Using the easy-assembly Finetrax pointwork kits in 00 and EM (and in P4 from the S4 Society)

NFWEM57

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Barry slip

Top bloke and best goal keeper that turned out for the  Nempnett Thrubwell first XI. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

This is great news. I am currently building an EM layout using entirely the EMGS ready to lay track and turnouts, as manufactured for the EMGS by Peco. I have previously made some handbuilt track and turnouts with C&L components with some success but am not confident that my efforts will stand up to repeated use and, anyway, it would have taken me a long time to lay what I have been able to do reasonably quickly with the EMGS items. I have laid about 40 metres of track and twelve turnouts. The only drawback has been that the only turnout currently available is a B7, so the track layout had to be drawn up accordingly, which restricted me somewhat. This new product has come along a little late for me for the current layout, but for a future layout  and, maybe, any alterations I decide on for the current one, this looks as if it would be ideal. I feel sure that you will find a ready market for your products.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Another request for you, Wayne, in due course: a "Barry slip". 

Not to be confused with a Freudian slip, where the train takes the route it subconsciously intended rather than the route actually set. Rather trickier to do with the existing range of components.

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jeff Smith said:

Interesting, after an initial flurry of responses it died away......it is amazing that once you say 'kit' or 'self assembly' some people run a mile!

Who has “run a mile”?

The pertinent questions have all been asked and answered for now.

I’m sure there will be more activity when there’s more information.

• Agree 6

2 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

Interesting, after an initial flurry of responses it died away......it is amazing that once you say 'kit' or 'self assembly' some people run a mile!

Maybe a new career for somebody - transforming the kits into ready to lay items ? And it is nearly christmas - judging by the roads round here most families seem intent  on going out and about ( all those essential trips in Tier 3 areas )

Rob

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

As Harlequin has said, we are now entering the waiting phase, I for one am sat patiently salivating.

The "flurry of responses" will restart when we have prices and a physical product to build, then the fiscal pontificators and trackwork "experts" will be along to enlighten us as to where Wayne is going wrong!

Mike.

• Agree 7
  • Funny 1

10 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

I thought the opposite, many seem to like the simplicity of the kits, especially if it takes half an hour to build, and Wayne seems very obliging. If anything these kits may complement existing ranges and certainly put pressure on the ready to run market to offer better products

Anything which improves the availability of better looking and performing trackwork is to be applauded.  Was it the French revolution where "give them cake and they will want more" came from ? 2 bolt chairs for instance, but then it will need plain track as well.  Wayne you may well be quite busy for a time

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

For me it is the possibility of making a point for my self that I look forward to. I consider myself to be the ham-fisted modeller  so any help will be great. Looking forward to the prices etc. As is everyone and I agree with Hayfield it will be a further advance. I still drool over Hayfields post.......

Keith

Edited by KeithHC
Typo sorry Hayfield
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, hayfield said:

If anything these kits may complement existing ranges and certainly put pressure on the ready to run market to offer better products

It could be difficult for Peco to make longer items, such as a scissors crossover in OO, as their machinery isn't long enough to cope. For an example of how they have had to make a work-around, see their O-gauge long crossing.

Edited by Budgie
Removal of tautology
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Thanks Guys,

Next pictures will be an EM Gauge B7 kit. I am sending one to Patrick, and another to one of my customers. Should have these ready to go by the end of the week.

Thanks,
Wayne.

Will you be producing templates so that I could be doing some planning 

Keith

p.s. if you need a guinea pig for trial building...............

Edited by KeithHC
Addition

4 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Yes, templates will be available on the website once the kits are released.

Hi Wayne,

I am following this topic with interest although sadly it is far too late for your EM track system to help me with what is probably my last layout.  I have posted a link to this topic in the EM Gauge Modellers' Facebook Group which is generating a lot of interest amongst an albeit relatively small part of the overall EM community.  I think this system will open the door to more aspiring EM modellers who have been hesitant to make the transition from OO because of the challenges of building their own turnouts.  Its a brilliant idea and I really hope your efforts are rewarded.

Would I be correct in thinking that your templates will be identical to those generated by Templot for the equivalent turnout specification in which case modellers can start planning their layouts now by printing out templates from Templot?

Regards,

Frank

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Hi Wayne,

I am following this topic with interest although sadly it is far too late for your EM track system to help me with what is probably my last layout.  I have posted a link to this topic in the EM Gauge Modellers' Facebook Group which is generating a lot of interest amongst an albeit relatively small part of the overall EM community.  I think this system will open the door to more aspiring EM modellers who have been hesitant to make the transition from OO because of the challenges of building their own turnouts.  Its a brilliant idea and I really hope your efforts are rewarded.

Would I be correct in thinking that your templates will be identical to those generated by Templot for the equivalent turnout specification in which case modellers can start planning their layouts now by printing out templates from Templot?

Regards,

Frank

Thanks Frank,

I appreciate you spreading the word :)

It would be similar but I do modify many parameters so may not be identical.

• RMweb Premium

Once upon a time I did try building a couple of points in P4 using C&L components (K&L in those days I think). The crossing was tricky to get right but was good enough for my test wagons but the bit that I really stuck on was the tiebar. (My soldering skills weren't so advanced at the time but in any case the ideas of either soldering next to the plastic components or of soldering the tiebar in place before positioning the switch rails didn't appeal. These kits look as if they're going to make both those bits easy. Laying everything to gauge wasn't so bad but that's done too. What's the difference between "kit" and "some assembly required"?

