Using the easy-assembly Finetrax pointwork kits in 00 and EM (and in P4 from the S4 Society)

NFWEM57

On 09/01/2021 at 01:15, martin_wynne said:

Hi Chris,

I can't speak for Wayne or these specific products, but generally to curve a turnout with a moulded base:

1. snip through and remove the tabs between the timbers under all rails except the straight closure rail.

2. that will make the base quite flimsy, so it will need to be stuck down to a template at the required curve.

3. in the case of similar-flexure, the curved switch blade/closure rail will need to be slightly longer than if assembled straight, so ideally it would be supplied a little over-length for trimming to fit, or exchangeable for a longer length.

cheers,

Martin.

Thanks Martin

To plan my Layout, I used SCARM software using Peco Large Radius SL-E186 curved points as a template. I'm using RTR stock not EM, but to get a realistic looking track, I've always been in 2 minds whether to just use standard Peco points & either BH flexi or standard flexi & do my own sleeper spacing. Or construct/order some Marcway ones with SMP flexi track, as I think Peco's BH curved points will be many years away! Being a total novice with points & radii I thought Wayne's might be a good 3rd option to get a more realistic looking curved point near to a SL-E186. Do you have any thoughts?   

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chris Horner said:

Thanks Martin

To plan my Layout, I used SCARM software using Peco Large Radius SL-E186 curved points as a template. I'm using RTR stock not EM, but to get a realistic looking track, I've always been in 2 minds whether to just use standard Peco points & either BH flexi or standard flexi & do my own sleeper spacing. Or construct/order some Marcway ones with SMP flexi track, as I think Peco's BH curved points will be many years away! Being a total novice with points & radii I thought Wayne's might be a good 3rd option to get a more realistic looking curved point near to a SL-E186. Do you have any thoughts?   

Chris

If you want something more realistic I would look towards Wayne's product, simply as it uses prototypical geometry and bullhead rail, plus you have a very good representation of chairs.

If you use Templot you can plan your layout using B7 turnouts as is or curved. If you ask nicely someone will send you a template for Peco's turnouts. Peco bullhead track matches Waynes product, as does C&L new flexi track and Exactoscale Fastrack bases also match in height

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

I have now sent the EM Gauge 'prototype' kit to Patrick, he should get this tomorrow.

He will be sharing pictures of the build and running of a few loco's on his test track :)

You could send me one to practise as well.............he he he.........

Keith the ham-fisted modeller 00sf just a hint

Edited by KeithHC
Addition
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
On 14/01/2021 at 09:40, Wayne Kinney said:

I have now sent the EM Gauge 'prototype' kit to Patrick, he should get this tomorrow.

He will be sharing pictures of the build and running of a few loco's on his test track :)

EM B7 duly received and assembled.  Have started a new thread with first look pictures.

Well done Wayne..!:)

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 2

Hi Wayne,

I am very excited to see what you are doing here - somewhat selfishly too, especially coming as I start the next phase of Camden Shed mk2.

The quality of these look excellent and I will be keen to order a load when you are ready.

thank you, and best wishes.

Iain

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Hi Guys,

Thought I would share what I've been working on the last few days, a jig fixture to hold down the rail while they are machined into switch blades:

DSC04475.JPG.9568601ae672ae7b1dad7cf2fc52f7fc.JPGDSC04477.JPG.bc3f49ec6110a7a907fbd8205175a803.JPGDSC04478.JPG.18d824107db5f0e16d28398794a07c15.JPGDSC04479.JPG.f4f5ea090167f93fd08f86968056ccef.JPG

The jig holds 16 blades so enough for 8 turnout kits (or 2 double slips). Takes 52 minutes to machine all 16.

Also a small video of it in operation:

Edited by Wayne Kinney
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

Reply,

Thanks Wayne but I meant both sides of the same blade, machining off the stock rail side to give a flat back mating with the stock rail leaves an overthick tip and needs the head machining down on the otherside to get a fine point, or else the end of the web will be lost if the machining from one side is taken down to a fine point..

Thanks Keith,

I fill the web side with solder before machining, so it only needs machining on one side. Keeps things strong and simple. Solder would be present anyway when the plates that attach to the tie bar are soldered on.

Note that there was no solder fill on these as I was only testing and to make the video...

Edited by Wayne Kinney
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wayne Kinney said:

The jig holds 16 blades so enough for 8 turnout kits (or 2 double slips). Takes 52 minutes to machine all 16.

Hi Wayne,

How long to apply the Elastoplast after tightening and releasing all those wing nuts all afternoon? :)

I suggest ordinary nuts and a T-handle box-spanner. Or some sort of rotary-cam quick clamp through the baseplate.

Also you need two jigs, so that you can be loading/unloading the next one while the first one is machining.

I'm sure you know all this stuff.

Martin.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, SteveCornford said:

Would it be possible to add relevant Finetrax B7 templates to Templot for EM and 4-SF/OO-SF etc. 

Surely if they're true B7 they'll be in Templot already? (Says he, not a Templot user.)

• RMweb Premium
On 07/12/2020 at 14:31, Wayne Kinney said:

Thanks Frank,

I appreciate you spreading the word :)

It would be similar but I do modify many parameters so may not be identical.

As Wayne has modified many parameters, would it be practicable/viable for Wayne and Martin to collaberate so that we (users of Templot) can have a suitably accurate template in Templot for Wayne's products thus allowing us to print out an overall build plan incorporating the kits where available, interlaced with the other parts that need constructing?

Wayne

Thanks for showing us the various production stages, and I look forward to purchasing your products.

Steve  

Edited by SteveCornford
spelling mistakes and extra comment
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Surely if they're true B7 they'll be in Templot already? (Says he, not a Templot user.)

Hi Stephen,

Templot already contains everything, and nothing at all. It is a tool, not a catalogue. :)

The user sets up whatever template they want. There are some pre-sets provided for convenience which will probably match Wayne's kits straight off, but if they don't it is easy to change the settings until they do. Any Templot user can then post their Templot data file for any other user who wants it. Wayne has said that he might post such files.

cheers,

Martin.

• Informative/Useful 2