Using the easy-assembly Finetrax pointwork kits in 00 and EM (and in P4 from the S4 Society)

NFWEM57

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

This is great stuff and comes with perfect timing.

When do you expect 00 gauge product to come to market? Do you have a planned product range and when each will be available? Points are of limited use without diamonds. When will diamonds be available?

Have you fixed a price yet?

Bob

• Like 1

Soon is the time frame we are all waiting. I think it will be turnouts first followed by diamonds and then slips. The debate has been going on wether to do 00 or 00sf plus EM. Wayne has indicated that pricing could be similar to his n gauge range but we all have to wait for Wayne to let know soon. No matter what I want several.

Keith.

ps Wayne please correct and tell me off if I have it wrong.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

Soon is the time frame we are all waiting. I think it will be turnouts first followed by diamonds and then slips. The debate has been going on wether to do 00 or 00sf plus EM. Wayne has indicated that pricing could be similar to his n gauge range but we all have to wait for Wayne to let know soon. No matter what I want several.

Keith.

Keith,

Didn't know whether to say thanks or agree. So, both.

Large radius turnouts and matching diamonds, please. How strange, it doesn't seem long ago that I was looking forward to Peco bullhead points. They'll now be consigned to the fiddle yard for my next layout.

Bob 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KeithHC said:

Keith.

About the same price as N scale, you say?

Ye have to be jokin', bonny lad. I'll have a sack full, please.

• Like 1

Well, 23 quid is still an extremely good price and all the work is done for you.

I was just wondering whether my railway should be ready to lay points or hand made. This is the perfect solution, somewhere in between.

Bob

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, martin_wynne said:

Thanks Martin I knew it was there somewhere. That’s why I did put a proviso as I might get it wrong or as Dick Emery said in one of his ongoing sketch’s “Dad I got it wrong”.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

After that, progressively adding to the range, A5, A6, B6, B8, C9 & C10 with matching diamonds and slips

Hi Wayne,

May I suggest that you don't do an A-5? Do a 9ft-5 instead. That way you get a shorter space-saving turnout which actually has an easier radius. 9ft switches have the same planing angle as "A", so would use the same components as an A-5, just different geometry for the base:

a5_v_9ft5.png.4f51049e2380f137ce8ec42b3789756c.png

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Wayne Kinney said:

After that, progressively adding to the range, A5, A6, B6, B8, C9 & C10 with matching diamonds and slips

Wayne, I can see the need for slips and diamond B6, however the RTR EMGS points are only £4 more than your kit?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dhjgreen said:

Wayne, I can see the need for slips and diamond B6, however the RTR EMGS points are only £4 more than your kit?

I don't quite follow? You mean not offer a B6? I would prefer to offer a complete range and not skip a kit.

Besides, my kits have more prototypical chairs, so that's one advantage.

Edited by Wayne Kinney
  • Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

I don't quite follow? You mean not offer a B6? I would prefer to offer a complete range and not skip a kit.

Hi Wayne,

More significantly, your kits can be curved to any radius. And they are kits, which means they can be hacked and kit-bashed together into almost any formation.

I sometimes wonder if even you realise what a game-changer your product is going to be for the entire 4mm hand-built track hobby. :)

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2

21 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

Hi Wayne,

More significantly, your kits can be curved to any radius. And they are kits, which means they can be hacked and kit-bashed together into almost any formation.

I sometimes wonder if even you realise what a game-changer your product is going to be for the entire 4mm hand-built track hobby. :)

cheers,

Martin.

Here, here. I can't wait. This has got me really excited about the start of my layout build.

I might even go for 00fs.

Bob

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dhjgreen said:

Whilst I would always advocate the benefits of being an EMGS member, having B6’s available in kit form will be helpful to non EMGS members who haven’t an EMGS member available to order points for them.

Frank

• Like 3

On 17/02/2021 at 17:34, Chuffer Davies said:

Whilst I would always advocate the benefits of being an EMGS member, having B6’s available in kit form will be helpful to non EMGS members who haven’t an EMGS member available to order points for them.

Frank

Why would someone who models EM not be a society member? 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Denbridge said:

Why would someone who models EM not be a society member? 

Perhaps they are just venturing into the EM arena?  They might buy a turnout or two along with some flexi to try their hand and then join or vice versa..!  Me, I joined up front.  Does everybody who buys RTR OO join a society? It has to appeal in some way. The hook for me was initially the RTR trackwork having had one experience of C&L costs and delay; have yet to even build the thing.!  Once I had joined, all the other benefits became apparent.  We are all different.  I am not a 'prototypical' track expert, just a 'prototypical' track user, so different drivers.   I feel sure the EMGS will thrive even with Wayne's products on the open market.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I do wonder if some sort of elitism will emerge amongst EM modellers. Will we see an element who will look down their nose at those who use Wayne's excellent system, rather than use the more traditional methods of constructing trackwork ?

I'm often asked when exhibiting if the trackwork on my layouts is EM gauge. 

I'm happy to say no, simply 00 gauge, carefully laid, ballasted, painted and weathered. 

That said,  I see the attraction in trying out EM gauge using this trackwork. Its priced exactly right for a small test piece to be viable and crucially, successful.

If I did,  I wouldn't look to join the EMGS. I simply don't see the need to do so for such a project. 

This trackwork will encourage more than a few, who like me, are put off hand building track due to the complexities involved. 

Dare I say it, this trackwork is a bit of a game changer, certainly for 00 gauge but definitely for EM gauge which could be opened up to the masses. 

Rob. 

{ Although as masses go, the mass likely to be so created is unlikely to be a massive mass but more of a mass than we currently have massing......so to speak}

Edited by NHY 581
Clarity
  • Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Dare I say it, this trackwork is a bit of a game changer, certainly for 00 gauge but definitely for EM gauge which could be opened up to the masses. 

Rob.

I agree and as an enthusiast of the "micro" layout I think when slightly shorter realistic points are available in 00 this will also be a game changer. I needed 1500mm to make a viable micro using the PECO BH points (Penmaenbach) but once we can do something in 1200mm or so with decent track it may have quite an impact.

Chris

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I agree and as an enthusiast of the "micro" layout I think when slightly shorter realistic points are available in 00 this will also be a game changer. I needed 1500mm to make a viable micro using the PECO BH points (Penmaenbach) but once we can do something in 1200mm or so with decent track it may have quite an impact.

Chris

Agree, Chris.  Whilst not wishing to add to Wayne's workload, the appearance of shorter turnout will really help us micro/cameo layout types. 

Rob. 

• Like 4