That is an incredible price when one compares the competition. If it was me I'd mark them up a bit and retire on the profits!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Hi Guys,

Many have asked for pricing and I have finally received all the manufacturing quotes from the various suppliers in order to set a final retail price for the standard turnout kits.

So, to summarise:

The new 4mm Finetrax 'E-Z Build' standard bullhead rail turnout kits will have the following features:

• Available in:

00 Gauge 'Standard' - This uses 1.25mm flangeways and will allow RTR loco's and stock to run without wheel modification (unless the is a rogue wheelset).

00-SF - This uses 1mm flangeways. 'RTR loco's and stock 'should' run through without modification, but a little more strict in having correct wheel 'back to backs'. The base will have the gauge narrow to 16.2mm through the crossing frog area only, the transition between 16.2mm and 16.5mm will be 'baked' into the turnout base.

EM Gauge - Standard 1mm flangeways as per EMG standards.

All of the above will be available in either thick sleeper (to match Peco bullhead and C&L Thick sleeper) or thin sleeper (to match C&L thin sleeper & SMP track).

• Plastic turnout base complete with ALL chairs fitted to the base as one single piece. Includes standard 3 bolt S1 chairs, P Slide chairs, L1 Bridge chairs, PW & PWX check rail chairs, Correctly represented slab & bracket 'A' chair that bolts the V on the crossing frog.
  • 'Wood' texture on the Timbers.
  • Nickel Silver cast crossing frog, complete with correct blunt nose, correctly aligned over the timber (which has a correct slab & bracket A chair on the base), minimal infill behind the splice, spacer blocks and bolt heads represented, correct wing-rail length, correct end flare on the wing rails, correct knuckle gap radius. Electrical feed wire pre soldered into the cast crossing frog.
  • Cast crossing frog has pins underneath that accurately locates into holes in the plastic base.
  • Pre machined switch blades, complete with pins pre soldered, the pins will locate into pre drilled holes into the tie bar.
  • CNC machined tie bar, with pre drilled holes for both switch rails and 1mm hole for 'switch machine' actuator wire.
  • SMP Nickel Silver Bullhead rail.
  • Full colour printed instructions

The final retail price for the complete kits will be £22.99 plus postage.

After working solidly on these since March, I hope these kits will help many a modeller in fulfilling their dream model railway plan to fruition!

Thanks,
Wayne.

Are you able/prepared to predict the likely available date, and are you taking pre-orders?

Frank

Hi Frank,

The B7 kit should be released in January.

I've been in the product design & manufacturing business since 2005 (camera accessories) and 2011 (model railway) and I've learnt that 'pre orders' is an ugly word. I've found its not great for either the supplier or customer (maybe an exception for Kickstarter projects, when that's the model).

Thanks,
Wayne.

Edited by Wayne Kinney
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Hi Guys,

Many have asked for pricing and I have finally received all the manufacturing quotes from the various suppliers in order to set a final retail price for the standard turnout kits.

So, to summarise:

The new 4mm Finetrax 'E-Z Build' standard bullhead rail turnout kits will have the following features:

• Available in:

00 Gauge 'Standard' - This uses 1.25mm flangeways and will allow RTR loco's and stock to run without wheel modification (unless the is a rogue wheelset).

00-SF - This uses 1mm flangeways. 'RTR loco's and stock 'should' run through without modification, but a little more strict in having correct wheel 'back to backs'. The base will have the gauge narrow to 16.2mm through the crossing frog area only, the transition between 16.2mm and 16.5mm will be 'baked' into the turnout base.

EM Gauge - Standard 1mm flangeways as per EMG standards.

All of the above will be available in either thick sleeper (to match Peco bullhead and C&L Thick sleeper) or thin sleeper (to match C&L thin sleeper & SMP track).

• Plastic turnout base complete with ALL chairs fitted to the base as one single piece. Includes standard 3 bolt S1 chairs, P Slide chairs, L1 Bridge chairs, PW & PWX check rail chairs, Correctly represented slab & bracket 'A' chair that bolts the V on the crossing frog.
  • 'Wood' texture on the Timbers.
  • Nickel Silver cast crossing frog, complete with correct blunt nose, correctly aligned over the timber (which has a correct slab & bracket A chair on the base), minimal infill behind the splice, spacer blocks and bolt heads represented, correct wing-rail length, correct end flare on the wing rails, correct knuckle gap radius. Electrical feed wire pre soldered into the cast crossing frog.
  • Cast crossing frog has pins underneath that accurately locates into holes in the plastic base.
  • Pre machined switch blades, complete with pins pre soldered, the pins will locate into pre drilled holes into the tie bar.
  • CNC machined tie bar, with pre drilled holes for both switch rails and 1mm hole for 'switch machine' actuator wire.
  • SMP Nickel Silver Bullhead rail.
  • Full colour printed instructions

The final retail price for the complete kits will be £22.99 plus postage.

After working solidly on these since March, I hope these kits will help many a modeller in fulfilling their dream model railway plan to fruition!

Thanks,
Wayne.

Wayne,

To me that price is a very pleasant surprise, I was expecting it to be around the £30 mark.

• Agree 3