 isn't it?

Written by a P4 modeller by the way, we are not all hair shirts!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Hair shirts and Freudian slips are quite different garments. 

Not to be confused with Herr Schitts, the well known Bavarian fine scale modeller. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, friscopete said:

c any believe people are moaning about the name .....

I dont think people are moaning, as such, but trying to provide some constructive criticism.

For me, the thing is how well your site comes up in searches that your typical customer is going to type into google. So its no surprise that people entering "Finetrax" or "EZ Build" works - but are they the terms likely to be used by someone who doesnt know about your product?

Ranking highly for keywords such as "how to build your own track" or "Point making kit" is more important. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Wayne Kinney said:
  •  

00-SF - This uses 1mm flangeways. 'RTR loco's and stock 'should' run through without modification, but a little more strict in having correct wheel 'back to backs'. The base will have the gauge narrow to 16.2mm through the crossing frog area only, the transition between 16.2mm and 16.5mm will be 'baked' into the turnout base.

Would it be easy to modify the turnout to keep it at 16.2mm throughout, for those wishing to hand-build 16.2mm plain trackwork?

Also, have you had any thoughts regarding selling the cast V-crossings as a separate item?

Very nice work :clapping:

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, polybear said:

Would it be easy to modify the turnout to keep it at 16.2mm throughout, for those wishing to hand-build 16.2mm plain trackwork?

Agree strongly. I was disappointed to read that gauge changes would be "baked in". Varying the track gauge through pointwork is not a sensible idea, especially when building complex formations and junctions.

I know some 00-SF users like to use 16.5mm for the switches and 16.2mm for the V-crossings, but it makes no sense to me, and what do you do at diamond-crossings?

If 16.5mm flexi plain track is wanted, the transition to 16.2mm should be in the end of the plain track, not in the pointwork. A plain track gauge-converter piece could be supplied for those who want it.

cheers,

Martin.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Guys,

The logic is to mask as much as possible the gauge narrowing to 16.2mm. You are correct Martin, that diamonds and slips would be 16.2mm throughout.

I got an email earlier from a potential customer also requesting for 16.2mm gauge throughout the turnout as this would also reduce the gap between the stock rail and 'open' switch blade - a very good reason indeed!

Anything is possible as I am still in the design stages for 00-SF, would be good to get more feedback there. Either approach is no problem, but I would like to settle on one of them.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1