Using the easy-assembly Finetrax pointwork kits in 00 and EM (and in P4 from the S4 Society)

NFWEM57

On 22/11/2021 at 17:09, Wayne Kinney said:

Just doing my job ;) should be with you tomorrow or Wednesday!

The eagle has landed. Last point build this afternoon and then start to lay track into the junction. Thanks for your help.

These kits really are a breeze and once you've built a few of them you can really put them together very quickly. Most of my builds have been as crossovers or in the junction itself and they are really simple to modify and fit together. I have introduced a partial curve into two of them by removing alternative webs from the base in the area of curvature. Very easy to do so that you can manipulate at the time of fitting.

One lesson I did learn though, having built the point as a straight assembly, if you then decide to introduce a curve the rail lengths will need adjustment. Easy on the stock rails. Not so straight forward on a fitted switch rail.

This was overcome by introducing a prototypical fishplate joint in the length of the blade.

Thanks again,

Bob

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, RBAGE said:

The eagle has landed. Last point build this afternoon and then start to lay track into the junction. Thanks for your help.

These kits really are a breeze and once you've built a few of them you can really put them together very quickly. Most of my builds have been as crossovers or in the junction itself and they are really simple to modify and fit together. I have introduced a partial curve into two of them by removing alternative webs from the base in the area of curvature. Very easy to do so that you can manipulate at the time of fitting.

One lesson I did learn though, having built the point as a straight assembly, if you then decide to introduce a curve the rail lengths will need adjustment. Easy on the stock rails. Not so straight forward on a fitted switch rail.

This was overcome by introducing a prototypical fishplate joint in the length of the blade.

Thanks again,

Bob

Any pictures of the final product?

22 minutes ago, NFWEM57 said:

Any pictures of the final product?

I started dry fitting the components of the junction this afternoon. Still a few more to fit. Then some tuning and alignment before final fit.

I'll post images as I go.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Bob

Some excellent work done there and of course congrats to Wayne for a super product.

I am also very impressed with the diamond crossing, you have made an excellent job of building it. Do you have a thread on the layout build ?

Hello John,

Thanks for the positive feedback.

It's a bit off topic, so I had better beware, but I was very pleased with how easily the diamond went together.

Anyhow, no thread for Newton Hall Junction. I do tend to hide my light, as dim as it is. I'm never sufficiently happy with my work to be brave enough to share it. However, these kits from Wayne do seem to have a positive effect on a modellers perceived ability. If you see what I mean

I spent many years building my own pointwork using components from the usual sources, with varying levels of success but, for Newton Hall Junction, time became a factor. NHJ version 1 was all hand built. NHJ version 2 was ready to lay. This is version 3 and Wayne's kits go some way to giving you the best of both worlds (flexibility and speed of assembly) and with consistent results. Versions 1 and 2 were never completed because I wasn't satisfied with the results. This product certainly gives more encouraging results. For me at least.

Thanks again,

Bob

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Anyhow, no thread for Newton Hall Junction. I do tend to hide my light, as dim as it is. I'm never sufficiently happy with my work to be brave enough to share it. However, these kits from Wayne do seem to have a positive effect on a modellers perceived ability. If you see what I mean

If those photos are anything to go by, you've no reason to be ashamed! 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Nick C said:

If those photos are anything to go by, you've no reason to be ashamed! 

Hello Nick C,

It's good of you to say so but this is really Wayne's work. All I have done is assemble his kits and arrange them on a board.

As I suggested, these kits make you appear better than you otherwise would. Credit must go to the design for easy assembly.

If anyone has any doubt, these kits are so easy to assemble, you couldn't fail to be impressed with what they produce.

The 11 point kits you see in the images are all I will need for the scenic section of my railway. When I consider the range that Wayne has produced in N gauge, if he does the same for 00 gauge I'm already looking forward to my next layout.

Bob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RBAGE said:

Hello John,

Thanks for the positive feedback.

It's a bit off topic, so I had better beware, but I was very pleased with how easily the diamond went together.

