Using the easy-assembly Finetrax pointwork kits in 00 and EM (and in P4 from the S4 Society)

NFWEM57

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, hayfield said:

I am not speaking for Martin, but the way I read Martin's reply, is that Wayne will have his work cut out developing the 1-7 in the 6 variations and building up stock levels before going off developing a wider range, designing 3 double slips on top of the existing workload is asking a bit much

I'm afraid I'm the customer who is unlikely to buy until he's seen the single slip!

8 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Wayne will have his work cut out developing the 1-7 in the 6 variations and building up stock levels before going off developing a wider range, designing 3 double slips on top of the existing workload is asking a bit much

S02E02-Y8ijp4Hw-subtitled.jpg.0b0ffba6a99374664d74d299a8abca17.jpg

;););)

Edited by Wayne Kinney
  • Like 2
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

OK the C10s have it! But now we're looking for a 1:10 single slip too... (Would that survive being curved?)

Being flatter than 1:8 means it would be a switch-diamond slip, so that's a completely different kit -- no K-crossings, additional switch blades and stretcher bars. Might actually be easier than a fixed K-crossing slip kit.

And yes, it could be curved -- one click in Templot to create:

c10_slip_crossover.png.e7124ef572d214734062b751a8ca01f8.png

Martin.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

56 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm afraid I'm the customer who is unlikely to buy until he's seen the single slip!

No doubt you have not bought the new Peco offering. My next project has a facing crossover with a turnout spliced into it, a bit like a single Barry slip, something no one  would ever make

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, hayfield said:

No doubt you have not bought the new Peco offering. My next project has a facing crossover with a turnout spliced into it, a bit like a single Barry slip, something no one  would ever make

In N to e"N"courage and  feed Wayne I bought points ready knowing a slip was a few years down the road - and now it is , hanging back does run the risk of nothing and life of eternal regret !!  and knowing Wayne was on dry bread and water.  "Go on, go on " as the add says and join in the fun. " # Keep wayne fed" springs to mind...    

Robert     

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

There I was sitting on my computer at 09:45 ten o clock came and went 10:30 still nothing from Brighton. All that happened was some mob in Margate had some new models........... So here I am still waiting for what to me will be the most important announcement of the year. Wayne I am ready and waiting like a coiled spring.

Keith

ps if you have time could you nip upto Rowfant and do a couple of measurements for me................ only joking........

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

I have plenty of the N bullhead thats been laid for several years unpainted and glued in PVA that gets a good daily dose of sunlight, plus the spare sprues on unmade plain track have been on the window sill for around the same amount of time. Just checked the sprues and they're still good to use, so I have every faith in the the research that has gone in to the resins for these, so much so that I'm more than willing to shift my wait for the Peco slips onto this product instead.

Bravo Wayne! Loved working with the N gauge product, and really can't wait for these to start to appear. Time for me to start planning around the geometry changes needed!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Zunnan said:

I have plenty of the N bullhead thats been laid for several years unpainted and glued in PVA that gets a good daily dose of sunlight, plus the spare sprues on unmade plain track have been on the window sill for around the same amount of time. Just checked the sprues and they're still good to use, so I have every faith in the the research that has gone in to the resins for these, so much so that I'm more than willing to shift my wait for the Peco slips onto this product instead.

Bravo Wayne! Loved working with the N gauge product, and really can't wait for these to start to appear. Time for me to start planning around the geometry changes needed!

I thought Wayne said he is using a different method to produce the 4 mm scale items than the N gauge ones ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, James Harrison said:

What Zunnan said.  If you can build your range up quicker than Peco (and considering how long their slips and crossing have been 'in development' I think you'll struggle not to do that) and you'll have a customer here.

Unless you are talking about another post Zunnan has not mentioned Peco at all and it seems from the fact that the additional items are either proving more difficult to produce or other items have taken up production capacity 

Zunnan has given a very good testimony  as to both the quality and longevity of Wayne's N gauge product, which can only be reassuring. However I understand that the base of the N gauge turnouts are injection moulded, where as the 4mm scale base will be 3D printed in a resin material. I am not knocking either of the products, just pointing out the 2 products are similar in materials but not the same  

5 hours ago, Zunnan said:

That is what I was referring to.

2 hours ago, hayfield said:

I thought Wayne said he is using a different method to produce the 4 mm scale items than the N gauge ones ?

He is using a very different method, but based my own experience of years worth of using his current products I have every faith that the resin blend he's decided on for this venture will be more than adequate for the job in hand.

The one thing I haven't yet managed is successful recovery for re-use of laid and ballasted, but then I also didn't have much success doing that when I ripped out the code 55 that the code 40 replaced. I still sometimes fight the urge to rip out the engine shed area track in the clubs N gauge layout to relay with Waynes code 40, its only 16 points and a single slip after all...

Re the peco slips, I've waited and held off rebuilding my home 00 layout for a few years now entirely because the slips haven't arrived. I had long accepted that given the shortcomings of what I can make out of copperclad, Peco was going to be the answer. I've never really liked the way trains behave on Peco geometry with the massive overthrow even on long crossovers, I even considered the ultimate compromise and using the code 83 range to get the behaviour a bit more where I wanted it. The one and only thing that ultimately stopped me was not wanting to temporary lay FB slips as placeholders for BH ones, otherwise I'd have cracked on with the build. This however, is a game changer. It ticks more boxes for me than Peco does, and I don't count that in any way as a failing on Pecos part. Its the BH track I want, with the geometry I want, in a format I know I can comfortably produce in a smaller scale. For that, I am happy to hold on and wait a little longer.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

That really does look a bit tasty.. I might be tempted to (finally) build a layout. My last indoor one used Wrenn fibre-based track, which wasn't really that practical in a damp garden shed.

Crikey. You do realise we have electricity these days?!!

Mike.

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Hi Guys,

Couple of quick images. I've finished the B7 EM Gauge base and I'm pretty happy with it. I still need to mill the switch blades, as I've now changed to using the EM Gauge Societies code 75 rail, its a little thicker so I need to make a new jig fixture for my CNC milling machine, which is my next job :)

DSC04454.JPG

DSC04455.JPG

DSC04456.JPG

DSC04457.JPG

DSC04458.JPG

DSC04459.JPG

DSC04460.JPG

Wayne, 

Having seen this I think that you have probably done more than anyone else to make EM gauge a viable alternative to OO for those modellers who have limited track building skills and tried EM, but fell down at the hurdle of building points. 

Edited by Tankerman
typo
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Hi Guys,

Couple of quick images. I've finished the B7 EM Gauge base and I'm pretty happy with it. I still need to mill the switch blades, as I've now changed to using the EM Gauge Societies code 75 rail, its a little thicker so I need to make a new jig fixture for my CNC milling machine, which is my next job :)

DSC04454.JPG

DSC04455.JPG

DSC04456.JPG

DSC04457.JPG

DSC04458.JPG

DSC04459.JPG

DSC04460.JPG

Just a little tweak needed of the alignment between the curved switch rail and the common crossing.  Love it though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That looks great Wayne. :)

How about a close-up of the switch area? Does it now have a proper set in the stock rail? Have you reduced the switch front to 2 timbers? Have we seen a close-up of your stretcher bar (tie-bar) design?

Sorry about so many question marks!

Martin.

• Like 1

Can I say green with envy.... It looks great and I can’t wait to see the 00sf version. It’s been well worth the wait since Tuesday when Margate showed there wares. On past performance Wayne’s products will be here and in use long before the latest major manufacture gets its 2021 releases.

Keith

• Like 2