Using the easy-assembly Finetrax pointwork kits in 00 and EM (and in P4 from the S4 Society)

NFWEM57

• RMweb Premium

I’m also looking forward to ordering some too. I’ve never built any sort of track before, so it will be a very interesting experience. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, BSW01 said:

I’m also looking forward to ordering some too. I’ve never built any sort of track before, so it will be a very interesting experience. 

Brian trust me anyone can do these kits it is that easy. It is not track building its more akin to assembly. But the end result is excellent. I feel that these kits are a stepping stone towards being able to undertake track building as done by John(Hayfield), Gordon S, The Laird, Les01 et al.

Keith  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Do you want a blue plaque for the front of the house?!!

Mike.

Damn, I thought the plaque was mine....!  Hey Ho..!   Obviously pipped at the post..!

That funny time zone clock again..!

Patrick

Edited by NFWEM57
Humour additional
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

16 hours ago, NFWEM57 said:

Damn, I thought the plaque was mine....!  Hey Ho..!   Obviously pipped at the post..!

That funny time zone clock again..!

Patrick

Sorry Patrick I had heard that your workbench had been saved for the nation. Rumours are that a theme park and shop are to built with the bench as the centre piece of the exhibition.

Quite rightly you where the first and John was second I am a mere pawn in relation to the two of you. But the real hero has to be Wayne. I can see pilgrames to Brighton.

Keith

Edited by KeithHC
Correct auto corrected word
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I see that May 21  issue of BRM has an article on making C&L turnouts. Be good if Wayne's product had a similar spread a few months down the line.!   Would let readers see the wider choice out there now..!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RBAGE said:

Not Freudian then?

Freudian slip: a piece of pointwork that directs a train in the direction you subconsciously want it to go in rather than the direction set; alternatively, a garment that reveals more than it conceals.

• Funny 13

On 18/12/2020 at 21:54, Godders said:

Painting may well slow down UV related degradation but if you don't know what the material is, how can you possibly apply the appropriate paint finish to it. Painting it may be the worst thing you can do.

I suspect this is a false concern, at least as far as using modellers standard acrylic paint washes are concerned. Even commercial acrylics these days, the sort used for wall painting and trims, have moved to VOC free bases. I'd be steering clear of oil based enamels though. The benefits of providing a pigment covering (inevitably absorbing UV) would far outweigh the remote possibility that the application of paint itself might be deleterious.

It is worth remembering that Acrylic paint is itself based on a type of polymeric resin which simply completes its polymerisation on application. What we are talking about is relative risks #. There is a high degree of risk in placing ANY plastic object under extended UV exposure even if they have stabilisers added while a simple coat of Acrylic pigmented paint should provide helpful protection.

# Addition:

One way to think about the risk issue is to consider if you can identify any material where using an acrylic paint causes a problem, be it corrosion, breakdown, damage, deterioration or whatever. Are there any contra-indications? I can't think of any and that's because there's no aggressive reactivity or solvent action going on while the paint cures. Once the acrylic (or acrylic-styrene copolymer) resin has cured all you have is an inert protective coating in place.

Edited by BWsTrains
addition
  • Informative/Useful 3

11 hours ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Haha, I moved to Brighton in 1990 when I was 8, the second day my Dad treated me to a ride on the Volks :)

Well you did better than me. I lived in east Surrey and in Sussex no more than 25 miles from Brighton(I still have close family in Haywards Heath) for the first 25 years of my life. Despite that including many trips to Brighton I have never been on the Volks. Maybe one day when I come to pick up a bulk order of turnout kits.........

Keith

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, KeithHC said:

(I still have close family in Haywards Heath)

I was born in Haywards Heath :)

1 hour ago, KeithHC said:

Despite that including many trips to Brighton I have never been on the Volks. Maybe one day when I come to pick up a bulk order of turnout kits.........

It's lovely on a Sunny day!

Edited by Wayne Kinney

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I had a great aunt in Brighton and most visits to her usually involved a trip on the Volks railway, when I were a lad. Happy days. That brings back another memory of Brighton, but I can't relate it here. 

The mind boggles!

Mike.

• Agree 1