I spent many years building my own pointwork using components from the usual sources, with varying levels of success but, for Newton Hall Junction, time became a factor. NHJ version 1 was all hand built. NHJ version 2 was ready to lay. This is version 3 and Wayne's kits go some way to giving you the best of both worlds (flexibility and speed of assembly) and with consistent results. Versions 1 and 2 were never completed because I wasn't satisfied with the results. This product certainly gives more encouraging results. For me at least.

Thanks again,

Bob

I have no idea about something like this being off topic, the vast majority of the items are from Wayne's products. OK Wayne will have diamonds in the future, but what it clearly shows is that Wayne's products are fully computable with other ranges. No matter how many items Wayne produces someone will want something different which is not available. these photos clearly show what can be achieved

One piece I do like is where you have interlaced the timbers from two adjacent turnouts, rather than chop of the timber ends.

As for hiding your endeavours, don't be shy. Most on here will be nothing but be supportive and what you are doing shows off Wayne's products to their best

Talking about Wayne, he's been a bit quiet lately, does this mean something new is in the offing, hope so.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Bob,

The pictures are looking fab, and your diamond looks very skilfully assembled, well done mate!

35 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Talking about Wayne, he's been a bit quiet lately, does this mean something new is in the offing, hope so.

Working in the background :) Currently doing a large batch of the new 'All Rail' kits for both the 2mm Scale Association and the 3mm Scale Society.

Should be getting the new updated 4mm kits back in stock and online early December :)

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, hayfield said:

I have no idea about something like this being off topic, the vast majority of the items are from Wayne's products. OK Wayne will have diamonds in the future, but what it clearly shows is that Wayne's products are fully computable with other ranges. No matter how many items Wayne produces someone will want something different which is not available. these photos clearly show what can be achieved

One piece I do like is where you have interlaced the timbers from two adjacent turnouts, rather than chop of the timber ends.

As for hiding your endeavours, don't be shy. Most on here will be nothing but be supportive and what you are doing shows off Wayne's products to their best

Wayne is busy, I believe,  making 'how to' videos..! Not easy and he is doing well by the evidence so far

Edited by NFWEM57
update
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, RBAGE said:

Is everyone hibernating? 

Busy upgrading a few vintage Mainline Peaks for the 21st Century.  On a well known site later this week. New buffer beams, DCC ready, etc.  Oh, and wine tasting... !:D

Edited by NFWEM57

• RMweb Premium

Well , Ive arrived late to this thread!!

First abit of background. 

One time owner of an EM gauge layout built entirely of C&L, hand built switches and crossings, that layout unfortunately is now defunct (15 years ago).

I then built an American outline H0 layout that has lasted 14 years, now getting itchy feet and need something new!

This is where I get to the 'point'.:D

I want to model British practise again but the RTR track on offer leaves me cold. I work for a living on the real thing and it makes you very fussy on how model track should look, that's another reason why the H0 layout has fallen by the wayside! Sure, I could go the handbuilt route in H0 but I've been there before, there are more interesting things to be doing. The Peco Bullhead offerings are a start but expensive etc.

So, having looked through these pages, this is exactly what I've been looking for, handbuilt but without the faff and this looks absolutely excellent!! 

Well done, Wayne! 

Not sure when, hopefully soon, I will be making an order for your point kits.

Thank you for bringing it to the market!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Nick C said:

Yep. I've got four of the kits sitting on the Plumtree Cross baseboard waiting to be built...

And as if by magic...

IMG_20211216_201224160.jpg.ab995ed4116f80fa79f4d30e15394bc0.jpg

It took me less than an hour and a half last night to get all four built - just need to attach the droppers and stick them down now...

Edited by Nick C
typo...
  • Like 15
  • Round of applause 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I apologise in advance as I suspect this has already been answered, but will these be offered in flat bottom rail in due course??

I realise they will have more challenges in the manufacturing process, more planing of rail etc. 

• Like 1